Galaxy--A Few Questions

ionsys

Hello folks

We were on 4 cruises in a row back in the early 80's (Caribbean) but got tired of them and opted for AI land resorts (more peaceful etc).

But we have decided to tour the Greek Islands and so I've been using *****.com to bring up various itineraries and ships etc. We are looking for 10-12days

After kicking the tires, it would appear that our best route is to get the Galaxy out of Rome's port as it goes to many of the places we have in mind.

Being a casual type who normally dislikes dressing up for dinner on vacation, i'm of course wondering about whether or not we could get around the formal nights (3) by instead simply going casual to the Oasis Cafe. Is this a buffet type of set up or are we served? More important-are the food choices of a wide variety or is it quite limited. Is the food similar to the food served in the main dining room?

We are quite used to buffet style in upscale AI resorts in Mexico and the Caribbean and some resorts offer very good selections. So I'm hopeful that maybe the Oasis Cafe would be ok for us on those 3 nights

One other question if I may. We are tempted to book an inside cabin--are there some decks below the water line --eg where are the Continental Deck, Panorama Deck, Skydeck and Penthouse Deck located in this regard--and which of these decks are the highest up and which is the furthest down?

Just came across this amazing site--many of you here have sure been on a gazillion different cruises--cheers to all

Welcome - this site is amazing. You will learn so much information here you will be an "expert" in no time. Now back to your question

The casual dining is in the buffet area. It is a sit down meal (with the exception of sushi) on a limited menu. The service is good and the food is as good as the dining room. They ask that you tip your server $2.00 pp for their service to you.

If you go to the website you mentioned (its against the rules to mention TAs on this website) and on the home page look at the top for "cruise lines and ships" click on that link and go down to Celebrity Galaxy. Pull up the info on Galaxy there is a link to the deck plans. I don't believe that any passenger decks are "below the water line"

Well good luck and happy cruising

Hi Ionsys

I don't believe there are any passenger decks on the Galaxy below the waterline. If you go to www.celebrity.com there is a deck tour for each ship, showing the relative positions. We recently booked Galaxy out of Civitavecchia (the port for Rome) for the 1st Aug sailing, which I guess is similar to the one you are considering.

On the Galaxy last January we dined in the Oasis Cafe ( in fact on one of the formal evenings) we were served and there was a menu to choose from. (dropping a small tip is suggested). It pays to make a reservation. I am sure others on this board could give you a fuller explanation. .

In my opinion the 'formality' is likely to drop off as airlines intoduce more and more baggage restrictions and it becomes increasingly difficult to pack all the clothes needed for 3 different types of evening attire. BTW european airlines generally restrict baggage (in economy) to 1 bag at max 20kg (44lbs) So next week on our trip to the Caribbean we are are going to try and pack as though it was a euro trip, albeit we have plenty of allowance.

Hope the foregoing assists in your deliberations.

Roy & Jennifer

Hi, the casual dining venue looked quite nice. Tablecloths with

waiter service. I did see the menu but sorry, did not bring one

home with me.

There were about 3 or 4 choices of entrees.....a chicken, fish?

and beef or I believe I might have seen a pasta. So, no there

are not as many choices in the Main Dining Room.

I ate in the dining room each evening but I did notice the

casual dining always had folks there as well.

I was walking by and one of my friends was eating there...I stopped

by for a moment to say hello and the meal looked good. She had

ordered the chicken that evening. It looked like it was roasted,

had veggies and potatoe with it as well.

Hflors--what are you thinking re "limited" menu? eg is it the same menu selection choices every night?--example of 1 night's menu?

DH and I have used the casual dining area exclusively on two of our Celebrity cruises. On Millennium and Century they used the same menus on each cruise. They alternate between 3 different menus, so if you choose a different entree each evening you will have enough variety to last you the cruise. The salad bar is open every evening, along with the pasta bar. Several times I ordered an appetizer in the casual dining and then went along and made myself a salad at the salad bar and brought back to the casual dining room. Several evenings, DH had pizza off the casual dining menu for his entree (we aren't really big eaters and after a while 4-course meals just get to be too much so it's nice to be able to eat light). We like the ability to eat when we choose (usually around 7:00). Plus, the area is very quiet and we have the opportunity to get to know the servers. At the beginning of the cruises there were very few who used the casual dining area, but as the nights went on more and more discovered it and towards the end of the cruise it was normally full. The area has around 20-25 tables, with great tables for 2 right next to the windows. They set the area up beautifully and you have the added bonus of being able to see out the windows.

We've always observed the dress code for the evening, but others have come to the casual dining on informal/formal nights wearing business casual dress. If you are going to use the public areas on formal nights, you really are asked dressed accordingly. But if you don't want to take formal dress, as long as you're dressed nicely, you won't have a problem attending the shows and lounges. We've done it a few times and haven't been made to walk the plank yet;).

I don't think you'll find any modern cruiseships that have any cabins below the water line. Just check to see what's around your cabin (lounges above, near the reception desk, etc.) that could produce unwanted sounds. If you can surround yourself with cabins above and below you can't go too wrong. If you select a cabin area, you can always pose the question on Cruise Critic and ask others if they think you've made a good decision. There is also a "Search this forum" area at the top right. Just put in a word of two about what you want to know and it will pull up all the forums that relate to the search.

Personally, I don't think you can go wrong with a Celebrity cruise. We've loved all of ours and can't wait until this coming Friday when we sail on Galaxy.

Happy cruising.

Lynn

DH and I were on the Galaxy recently and enjoyed inside cabin #8053. It's not the "cheapest" category and was over the show lounge. A few of the nights, we could hear music from the later show, but it wasn't bad. We thought the inside cabins were plenty spacious . . . and there are plenty of areas for relaxing on ship where you can see the sights, both of people and the sea. But then, we usually select inside cabins so we can cruise more often and spend our $ on other parts of the cruise.

The Galaxy isn't fancy, but is clean and provides a good cruise. Enjoy it, should you book. And enjoy Cruise Critic. There is so much good advice. All you have to do is look for it, and ask plenty of questions. Someone out there has an answer for you!

:):):) ninkb

If you want to cruise Galaxy to the Med. do it this summer because she is being replaced next year by Solstice. We have been putting off doing the 11-night Galaxy Med cruise waiting for friends to go with us. Friends aren't ready yet, so we decided to do it ourselves. I was bummed to find out she isn't going to be doing Med cruises anymore after this summer. (That's what I get for waiting!)

We are booked on her for next Jan. for the S. Carib, but after that winter, some posters think she might be taken out of Celebrity's service altogether, a sad thing if true. :eek:

X's website shows only a 10-night Med cruise for Solstice next Jan and pretty pricey. We wanted to do Galaxy 11 nights and the 5-night land tour to Italy. But now are going to book Summit's 12-night Barcelona-Venice, which includes all of the Italian cities of the land tour plus Athens and another Greek port, which I wanted. No Turkey, but DH was leery of Turkey anyway.

In the long run, it's cheaper than the cruise + land tour. We sailed Summit to Alaska in Aug. '03, our first X cruise. We sailed Galaxy to the PC in Feb. '05. I hope she stays in the fleet.

We book rooms on the lowest or second lowest deck toward the center for seasickness prevention.

We have sailed 4 times on both X and RCCL and love both lines. Looking forward to the 2 X cruises next year. :D

I am not sure why some consider the casual dining venue very nice - it is completely open to those that are walking through the Oasis and although it does have table cloths, that does not transform an open, buffet style room into a very nice table service dining room. It is however acceptable if you do not wish to dress up for the main dining room.

quote by calagarygary

" am not sure why some consider the casual dining venue very nice"

Gary, I guess that was directed at me since I said it looked

nice there.

In my opinion it looked like a very nice area...tablecloths

and full service. I saw a few people I knew who ate there

and were enjoying themselves.

I was just giving my opinion.....and that is fine you have a difference

from it. It does not make either one of us right or wrong.

That is why they are opinions.

Hflors--what are you thinking re "limited" menu? eg is it the same menu selection choices every night?--example of 1 night's menu?

"limited" as in maybe one or two salads, one soup and a couple of entrees. The night we dined there there was only one dessert offered. There also wasn't the "additional items that you could order every night" section as in the main dining room. The food was good and service were both very good.

I don't know if the choices change each night we only ate there one evening when we were running late.

I hope this helps.

Welcome ionsys

I've been on Galaxy for an Eastern Med cruise for the last two years. Either of the current itineraries - 10 or 11 night - is excellent. I blogged from Galaxy during the last cruise; if you're interested, have a look here: http://tomtotley.wordpress.com/category/galaxy-2007/

With regard to the formal evenings, you might want to read my blog entry for day 3. This was a formal night, and observance of the dress code was very high. Also, are you aware that even on the other nights Celebrity draw a distinction between 'casual' and 'informal'? The latter is still jacket & tie, and was also pretty well observed. On the 10 night cruise there were definitely 3 formal nights, and then either 3 informal & 4 casual, or 4 informal & 3 casual - I can't remember which.

Although I've said that the Galaxy itinerary is excellent, there are other lines with equally-good itineraries that you might prefer. For example, I think Azamara have reasonable-length cruises in the eastern Med, and their dress policy is non-formal.

Finally, and just to whet your appetite after what may have seemed some discouraging comments, here are some link to pictures I took in the E Med over the last couple of years:

Santorini (2006) http://www.*****/travelpage/aspgallery/view_ad.asp?Ad_ID=2515

Santorini (2007) http://www.*****/travelpage/aspgallery/view_ad.asp?Ad_ID=2890

Mykonos (2006): http://www.*****/travelpage/aspgallery/view_ad.asp?Ad_ID=2702

Capri (from Naples, 2006): http://www.*****/travelpage/aspgallery/view_ad.asp?Ad_ID=2514

Galaxy (2006): http://www.*****/travelpage/aspgallery/view_ad.asp?Ad_ID=2512

Galaxy External (2006): http://www.*****/travelpage/aspgallery/view_ad.asp?Ad_ID=2546

Tom, on the 10 night Caribbean cruise they only had

2 formal nights, though I packed for 3;)

I am thinking the Med is dressier.

I had an absolutely fabulous time on Galaxy:)

Archived