Sleeping in the Midnight Sun

UF G8R

In my readings of this board I havent seen anyone mention anything about sleeping with so few hours of darkness.

We are on the Coral Princess southbound June 2-9 in a balcony minisuite. Do the balcony doors have some sort of black out curtains? And are black out curtains standard in Alaska Hotels? Do you frequent Alaska travelers bring eyeshades to sleep in? Or maybe it doesn’t matter because I’ll want to be outside enjoying every minute of daylight?

On the ship in SE Alaska, sunset will be around 10pm and it will be light until well after 11pm and before 5am in the morning. In the Interior it will not get dark at all. If you have a problem sleeping in a lit room, you will problably want to bring or buy a sleeping mask. Some hotels have blackout curtains, but most don't.

Princess and most cruise ships do have black out drapes for the outside cabins. On my first cruise I did leave the drapes open the first night and was awoken by sunlight streaming into my eyes shortly after 4:00 am. When I looked outside it was so beautiful that I just stayed up and enjoyed the view!

I must say I've never had any problem at all getting to sleep. We've had balcony's on each of our two cruises (this year we're not going the balcony route); and guess it's because each sailing is very port intensive. Each night I was tired by the time my head hit the pillow and each morning ready to start another busy day.

My daughter (25 at the time) was along with us on the first cruise in 2005. She partied late into the early morning (and I mean way into the early morning). She loved Alaska so much she didn't want to miss anything, and would wake up early to get up to the bow of the ship to enjoy the wildlife sightings and wonders of the surrounding beauty of Alaska! She told me later that she was reduced to tears 3 times by the shear beauty of what she was experiencing! I asked her how she did it: She said she really though it was because of all the sunlight - it energized her!

Enjoy your trip!

In my readings of this board I havent seen anyone mention anything about sleeping with so few hours of darkness.

We are on the Coral Princess southbound June 2-9 in a balcony minisuite. Do the balcony doors have some sort of black out curtains? And are black out curtains standard in Alaska Hotels? Do you frequent Alaska travelers bring eyeshades to

I hate eyeshades. They have never felt right against my eyes. Want a dark cabin? Book an inside cabin-even for Alaska IMO. But I guess that would be for another cruise. Your first day or two (?) in Anchorage you might want to stay up very late anyway. Go for a walk at midnight, play softball, etc., etc. Just enjoy the thrill of being in a unique place. As former Alaskans, we did have difficulty trying to sleep in the summer but more so in Anchorage then when we lived in Southeastern (Juneau, Ketchikan, etc.), where you will spend most of your cruise.

We were on almost the same cruise last year - the Coral southbound June 11th. Our balcony room had very good blackout curtains and I had a much easier time sleeping on the ship than I did on the land portion of our trip. Must have been the gentle rocking.:)

Even though I brought a very good eye mask, it seemed that my body knew it was still light out when we did our 8-day precruise land trip. I had trouble going to sleep most nights.

It really didn't bother me tho. It just allowed me more time to experience Alaska. I just seemed to have limitless energy while I was there.

I was just talking with the other 3 people that went with me and they said the same thing! :D

I think those who wake with the sun will have problems, not to state the obvious. I just think some people are more influenced by light than others.

I was born here, and don't have any problem sleeping in daylight--I think it's a survival instinct. :D In fact, I'm a night owl, which means I have these odd conversations with myself in the summer: "Uh oh, the sun's coming up; I better get to bed!"

can someone explain the midnight sun to me? will there be any darkness on my trip may. 4th, 2008 to juneau, skagway and ketchican? this is the first time i have read about it. :)

Yes you will have darkness as you aren't going so far north and it is early in the season. Very early!

I love the tip about the pants clips on the hanger in the closet. Brilliant!

Thanks to all for the advice and I will use all the suggestions: bringing clips for the curtains, bringing a sleeping mask and bringing ambien!

We will have two nights in Anchorage but since we will be shifting from eastern coast time, Im thinking that we'll be able to sleep.

I have been on 5 cruises with balcony rooms. All were completely dark. In June, it got dark aound 11:30 PM and light I think around 2:30 AM on our June trip. I remember the first time we went to Alaska, in Ketchikan, we heard the seaplanes riving their engines and taking off. Looked out the window and seen a seaplane 40 feet form the ship taking off. A Balcony room is a must in alaska.

can someone explain the midnight sun to me? will there be any darkness on my trip may. 4th, 2008 to juneau, skagway and ketchican? this is the first time i have read about it. :)

I think upthread someone posted a site where you can check the hours. I noticed yesterday that there was still some light on the mountains at 8pm. Even in early May, the daylight hours are going to be later and earlier than you're accustomed to.

I think upthread someone posted a site where you can check the hours. I noticed yesterday that there was still some light on the mountains at 8pm. Even in early May, the daylight hours are going to be later and earlier than you're accustomed to.

You can check the sunrise/sunset time at www.sunrisesunset.com.

Archived