Canada Customs question

e050377

Friends of ours would like to cruise to Canada, but are worried. The husband has a DUAI from when he was in college. I have friends who were turned away driving across the border because of the same thing. Will this happen cruising? Would he just be sent back to the ship for the day? They don't mind if he gets sent back to the ship for the day, because she could go into town with us. They just don't want him to be detained. Anyone know?

There is a chance that he will not be allowed to leave the ship. There have been reports on this forum of many people being kept onboard at Canadian ports for various reasons. I would plan on not being able to go ashore, and if it doesn't happen, smile and enjoy.

Cheers,

If the offense occurred more than 5 years ago and he can demonstrate to the Customs Officer that he as rehabilitated himself then there will likely not be an issue. It is highly unlikely the Customs Officers is even going to ask if he has any prior convictions but if asked than he should tell the truth, explain how long ago it happened and what rehabilitation courses he has taken. At the very worst he will be sent back to the ship but in all likelihood he will be allowed off the ship. I would personally take the chance if I was in his position.

If the offense occurred more than 5 years ago and he can demonstrate to the Customs Officer that he as rehabilitated himself then there will likely not be an issue. It is highly unlikely the Customs Officers is even going to ask if he has any prior convictions but if asked than he should tell the truth, explain how long ago it happened and what rehabilitation courses he has taken. At the very worst he will be sent back to the ship but in all likelihood he will be allowed off the ship. I would personally take the chance if I was in his position.

I am very sorry to say I would not take this as good advice. From all I have read recently, Canadian Officials have access to U.S. criminal records in recent years and they check the manifests. We have absolutely read on these boards about people who were not permitted entry into Canada because of very old mistakes they made many years ago such as DUI and marijuana and such. There have been cruisers who were not permitted to simply travel from airport where they landed to join their ship. They had leave Canada and not take their cruise.

PLEASE do not depend upon such important information from posters on a BB. Get it from the authorities so you know the rules/laws and can do what you need to do in order to enjoy your cruise.

Living on the border of the US and CA we hear about this often. One thing that MAY help is to travel on a passport and NOT with a birth certificate and driver's license. If you use a DL the DUI will show up when they run your DL number... sometimes, if you use a passport, DUIs don't show up. However, other convictions would (ie controlled substance)... In the end, there's no way to know if he will be allowed into CA. Those passengers who do not "pass the test" are told they have to stay onboard. At least he knows there's a chance he might not be allowed off the ship. Lots of passengers don't find out until they reach the first Canadian port that they can't actually disembark in Canada.

FWIW, the US has the similar restrictions on Canadians entering the US.

In Canada, a DUI is a criminal code offense, just like if you got nabbed for robbery or assault, etc. This is why it's cause for refusal of entry to Canada. Not sure how it is classified in the US and what type of legal remedy there is, such as a pardon. A pardon isn't failsafe, because neither side recognizes pardons from the other, but if you haven't had your name searched at the border prior to the pardon, it won't show up after the pardon has been granted. But if you are in the system showing a criminal record, a pardon won't remove it. In this case you need a waiver.

I am very sorry to say I would not take this as good advice. From all I have read recently, Canadian Officials have access to U.S. criminal records in recent years and they check the manifests. We have absolutely read on these boards about people who were not permitted entry into Canada because of very old mistakes they made many years ago such as DUI and marijuana and such. There have been cruisers who were not permitted to simply travel from airport where they landed to join their ship. They had leave Canada and not take their cruise.

PLEASE do not depend upon such important information from posters on a BB. Get it from the authorities so you know the rules/laws and can do what you need to do in order to enjoy your cruise.

I am very sorry to say that this not the answer to the question asked but I do agree when in doubt ask. The information I provided is correct in substance and here is the link for your benefit and that of the OP. It will all hinge on how long ago the DUI occured and how the Customs Officer choses to deal with the matter. As I said, the worst case scenario is your friend will not be allowed off the ship. http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/visit/conviction.asp#deemed

I am not sure from OP's post if their cruise originates in Canada. It is possible they could fly to Montreal planning to transfer to the ship and be refused entry into the country....therefore, refused the ability to board the ship.

Every summer we cruise from Boston to Montreal and back to Boston as back-to-back cruises. One week the cruise boards in Boston, the next week, it boards in Montreal.

Worst case scenario could be inability to reach the ship.

They may also be denied boarding if it is a cruise to Canada and the manifest is checked ahead of time by Canadian authorities, which is more likely to happen on a cruise that ends in Canada, but may happen on round trip cruises that stop in Canada.

Archived