Lawsuits filed in the fuel surcharge against Carnival

Mikel1733

Maybe I can sue the gas co for high gas prices ?? Airlines for the fuel surcharge for my ticket to Florida. The truckers for higher and higher prices for food. Drop the fuel surcharge and just up the cruise price just like other s do. Its going to happen one way or another. The world is paying higher fuel prices not just in the good old USA.

Maybe I can sue the gas co for high gas prices ?? Airlines for the fuel surcharge for my ticket to Florida. The truckers for higher and higher prices for food.

None of those groups raises your price after you sign the contract.

Drop the fuel surcharge and just up the cruise price just like other s do.

Agreed, if they were honest this is what they'd do.

The world is paying higher fuel prices not just in the good old USA.

Not really. Most of the increase in oil prices is due solely to the collapse of the US dollar. Other countries haven't seen the precipitous rise in fuel costs that we have. Thank our nation's incompetent leadership for that.

The fuel price was inserted at a time that everybody could CX their cruise if it bothered them. We went in Jan and no fuel price increase till Feb 4th and after. You had a choice. Gas prices in europe $8 to $10 a liter. Finland was $11.00. That was 2 years ago when we were there. Even if something happens and they fine the cruise companys , Guess who will pay for it.

The fuel price was inserted at a time that everybody could CX their cruise if it bothered them. We went in Jan and no fuel price increase till Feb 4th and after. You had a choice. Gas prices in europe $8 to $10 a liter. Finland was $11.00. That was 2 years ago when we were there. Even if something happens and they fine the cruise companys , Guess who will pay for it.

While i dont disagree with you on your facts i think the problem most people have with the charge is similar to my feelings.. I booked and paid in full last July 07 for May 08.

Sort like being told to come back into the store for an additional payment because there was a increase.

I know supply costs go up.. I know its passed on down to the consumer

I think how and when they chose to pass it down is the issue.

Direct quote from article:

"Four lawsuits filed in the Southern District of Florida in the last month accuse several major cruise line companies, including Royal Caribbean Cruises Ltd. and Carnival Corp. and PLC, of colluding to fix artificially high fuel surcharges."

Nothing, repeat nothing to do with back charging existing bookings.

That isn't the argument in the lawsuits they are claiming price-fixing between Carnival and RCI. Two entirely different issues.

Exactly! "allege the cruise lines entered into a cartel to raise fuel surcharges beyond the level needed to cover the cost of rising oil prices."

lawsuit has nothing to do or not if it was legal to charge it to begin with.

Direct quote from article:

"Four lawsuits filed in the Southern District of Florida in the last month accuse several major cruise line companies, including Royal Caribbean Cruises Ltd. and Carnival Corp. and PLC, of colluding to fix artificially high fuel surcharges."

Nothing, repeat nothing to do with back charging existing bookings.

I could not get into the link to read it.. SO I assumed the OP was speaking of the topic (of similar threads) regarding the FC

Although this is not what the Lawsuits are for...I would like to point out. If you want to use this argument, then please don't contact the cruiseline for a refund or OBC when you see the price of your cruise drop.

If you expect Carnival or RCI to be bound by the contract, then you should be expected to be bound by the contract. You signed a contract for a set price, you should pay that price following this logic.

GT...I am not directing this comment at you specifically, but to the general cruiser who constantly badgers their TA or PVP for a Credit for refund when they see the price drop. Those same folks will complain and threaten to sue over the Fuel Surcharge.

Would be nice if the article got things right...

In November, Carnival announced a fuel surcharge of $5 a person, per day on all of its cruises, and Royal Caribbean announced a hike of $7 a person, per day.

From what I have read the RCCL surcharge was also $5 ppd. I think it was NCL that went $7 ppd.

http://news.moneycentral.msn.com/provider/providerarticle.aspx?feed=ACBJ&date=20080324&id=8374995 same article just on MSN Money

I agree it's silly to pursue a lawsuit, as Carnival actually has contract language to protect them. I chose instead to demand an equal OBC for my September cruise, which I did get. I just don't like when people try to justify the dishonest and underhanded method of the fuel surcharge, especially when implemented after booking.

Agreed, if they were honest this is what they'd do.

Not really. Most of the increase in oil prices is due solely to the collapse of the US dollar. Other countries haven't seen the precipitous rise in fuel costs that we have. Thank our nation's incompetent leadership for that.

Ditto.....I echo that.........:p

Not actually...the increase is because of futures speculation. Other countries already are paying $4-5 per gallon. The weakening dollar does exactly the opposite, because the price of oil is tied to the dollary by OPEC, not us. We have traditionally had the lowest gas prices in the world, and probably still do. This clearly is one area that can't be laid on Washington's doorstep. With a free-market economy things happen like this. The ones who benefit are the Saudis and Kuwaitis, along with a very few speculators that timed it right.

Sounds like you've been listening to political rhetoric more than your Economics 101 class.

Not actually...the increase is because of futures speculation. Other countries already are paying $4-5 per gallon. The weakening dollar does exactly the opposite, because the price of oil is tied to the dollary by OPEC, not us. We have traditionally had the lowest gas prices in the world, and probably still do. This clearly is one area that can't be laid on Washington's doorstep. With a free-market economy things happen like this. The ones who benefit are the Saudis and Kuwaitis, along with a very few speculators that timed it right.

Sounds like you've been listening to political rhetoric more than your Economics 101 class.

I think it's you who needs the economics lesson. ;)

Check out the fuel prices worldwide and get back to me. Sure they've always been more expensive than ours, but they haven't gone through the steep increases that we have in the last few years. Oil costs more in Dollars per barrel than it did a year ago, but it doesn't cost more in Euros per barrel than it did a year ago (yes, I'm aware that for now it's only traded in dollars, but once you convert to the local currency, the price in EUros per barrel just hasn't risen like the price in Dollars per barrel).

The price of the raw gas in Europe is about the same as the U.S., but Europe taxes gasoline at a higher rate.

Taxes in France make up about 70% of the pump price.

The average U.S. federal gasoline tax is 47 cents per gallon. That makes the maximum gasoline tax rate 17% in the U.S.

The price of the raw gas in Europe is about the same as the U.S., but Europe taxes gasoline at a higher rate.

Taxes in France make up about 70% of the pump price.

The average U.S. federal gasoline tax is 47 cents per gallon. That makes the maximum gasoline tax rate 17% in the U.S.

Sorry but had to add, remember when 47 cents was half of the price of a gallon of gas? Now the rate of tax seems more reasonable. Wonder when the US will decide that they need to raise taxes on gas? Now that would put us in for a spin and the recession might just be "offical" then.

Archived