Southern Caribbean Cruisers

phinfan63

hey "i hate snow" i just booked the carnival victory in jan 2009 ....which week are you?? im doing the 1/18-1/25 out of san juan this will be my first cruise ever!

Hey there…I think you picked a good one for your first one. It’s a busy itinerary with no real sea days to speak of and for a first timer I think it’s a good way to get acclimated to a ship, especially in the Southern Caribbean. The west and east can be a little rough sailing at times and when out to sea all day you may notice it more, whereas on this one you’ll really be doing most of the sailing at night while sleeping.

We’re actually going the week before you. You can check the roll call boards to find others on your week. Btw….a cool plus going out of San Juan is they have a duty free store right in the terminal and you can toss a bottle in your carry-on without being questioned.

Please give us a list for the other islands. I've actually been to some of them but always willing to try a different beach. The sad part is I'm not sure I even remember which beaches we went to !

I suffer from CRS too and I’m not sure how much is self induced via rum…lol

I’ll do my best here though.

St Thomas- has a cool beach at Coki Point-I believe it’s called Coki Beach oddly enough. Beautiful water, excellent snorkeling. It’s a little more of a party atmosphere there. Be sure to meet the Mailman, he runs a munchy/drink shack with his family. He’s a character and a lot of fun. There is also Megan’s Bay which is very picturesque. It’s more like a lake there and kind of boring IMHO but it is beautiful.

You can also take a ferry over to St John which is another beautiful little island. Great snorkeling. I may do this one next time. It’s a little pricey & time consuming but worth it.

Antigua- They are know for beaches here. They claim to have one for every day of the year. Half moon and Darkwood are a couple that come to mind. There’s another right next to the Grand Pineapple resort (forgot the name-crs again). Anyway it was very nice there, decent snorkeling and a resort right there on the beach has the best rum punch I ever had. You should have no problem finding a beach on this island.

Barbados- I went to the boatyard last time and that’s decent for kids because of the activities. Not a bad place but too overdeveloped for me. I’m going to Crane Beach next time. It looks amazing and there’s a resort on that will give a chair & umbrella and you can use your deposit as meal vouchers for lunch.

St Kitts-never been there so I will be browsing this site to get some pointers

St Lucia- I guess there are a couple of resorts that have beaches that you can use with a day pass. Like I said before not a “beachy” place. I’ve heard the catamaran tours are pretty cool and offer some snorkeling plus great views of the Pitons.

Dominica- See St Lucia- I might add that Champagne bay is supposed to have some cool snorkeling here. There’s also river tubing that looks cool. This island is worthy of an interior tour. I highly recommend Beno’s tour. He’s sincere, has great knowledge of the island and is very proud of his people & home.

Hope that helps.

Bottom’s up!

Hey there… Btw….a cool plus going out of San Juan is they have a duty free store right in the terminal and you can toss a bottle in your carry-on without being questioned.

i thought they checked carry on ? my husband likes whiskey and scotch ..ill carry the wine;) i think from reading the threads here people have been saying to pack up in checked luggage im still trying to figuare that out.. i do want to bring water on board.

i thought they checked carry on ? my husband likes whiskey and scotch ..ill carry the wine;) i think from reading the threads here people have been saying to pack up in checked luggage im still trying to figuare that out.. i do want to bring water on board.

From everything I've read on these boards it sounds like San Juan is the only place that you can buy liquor at the duty free store and put it in your carryon and no one says anything. I usually bring wine (which is allowed) but plan to buy liquor too and see how that goes.

ihatesnow ~ thanks for the run down of the beaches. If I'm not mistaken the beach by the Grand Pineapple Resort is Long Bay because I think we went there last year. It was nice and DH said the snorkeling was pretty good.

From everything I've read on these boards it sounds like San Juan is the only place that you can buy liquor at the duty free store and put it in your carryon and no one says anything. I usually bring wine (which is allowed) but plan to buy liquor too and see how that goes.

ihatesnow ~ thanks for the run down of the beaches. If I'm not mistaken the beach by the Grand Pineapple Resort is Long Bay because I think we went there last year. It was nice and DH said the snorkeling was pretty good.

Long Bay sounds familiar.

Yes indeed the San Jaun port does allow acohol in carry on. They will not question 1 liter. You can get back off the ship and bring another on second pass through too. I also would not flaunt it.

I asked Carnival people last time and they said this is the only port where they are lenient with the policy. That was 2007 but from posts that I've read, it has not changed.

so is Phinfan psyched to have the Big Tuna running the show? He scares me and with him there you guys will be competetive again and you'll be finding ways to beat my Pats!

so is Phinfan psyched to have the Big Tuna running the show? He scares me and with him there you guys will be competetive again and you'll be finding ways to beat my Pats!

After the last couple years ~ I'm not holding my breath or anything. Hopefully they'll be do better this year (like win a game or something) :D

I am thinking of booking this trip and going in on the 24th and staying in Old San Juan. Are there any roll calls yet for this cruise?

I'm going then!!! Just booked last week aft balcony. Still paying for last months cruise and felt guily about charging the deposit and airfare so soon,but I was worried the price would go up.I was right! My room is now $100.00 more this week.Paid $355.00 rt Bos/San Juan.I thought that was a good price for airfaire direct.:) :D ;) :p

I'm going then!!! Just booked last week aft balcony. Still paying for last months cruise and felt guily about charging the deposit and airfare so soon,but I was worried the price would go up.I was right! My room is now $100.00 more this week.Paid $355.00 rt Bos/San Juan.I thought that was a good price for airfaire direct.:) :D ;) :p

I've been gambling on airfare myself and you're rate looks pretty good. I've been watching Logan along with Bradley, the best I saw at Logan over the last 6 weeks was about $325 for direct. Direct is the only way to go when flying from the northest in January.

I am thinking of booking this trip and going in on the 24th and staying in Old San Juan. Are there any roll calls yet for this cruise?

I started a roll call last week but not much chatting so far. Please book and join the roll call!

paleskin ~ please come on over and join the roll call.

I'm still holding out on the airfare hoping it will drop a little. Unfortunately, it doesn't seem that Memphis has any direct flights so we'll probably end up connecting in Atlanta. That's ok though since our flight will more than likely leave at the butt crack of dawn ~ Atlanta will give us time to grab something to eat :D

I started a roll call last week but not much chatting so far. Please book and join the roll call!

paleskin ~ please come on over and join the roll call.

I'm still holding out on the airfare hoping it will drop a little. Unfortunately, it doesn't seem that Memphis has any direct flights so we'll probably end up connecting in Atlanta. That's ok though since our flight will more than likely leave at the butt crack of dawn ~ Atlanta will give us time to grab something to eat :D

I can't figure out where to find the roll call????

Hi there

What is everyone looking at for airfare to San Juan in 2009.? Am also

interested in the 3/1/09 Victory cruise, but the airfare is TERRIBLE :eek:

We love the southern itinerary and this will be our third time.

Archived