Rome-tours with less walking

I don't need a wheel chair but we are in our 60's and I have a bad knee...would love ideas for tours that do not include 3-4 hours of walking inside Rome. Some walking is fine. There are only 2 of us and the private car tours run around 600 for the day....a bit too steep for us (same price for a large group) This is our second trip to Rome...we have seen the Vatican...want to see everything else. We have a one day bus tour to Umbria booked.

any creative ideas? Thanks in advance

Just an idea but perhaps if you could get another couple to join you,you could have a private tour and divide the cost. We had a private tour in Rome and I found that it saved alot of walking,which I wouldn't have minded doing if we had had more time,but since we were only there for a limited amount of hrs.,we wanted to get the most out of Rome.

With the driver we had, he was able to get us into the tiniest of spaces which meant that we had few steps to get to the attraction. It was great. Even with 4 people,one could personalize the tour to make sure you get to see what you want to see.

JUst a suggestion-I hope things work out for you! Shelly

Hop On/Hop Off buses at either Termini Station or Vatican. Gives you the option to ride to all the different sites, spend time at each site, or just stay on the bus and make the circuit. You decide how much walking you want to do.

http://www.viator.com/tours/Rome/Rome-Hop-On-Hop-Off-Double-Decker-Bus-Tour/d511-3523ROMOPEN

I believe I paid $23 pp. I've made so many reservations, it's difficult to remember what the shuttle, ho/ho bus, tours in Venice, etc. cost. But I know I'm not paying $300, 400, 500 for private tours anywhere. I am also in my 60's with a bad back and my friend is 79 with bad knees, back, hip and asthma, so not a lot of walking for us either.

thanks so much. The Hop on hop off sound good .....but how far are the attractions from the stops?

Has anyone tried the golf cart tours?

any other ideas?

where did you see the golf cart tours advertised?.. I have friends who would be interested.. thanks for any information on this

I’m not a fan of the HoHo busses. You often have to wait in line to board, particularly at the more popular sites, and may have to wait for a second or third bus. Loading and unloading is very slow. Those with mobility problems will struggle to get to the upper level, where everyone wants to be. The audio system does not always work, and when it does, the street noises compete. You often still have to walk quite a long way to get to some sites, and may also have to wait in lines to get in. Busses also get stuck in traffic which adds to the touring time.

Try sharing taxies, private tours, taking public transportation, and walking to get a flavor of the city. We’ve done a lot of travel in Europe, and HoHos are the last choice of our transportation options.

With the traffic, crazy drivers and vespas zipping around, I wouldn't want to be driving a golf cart around Rome. We had a car, but stayed outside the city and rode the train into the city center. Then really watched where we walked because of all the traffic. Then at the end of the day, back on the train out to our little town/hotel in the county.

And unlike FLJudi, I love the Ho/Ho buses. I even use them In NYC, London, Amsterdam, Budapest. I think they are a great inexpensive way to get an overview of the city.

lovelylady, If you click on the link, then open the PDF file, a map opens showing the different stops and how close/far they are from the site. I tried to do the map, but it's too large.

http://www.roma.city-sightseeing.it/eng/index.htm

I wouldn't be too discouraged over that post that really shot down the HOHO buses. I have a pulmonary problem and I found that this form of tourist site viewing has many more pluses than negatives. Infact I'll use the HOHO bus system anywhere I see them from now on. It's a good idea for a person without a 100% normal physical situation. :)

Archived