Researching Radiance Alaskan cruise with baby: how is AquaBabies?

Hello cruisers,

DH and I are researching an Alaskan cruise for August with our son (who will be 1) and my in-laws. The best option to meet all of our needs and desires looks like Royal Caribbean's Radiance of the Seas, departing from Vancouver and arriving at Seward.

I have read on the Alaska boards that many cruisers feel that RCCL doesn't "get" Alaska, but the family-friendly features of this cruise line (esp. the in-cabin babysitting and AquaBabies playgroups) are very appealing to me.

I'm curious to hear about any experiences cruising with an infant. If you made use of these amenities, what did you think?

Also, if you did any land tours after your cruise (or before, if you did a southbound cruise), any tips or suggestions for touring with a baby?

Bumping this up since there haven't been any responses yet and now there are 2 of us wondering about the kids' programming! I checked a bunch of Member Reviews and noticed how few had rated the kids' programming at all (and most that did had teenagers). I'm assuming that families with young kids do go on the Alaskan cruise (I called RCI today and they told me that they do indeed have AquaBabies on the Radiance of the Seas, so they must have a market for it!).

Our son did the Aquababies on the Mariner when he was 11 months old. It's a 45 minute playgroup session with Fisher-Price toys appropriate to the age on a floor covered with the foam puzzle mat with everyone's shoes off. They start and end each session with a song. Each day usually has a particular theme although favorites (like the FP learn and grow house) tend to come out often as they know the kids love it. We loved Aquababies and Aquatots as it gave our son a chance to interact with other kids (although he did catch sniffles there on one cruise from another child) and it's great that he can play with toys that we didn't have to bring along. They did wipe down the toys with wipes after each session.. our group just had one child there who was sick and spread it. One adult must accompany the child to the session.

We also used the babysitting once he passed the 1 year requirement and it was great on those cruises to have a night off and come back to the cabin with him sleeping!

Archived