does anyone know????????

llt

Most of the legacy lines usually release their fares at 330 days out. But the low cost carriers don't release their fares until much closer to flight time (usually 4 to 6 months out).

You may not want to book as soon as flights come out. In my experience, flights booked way ahead of time are very likely to have the times changed. Sometimes this works out to the customer's advantage, but a couple of times AA changed the times significantly, and my layovers ended up being tediously long or nerve-wrackingly short.

You may not want to book as soon as flights come out. In my experience, flights booked way ahead of time are very likely to have the times changed. Sometimes this works out to the customer's advantage, but a couple of times AA changed the times significantly, and my layovers ended up being tediously long or nerve-wrackingly short.

The flip side to booking early, especially now, is locking in a fare. I'd much rather have to deal with schedule changes rather than seeing my fare go up several hundred dollars.

It's a deal with the devil you're making: buy now to lock in the price but know the flight times could shift (or the flight is cancelled) or wait and gamble and see what prices are closer to the flight, but when schedules may be a bit more locked-in.

I didn't gamble. I bought now and saved money over this past years airline fare. For this past feb paid 495.00 rt for two from IAD to SJU. I just paid $485.00 RT for two, non-stop IAD - SJU for Jan 09. The first thing this year that was less than last year.

I am going to keep my fingers crossed that they don't change me to a stop especially in MIA!

My experience has been that when after booking flights airlines have canceled and/or made changes to my booked flights ahead of my flight date I have been given the choice of accepting the changes, working with the airline to find flights on their schedule that better fit my needs then what they have changed me to(without any additional cost to me) or canceling and recieving a refund without penalty.

Right now, that makes it worth it to me to get those flights into the future booked right now when I can find reasonable prices.

The flip side to booking early, especially now, is locking in a fare. I'd much rather have to deal with schedule changes rather than seeing my fare go up several hundred dollars.
However, we shouldn't encourage people to think that you get the cheapest fares by booking immediately that booking opens. The cheapest fares are not necessarily available on a first come, first served basis. In fact, some airlines only release higher booking class availability at the beginning. And all airlines will periodically have fare sales that are likely to yield a lower fare for the route than those in force when booking opens for a particular flight.

Anyone wanting to buy a ticket must think - not just follow "rules" like "book early for the cheapest fare".

However, we shouldn't encourage people to think that you get the cheapest fares by booking immediately that booking opens. The cheapest fares are not necessarily available on a first come, first served basis. In fact, some airlines only release higher booking class availability at the beginning. And all airlines will periodically have fare sales that are likely to yield a lower fare for the route than those in force when booking opens for a particular flight.

Anyone wanting to buy a ticket must think - not just follow "rules" like "book early for the cheapest fare".

Agree, that booking flights early doesn't necessarily get you the best price- and that there is no specific rule to follow. People need to know what "is" a good price for flights from their airports to their destinations which is difficult if they rarely fly.

For the flights I booked last week for my October cruise I am certain that I will never find less expensive return flights at the times I need. I "might" find outgoing flights up to $20 less expensive fitting my requirements but with fuel cost increasing even that is doubtful now. I can usually catch some good sales closer to flying if my requirements give me enough wiggle room but when I have specific requirements for departing and returning those sales rarely fit my needs so for me booking early when I see good prices is the best deal for me pricewise.

Archived