Poor Whale

girlzillla

We were in cabin 3004, which is three cabins from the bow of the ship, and we never heard or felt anything out of the ordinary in the time period mentioned in the news article. The discovery of the whale and its eventual removal was the hot topic in St. John.

We were in cabin 3004, which is three cabins from the bow of the ship, and we never heard or felt anything out of the ordinary in the time period mentioned in the news article. The discovery of the whale and its eventual removal was the hot topic in St. John.

Are you totally bummed to be back to the day to day routine? Time to book another cruise! hehe I am looking forward to the Jewel in February. Hope you enjoyed it!

Well dolphins swim with the ship -- not cross the ship's path -- don't they?
I've seen them swim just ahead of the bow. Amazing how they can do that and not be hit. Well, obviously they do sometimes, don't they? I would assume a huge whale would not be able to swim as fast and could easily get hit by the ships bow. 4_9_4.gif

Sorry to take this thread a wee bit off topic for a moment but...Sweetressie we also have a forward cabin booked on the Jewel this coming December although on a higher deck. Did you mind being that far forward? Any thoughts? Also, I've read quite a bit about the food on the Jewel being 'just ok'. What did you think?

And then back to the topic...very sad about the whale.

It depends on the type of whale you are talking about. Dolphins and Orcas are related as I remember it.
Interesting. I looked into it further. Whales and Dolphins are in completely different sub-orders of Order Cetacea. However, some of the animals we call whales are actually dolphins, specifically killer whales (of various genus) and the pilot whale.

So in this case, it was a finback whale, which is definitely a whale, not a dolphin.

We have had 2 cruises with Celebrity and 2 Cruises with RCI. IMHO Celebrity's food was always excellent while Royal's food was sometimes very good and other times excellent. Not very much to choose from, except that the variety on Celebrity was better.

Lower deck, close to bow has no advantage at all and many, many downsides. It was a ship area we had not been located on prior. Will not do it again, as it was extremely scary during two nights of very rough, hurricane like weather.

Other people who were in higher deck, forward cabins were not affected nearly as much.

I'm sure you will enjoy the Jewel. It is a beautiful ship and its staff are capable and willing to serve and please.

The article didn't give a specific time period. It said "up to two days"

We have had 2 cruises with Celebrity and 2 Cruises with RCI. IMHO Celebrity's food was always excellent while Royal's food was sometimes very good and other times excellent. Not very much to choose from, except that the variety on Celebrity was better.

Lower deck, close to bow has no advantage at all and many, many downsides. It was a ship area we had not been located on prior. Will not do it again, as it was extremely scary during two nights of very rough, hurricane like weather.

Other people who were in higher deck, forward cabins were not affected nearly as much.

I'm sure you will enjoy the Jewel. It is a beautiful ship and its staff are capable and willing to serve and please.

Thanks, sweetressie. We've got deck 9 and forward was not my first choice but we had to go up there to get 2 balconies and 1 inside across from them. Mind you we were about 6 cabins from the front on the Victory last year and it was fine. Not worried about it - just curious about your impressions. I'm definitely hoping for calmer seas in December than they are right now (!!) although we did sail thru a tropical storm the last time we cruised in Dec so we'll see. We haven't had a bad cruise yet so I know we'll have a great time no matter what. Thanks again and if you get the time please post a review.

Archived