Anything and everything about Victory

Dh and I are planning an Oct 26/2008 Victory Cruise.:D

I've been surfing for anything and everything about the Victory and haven't found a whole lot of info. Do I know what I'm looking for? Nope. :o

Soooo, I'm putting this out to all my fellow and Loyal CC'ers for any info you might be able to share with me about the Victory. Not to forget, Excursions, beaches, tours operators etc.

Our Itinerary is:

Sun Oct 26 Miami, FL 4:00pm Mon Oct 27 At Sea

Tue Oct 28 Grand Turk, Turks & Caicos Islands 7:00am 3:00pm Wed Oct 29 Dominican Republic (La Romana) 10:00am 6:00pm Thu Oct 30 Tortola, British V.I. 9:00am 6:00pm Fri Oct 31 St. Kitts 8:00am 6:00pm Sat Nov 1 St. Maarten, Netherlands Antilles 7:00am 5:00pm Sun Nov 2 San Juan, Puerto Rico 7:00am

Thanks bunches! :)

Michelle

I have been on the Victory once. Unless I woud come across a great deal, I will only be on the Victory once. Of my 14 Carnival cruises this one was my less favority.

Thanks for being honest. If you don't mind my asking, why did you dislike the ship?

Thanks

We've sailed Victory 3 times - fourth booked for this summer. None have been Caribbean, though - all NYC to Canada.

Our favorites on Victory:

The deck outside the lobby. It's a great place to get away from the crowds.

The Ionian Lounge. This is the cigar bar, so it is smoky - but it's one of the most comfortable lounges I've experienced on Carnival. Usually there's a jazz group at night.

The piano bar. It's designed like an Irish pub. Of course, it helps to have a good piano player - one time, they had a guy who played guitar, not piano.:confused:

The Coral Sea Cafe. We like getting a specialty coffee in the mid-morning.

The only ports I've visited on your itinerary are Miami, San Juan and Tortola. You have 8 hours in Tortola, so you could probably do an independent excursion to the Baths if you want. We had a limited port time, so we opted for Carnival's "Virgin Islands Sailaway." It's a catamaran ride to Norman Island with two snorkeling stops, and it was a great time.

Thanks for being honest. If you don't mind my asking, why did you dislike the ship?

Thanks

I wouldn't have told if you hadn't asked;)

The ship was fine! It was just the service. It seemed like they just overwhemed the help. The service in the dinning room was just horrible and the waiters seemed to be busting butt.

The cabin steward was horrible, I mean-horrible. We had a total of three cabins in our group. They too may have been overworked. But, the room, a balcony, was dirty. I was busting a gut laughing as we kept finding garbage in the room, under the beds, in the closets. The people in the cabin across from us, an IS, turned in pool towels. They weren't replaced, they asked for new ones, she tried saying she didn't take the. Finally she said she would bring them. They asked everyday and never received towels the whole cruise. This was before you could trade them in on the Lido deck.

Not matter what was going on it meant lines. Everything was a cattle drive.

Nothing you can't live with. But, it was just a turn off.

The ship was fine! It was just the service. It seemed like they just overwhemed the help. The service in the dinning room was just horrible and the waiters seemed to be busting butt.

The cabin steward was horrible, I mean-horrible. We had a total of three cabins in our group. They too may have been overworked. But, the room, a balcony, was dirty. I was busting a gut laughing as we kept finding garbage in the room, under the beds, in the closets. The people in the cabin across from us, an IS, turned in pool towels. They weren't replaced, they asked for new ones, she tried saying she didn't take the. Finally she said she would bring them. They asked everyday and never received towels the whole cruise. This was before you could trade them in on the Lido deck.

Well, this is like Dejavu for me....We experienced horrible service on our recent triumph cruise. :( Everything that you mention, room steward, dining stewards, room cleanliness, towels etc, pretty much the same what we had on the Triumph. Would I cruise her again, NO! Did we have a great time. of course we did. :-)

Loved our 9a room though...Minus the dirt though. :o

I just came off the Victory (03/02), it was our 3rd cruise (1st on Carnival). I read alot of negative things about the ship before. I have sailed on Holland America & RCCL, so I wasn't really sure what to expect.

First:

The overall ship itself-it has been recently "upgraded" they added a Big Screen (really big screen) TV over the Lido pool. New bedding in the cabins. Some areas of the ship got new carpet etc etc. The ship did not look "worn out" in my opinion. Crew members were regularly cleaning.

Our Cabin - we had 9269 on the forward starboard side of the Lido deck. It had a reasonable size balcony. You aren't going to be sun tanning. But it was nice for a drink or coffee and to watch the view. It was spacious enough. Our cabin steward kept everything nice and clean for us. We had no noise, and I was rather surprised that we didn't experience much movement.

Our dining was the 5:45 in the Pacific Dining room. Now there I was less then impressed. The food was ALWAYS luke warm when we got it. Our Waiter NEVER refilled our tea, and each time we went I had to flag him down for water. On the previous cruises I have had, the Maitrie (sp) D always introduced himself on the first night or second...I never saw our Maitrie D.

The Buffets are not set very well - it is on the Lido deck - the area has a set up for 2 lines, very seldom were both lines open. Generally, the line on the port side of the ship was only open. This caused alot of waiting in line. Once again the food was just luke warm. The items were nothing spectacular. But they would be acceptable.

I'm sure your taste for food will be different, I just like alot of choices :-)

The pool on the Lido was always full on sea days - abandoned on port days. There were plenty of chairs, but plenty of chair hogs too. The pools are saltwater and they "dump" them every evening. So the water was never warm, first thing in the morning, they were very chilly. But warmed up during the day. The hot tubs were chlorinated and always nice :).

The entertainment was cruise class...You weren't getting broadway shows. But the entertainers put there hearts into it.

The drink prices range from 3.50 to 19.95. 3.50 being a standard cocktail, 19.95 being the "drink of the day" which happened to be in a coconut shaped monkey. Yeah - I couldn't resist. But they are cute. :-)

Photos - average price. 9.95 to 21.95. (5x7 or 8x10)

I have tons of pictures - hopefully I will get them up soon.

Overall it was a nice ship - Nothing so bad I wouldn't go on it again.

If there is anything specific you want to know feel free to ask. I'll help as much as I can.

I have been on the Victory once. Unless I woud come across a great deal, I will only be on the Victory once. Of my 14 Carnival cruises this one was my less favority.

I second this sentiment.. except i would not take it even at a bargain...once was more than enough

Thanks so much for the "review". It's always nice to read different "views". This will be our 4th cruise and we've come to expect the unexpected and go with an open mind. Heck, with this itinerary having 5 ports of call, I'm sure we will be kept quite busy during the day. So long as the Lead female singer is NOT the one from the Triumph, surely we will be happy.:D

Would LOVE to see your pics. :)

I just came off the Victory (03/02), it was our 3rd cruise (1st on Carnival). I read alot of negative things about the ship before. I have sailed on Holland America & RCCL, so I wasn't really sure what to expect.

First:

The overall ship itself-it has been recently "upgraded" they added a Big Screen (really big screen) TV over the Lido pool. New bedding in the cabins. Some areas of the ship got new carpet etc etc. The ship did not look "worn out" in my opinion. Crew members were regularly cleaning.

Our Cabin - we had 9269 on the forward starboard side of the Lido deck. It had a reasonable size balcony. You aren't going to be sun tanning. But it was nice for a drink or coffee and to watch the view. It was spacious enough. Our cabin steward kept everything nice and clean for us. We had no noise, and I was rather surprised that we didn't experience much movement.

Our dining was the 5:45 in the Pacific Dining room. Now there I was less then impressed. The food was ALWAYS luke warm when we got it. Our Waiter NEVER refilled our tea, and each time we went I had to flag him down for water. On the previous cruises I have had, the Maitrie (sp) D always introduced himself on the first night or second...I never saw our Maitrie D.

The Buffets are not set very well - it is on the Lido deck - the area has a set up for 2 lines, very seldom were both lines open. Generally, the line on the port side of the ship was only open. This caused alot of waiting in line. Once again the food was just luke warm. The items were nothing spectacular. But they would be acceptable.

I'm sure your taste for food will be different, I just like alot of choices :-)

The pool on the Lido was always full on sea days - abandoned on port days. There were plenty of chairs, but plenty of chair hogs too. The pools are saltwater and they "dump" them every evening. So the water was never warm, first thing in the morning, they were very chilly. But warmed up during the day. The hot tubs were chlorinated and always nice :).

The entertainment was cruise class...You weren't getting broadway shows. But the entertainers put there hearts into it.

The drink prices range from 3.50 to 19.95. 3.50 being a standard cocktail, 19.95 being the "drink of the day" which happened to be in a coconut shaped monkey. Yeah - I couldn't resist. But they are cute. :-)

Photos - average price. 9.95 to 21.95. (5x7 or 8x10)

I have tons of pictures - hopefully I will get them up soon.

Overall it was a nice ship - Nothing so bad I wouldn't go on it again.

If there is anything specific you want to know feel free to ask. I'll help as much as I can.

Wow! I hope things have improved since your cruise. We're looking at Feb 09.

I have to jump in here. I chose Victory for my 1st Carnival cruise and walked away quite impressed. Excellent value for the money. My cabin steward was great, dining room staff pleasant and attentive, and the biggest surprise to me was: the food! It was VERY good.:D I had one of the 2 window 1As on Main deck and this cabin was the bargain of the century, HUGE! This was in December 07 and i have rebooked Victory, same cabin, for April 09 out of San Juan. Check out my review, "Carnival Surprises!" in the member review section.

Go, Enjoy. And it helps to like green and seahorses!;)

I have to jump in here. I chose Victory for my 1st Carnival cruise and walked away quite impressed. Excellent value for the money. My cabin steward was great, dining room staff pleasant and attentive, and the biggest surprise to me was: the food! It was VERY good.:D I had one of the 2 window 1As on Main deck and this cabin was the bargain of the century, HUGE! This was in December 07 and i have rebooked Victory, same cabin, for April 09 out of San Juan. Check out my review, "Carnival Surprises!" in the member review section.

Go, Enjoy. And it helps to like green and seahorses!;)

Where do I find your review?

Dh and I are planning an Oct 26/2008 Victory Cruise.:D

I've been surfing for anything and everything about the Victory and haven't found a whole lot of info. Do I know what I'm looking for? Nope. :o

Soooo, I'm putting this out to all my fellow and Loyal CC'ers for any info you might be able to share with me about the Victory. Not to forget, Excursions, beaches, tours operators etc.

Our Itinerary is:

Sun Oct 26 Miami, FL 4:00pm Mon Oct 27 At Sea

Tue Oct 28 Grand Turk, Turks & Caicos Islands 7:00am 3:00pm Wed Oct 29 Dominican Republic (La Romana) 10:00am 6:00pm Thu Oct 30 Tortola, British V.I. 9:00am 6:00pm Fri Oct 31 St. Kitts 8:00am 6:00pm Sat Nov 1 St. Maarten, Netherlands Antilles 7:00am 5:00pm Sun Nov 2 San Juan, Puerto Rico 7:00am

Thanks bunches! :)

Michelle

Hi Michelle...I'm going on this same cruise... Why don't you join us fellow cruisers for this sail date on Roll Call...http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=637897

We have lots of ideas and you get to know some of your fellow cruise mates

Sea Ya

Hi Michelle...I'm going on this same cruise... Why don't you join us fellow cruisers for this sail date on Roll Call...http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=637897

We have lots of ideas and you get to know some of your fellow cruise mates

Sea Ya

Hi,

I've been to your thread several times "lurking" in the background. Was waiting for the "right" moment to jump in and Holla at ya all! :-)))

Hi,

I've been to your thread several times "lurking" in the background. Was waiting for the "right" moment to jump in and Holla at ya all! :-)))

Well, lurk away and join us when your ready.. I do alot of lurking myself:)

Our roll call runs hot & cold each week. Some cruisers are planning earlier ones, working, or just busy....I check back daily to see what's goin' on..

Enjoy planning your cruise.

Sea Ya

She sailed on Victory, 6 years ago...none of the crew are still on the ship. Hard to really based much on a review that old.

Yep, it's been six years because I won't book her again as stated in my review.:D The one that was asked for;) trock's was six months and it was. A ditto!

I hope the OP has a great cruise and comes back with a great review!

Albagator I have that room on the Triumph. I hold it isn't a repeat of the Victory, I'll be on for three weeks.

We loved victory on our honeymoon and were ok with it last year our room steward was the worst we have had but still pretty good our main objection was when DD spilled apple juice ont he bed and we told him he seemed upset with us for wanting the bed remade other wise was fine. id be anxious to see pics of it now post refurb it deffiently was looking tired in some spots

hopefully the nose looks better since the Victory hit the dock the moring of our cruise:eek: looked funny like it got punched in the face must have been an interesting way to wake some pax up. was funny hearing people on lido cheer when we docked safely lol

Archived