conquest now going to Key West

sixgun8

KW isn't all booze. We have history. President Truman built a complex here you can tour, Ernest Hemingway lived here and you can see his house, KW was the wealthiest and poorest city in the US (both) from wrecking (salvaging sunk ships' cargo and selling it back to insurance companies), we were the only Union outpost in the south during the Civil War, our architecture comes from New England and the Bahamas AND we're all pretty friendly so when you're lost we'll help. That's enough to do for one day.

I couldn't have said it any better, Keywesst!

When I read the OP my first inclination was it was meant to start up a flame war. Whatever, to each his own.

Our cruise stops in KW on 4/24 and we can't wait. We're renting bikes to show the kids the island. Then have an early afternoon meal at one of our favorite haunts followed by shopping on Duval for the kids. Also, we'll catch the start of the sunset celebration.

we were the only Union outpost in the south during the Civil War.

While Key West at Fort Zachary Taylor was a very important outpost for maintaining the US Navy's coastal blockade of Conferate shores, the Union held other important outposts in the South during all or most of the war.

In Florida, Fort Pickens on Santa Rosa Island in Pensacola, FL remained under Union control throughout the Civil War. On March 11, 1862 Union troops occupied St Augustine, FL and retained control of that city until the end of the war.

An even more important city came under Union dominion in April 1862, when the Union captured New Orleans, LA, the largest city of the Confederacy. It remained in Union hands until the war's end.

By no means was I tying to start a flame war. My post read harsh because we had just found out about the change in itinerary and I wasn't happy. Honestly I prefer to cruise to places outside the US. So I am a bit disappointed.

I didn't realize that KW had so much in Common with KC. Truman was from that area. I beleive EH lived in KC for a bit as well?? So, there may be some points of interest.

we had just found out about the change in itinerary and I wasn't happy.

Hey sixgun, come on, where's that care free attitude displayed in your signature? ;)

No seriously, Key West is a good stop. And I'm not just saying that because I'm a local. Maybe think about a jet-ski tour, or reef snorkling tour. Heck, even the Conch Train can be entertaining.

I stand corrected re:Union outpost.

There are also literally hundreds of restaurants to choose from to sample our fresh local seafood or Key Lime pie.

I'm sorry you're disappointed in this stop but we don't consider ourselves part of the United States, we are the Conch Republic. We have our own Air Force (Freddy Cabanas' biplane) with its own intricate weapons system (stale cuban bread) as well as a rather large Navy Dept led by Captain Finbar and the schooner Western Union. Our passports have been recognized and stamped in over 100 countries worldwide.

You will be welcomed and our bounties are to share, so please enjoy yourself and take Key West just as it is.

Hey sixgun, come on, where's that care free attitude displayed in your signature? ;)

No seriously, Key West is a good stop. And I'm not just saying that because I'm a local. Maybe think about a jet-ski tour, or reef snorkling tour. Heck, even the Conch Train can be entertaining.

I put the care free attitude in as a result. To keep reminding myself.:D

I stand corrected re:Union outpost.

There are also literally hundreds of restaurants to choose from to sample our fresh local seafood or Key Lime pie.

I'm sorry you're disappointed in this stop but we don't consider ourselves part of the United States, we are the Conch Republic. We have our own Air Force (Freddy Cabanas' biplane) with its own intricate weapons system (stale cuban bread) as well as a rather large Navy Dept led by Captain Finbar and the schooner Western Union. Our passports have been recognized and stamped in over 100 countries worldwide.

You will be welcomed and our bounties are to share, so please enjoy yourself and take Key West just as it is.

Well, as long as the stars and stripes still fly prominently then you ARE part of the US. Sorry, I kinda take that seriously. A lot of people gave up their life for that statement. But I am a Mason and that does hit our hearts pretty true.

But yes, We are staying on the cruise and we will be in Key West. We will absolutely make the best of it. Someone mentioned a jet ski tour which may be a very nice alternative. So, we will see you all in Key West in 09 of 09!

I'm a lowly 3rd degree FreeMason, so welcome again.

Well there is nothing lowly about that at all my brother. Good to meet you. If my memory serves me correctly we will be in KEy West on a tuesday. While I am sure we'd leave much before any lodge would officially open I'd love to at least stop in at one.

We are very excited about the itinerary change up for the Conquest going out of Galveston! Key West and the 2 ports in the Bahamas all during our kid's spring break!!!

We are booked and looking forward to Key West and all points southeast.

Yes...we were thinking the same thing. Central America/Mexico was a little primitive in their emergency care on our last cruise.

were you on the recent conquest cruise that skipped Jamaica??? If so what of the goings on did you witness???

I did a post-cruise visit to Key West after my 1st cruise and found more to do than we had time for. We did the Conch Train tour and explored Mallory Square and did our ritutal visit to the local Hard Rock Cafe. We stayed on the pier for sunset which seemed like an odd thing at first, but there were tons people waiting for it and it was quite a moment. Very beautiful. And you have to have your pic taken in front of the most southern point in the US buoy. Cannot wait to go back and have more of the local key lime pie. :)

Archived