Should I cruise with just my 2 year old daughter?

gtalum

Due to our differing work schedules (and a trip she's taking that i can't) I'll have two vacation days to use this year without my wife. I had an idea to take our then 2 year old daughter on a 3-day cruise on Carnival Imagination or Carnival Sensation in October or November, which I think might be fun for us and I KNOW mommy would appreciate the break. Am I crazy for even considering such an ordeal or would it be a lot of fun?

Awww what a good daddy you are! :D

I've done a 4 day CCL cruise with just 2 kids, no daddy (he couldn't get of work). The kids were 2 and 7 at the time.

How is your 2 year old without mommy? My kids kind of come unglued without me, but are fine without daddy. :( So would the 2 year old be willing to leave mommy?

Go have fun. It will be great. I am a single parent and started cruising with my son at age 3- on my own. He and I have traveled solo on about 9 cruises now (6 others with family).

Its three days- it will be no problem. Have fun. You will find that it is nice to have individual time with your kids. I have two and as much fun as the family vacations are- I have really enjoyed the one-on-one vacations with my kids.

I think it could be a lot of fun as long as you are up to all the attention your daughter will need.

Awww what a good daddy you are! :D

I've done a 4 day CCL cruise with just 2 kids, no daddy (he couldn't get of work). The kids were 2 and 7 at the time.

How is your 2 year old without mommy? My kids kind of come unglued without me, but are fine without daddy. :( So would the 2 year old be willing to leave mommy?

Since we both work full time jobs (and each have different evening/weekend schedules for work and activities), she spends about the same amount of time with each of us. Taking care of her is no problem for me and she does just fine without her mother around, though when mom is around she is clearly the favorite (:D).

I think I might do this. :)

I'm going to chime in with another "go for it!!" I took my kids (then 2 and 6) solo on a 5 day, similar situation, DH was traveling a lot for business and we wanted a break.

To be honest, I would much rather cruise as a single parent than take a land-based trip solo. It's great to get little breaks while they are in camp. Meals are pretty much effortless. All around, it's just a lot of fun for the child and the parent.

So, have fun!:D

Due to our differing work schedules (and a trip she's taking that i can't) I'll have two vacation days to use this year without my wife. I had an idea to take our then 2 year old daughter on a 3-day cruise on Carnival Imagination or Carnival Sensation in October or November, which I think might be fun for us and I KNOW mommy would appreciate the break. Am I crazy for even considering such an ordeal or would it be a lot of fun?

Your not crazy, but don't forget that you will need written permission from you wife to take your child out of the country whether she has a passport or not.

Check with the cruise line. You do not always need written permission. I have cruised with my son as a single parent now 12 times. I have only been asked to provide a letter three times- once on Disney (Bahamas), once on Norwegian (Western Caribbean) and once on Princess (to Canada/Alaska).

Royal Caribbean, Celebrity, Carnival and Cunard have never asked for this documentation and it has not been a problem. Normally the cruise line or the travel agent will send you a letter and a form if they require documentation.

Interestingly, I have flown to Europe with my little son (he's 7 now) 3 times and no one has ever asked for anything other than a passport- and we have different last names.

So I really don't understand why I can travel freely internationally but have to produce evidence of custody and a letter from my ex-husband to go on some cruises. Its crazy but I have it at the ready- just in case.

Your not crazy, but don't forget that you will need written permission from you wife to take your child out of the country whether she has a passport or not.

She does have a passport, and I knew about the letter requirement. Thanks for the heads-up, though! :)

Archived