Fuel Surcharge Refund (merged)

I've seen several people mention getting a refund of the fuel tax. Are you only eligible if you book a future cruise?

You are eligible if you reserved a cruise prior to the fuel surcharge being annouced (somewhere around Mid November of 2007).

You are eligible if you reserved a cruise prior to the fuel surcharge being annouced (somewhere around Mid November of 2007).

I received mine as an onboard credit....but that was only because I had reserved and deposited before Nov 07.

I booked three cabins in April 2007 for a cruise in May 2008. I booked one cabin at the beginning of April and the other two at the end of April. Now, when I go on RCI's website to view my bookings, I see a $70 credit for the first cabin I booked and nothing for the other two.

I wouldn't be worried except for the fact that I made a minor change to the two later reservations a couple weeks ago and customer service totally screwed up both reservations. I got everything fixed, but I hope the fuel refunds didn't get deleted in the whole fiasco :( .

Just got off the phone with RCI. We bought a NextCruise in August 07; we used this on March 2nd for our cruise on the NOS sailing this week. A fuel surcharge was applied. So I called and asked if that was right given that we had a NextCruise dated August 07. The agent said it was correct because we had not identified/booked the actual cruise prior to the November date.

So that's my story and I'm sticking to it. No harm in checking.

Kathy:)

I booked three cabins in April 2007 for a cruise in May 2008. I booked one cabin at the beginning of April and the other two at the end of April. Now, when I go on RCI's website to view my bookings, I see a $70 credit for the first cabin I booked and nothing for the other two.

I wouldn't be worried except for the fact that I made a minor change to the two later reservations a couple weeks ago and customer service totally screwed up both reservations. I got everything fixed, but I hope the fuel refunds didn't get deleted in the whole fiasco :( .

As long as you still have the orginial booking number on those two you should be fine.

Here is the quote from fuel charge maybe.

Triplevan... you will probably see your refund in the form of an on-board credit, if you have not yet sailed when the ruling was made, which was March 6, 08. Hope this helps.

I got my refund credited to my credit card yesterday for a cruise I booked last June and paid the Fuel Surcharge on and cruised on Feb 11, 2008.

The FS is only given back to passengers who booked prior to Nov. 16th and paid it! Anything booked after Nov. 16th 2008, it is not refundable!

The FS after Nov. 16th was listed when you made the Booking! The FS was NOT listed when bookings were made prior to NOV. 16th. There is a difference!

Just got off the phone with RCI. We bought a NextCruise in August 07; we used this on March 2nd for our cruise on the NOS sailing this week. A fuel surcharge was applied. So I called and asked if that was right given that we had a NextCruise dated August 07. The agent said it was correct because we had not identified/booked the actual cruise prior to the November date.

So that's my story and I'm sticking to it. No harm in checking.

Kathy:)

Thanks for checking Kathy. :) That is the way it is supposed to work because we hadn't deposited on an actual, real cruise before Nov. 16th. It sounds like some people are getting it back though. Oh well, things could always change again. Thanks. :D

I put our deposit down on Nov. 26th so we are off by ten days is there anyway to try to get our fuel surcharge back? There would be four of us on a nine day cruise, ouch! :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

I'm not sure if this is a serious post Yes KelJthis is a serious post and if you looked on a similar board about the surcharges people who have beeked and not yet sailed ARE getting OBC

Booked over the phone so only had a confirmation number for several days until one paperwork in the mail. Was not told over phone about the FS. :( That is the diffrence.

Since you booked after November 16th, you are NOT entitled to a fuel surcharge refund. Even if you weren't quoted a specific fuel surcharge amount, it would have been included in the cruise price that you were quoted when you booked. You will not be getting a refund.

Did all or any of you book with a TA or did you book with RCI? We haven't gotten ours yet and we went March 1. I wonder how they are crediting the passengers - by month? -- Or those who booked directly with RCI first - then TA's? I know we'll be getting our credit, but just was curious about their system.

We booked thru a discount travel agent on 9/9/07. We were then told later about the fuel surcharge. I will assume it will either be taken off or given to us as an onboard credit when we get on the ship in September 08/

I didn't pay to much attention to the threads on the rebate, but I looked into it last night. The cruiseline said "any reservation made before Nov. 16, 2007 would get a rebate". I made my reservation on the 16th of Nov. Does that mean they keep my fuel surcharge? I am confused.

Archived