how does pop card work on HAL?

sandycruzr

Hi! Just booked on the Westerdam and never sailed on HAL. I have 2 sons that are very interested in the pop card. On previous cruises, on other lines, we purchased a card and we were then given a cup to use for unlimited refills for the duration of the cruise. Is this how HAL works the "pop card" and what is the cost? Thanks for your help:)

Hi! Just booked on the Westerdam and never sailed on HAL. I have 2 sons that are very interested in the pop card. On previous cruises, on other lines, we purchased a card and we were then given a cup to use for unlimited refills for the duration of the cruise. Is this how HAL works the "pop card" and what is the cost? Thanks for your help:)

I think that it's $28 or $30 for 20 sodas. They give you a card that has 20 little circles around the card, then when you order a soda, either at dinner in the dining room or at a bar, they punch a hole in it. That's how they did it on the Noordam last year. Hope this helps. You can usually buy the cards on your way to the boat or around the boat on the first couple of days, you can also preorder this on the Holland America website, they have the cards delivered to your room. They also have a similiar thing for wines and mixed drinks. Happy cruising.

I don't know about a 'cup' but there are discussions on here about the coke or pop card.

Apparently they fill it up with ice and then a little coke... and sometimes it's been openned a little while, so the general opinion is your better off just buying them as you go, for better quality and more drink.

Save your money! This subject has been posted before but here's the insight again (and welcome to the board). Some folks where purchasing the unlimited soda cards and then passing them around. The present cards are $20 for 20 soda card punches. These "so called sodas" consist of a glass of ice and enough soda to change the color. I've seen the same can used three times for three people and you don't get the can!

I recommend that you bring your own 12 packs on-board. We purchased sodas (on sale) for 4/12 packs for $10. We used a small roller suit case for our soda and wine and then used it again for the "trinkets" we purchased upon disembarking. The soda cards aren't worth it! Save your money!

It's $20.70 including the 15% sevice charge for 20 "glasses" - roughly 10 cans - so you're saving about $0.23 per can. If the two boys always drink the same kind of soda it could work out for you, as they would never be getting the left-over, flat half-can from the last customer! :( But if at the end of the week you have left even one punch unused you've lost what little savings there was. And there's always the chance that you/they could lose the card. The only advantage that I would see is that you wouldn't have to be around to sign the charge slip for them each time. Or maybe that's another disadvantage! :)

What is a "Pop Card?" Is this some kind of new video game card, or some sort of digital camera card I've not heard about? What do you fill the card up with? ;)

We are booked in a cat. VB, Deluxe Verendah Oceanview..on Westerdam... I wasn't sure if we'd have a ice box or something to put them in, but was considering bringing some tea. Public makes this really good Raspberry tea in the delli..I love it!
You will have a stocked mini-bar that can be emptied by the steward if there isn't enough room for your stuff. It only keeps things chilled to about 25 degrees below room temperature, though, so it's not an ice maker or keeper.

I don't know about a 'cup' but there are discussions on here about the coke or pop card.

Apparently they fill it up with ice and then a little coke... and sometimes it's been openned a little while, so the general opinion is your better off just buying them as you go, for better quality and more drink.

Oh ... ok ... Soda pop! They'll generally call it a "Soda Card" aboard ship. Nomenclature can be difficult at times.

Sandycruzr,

I don't recommend buying the card. Most of the time you never get your value out of it. The quality of the soda is better when bought individually. It costs roughly $2.00 with tip for 1 can of soda. (you get an actual can)

The cards get you refills from an opened 2-liter bottle.

What is a "Pop Card?" Is this some kind of new video game card, or some sort of digital camera card I've not heard about? What do you fill the card up with? ;)

box.jpg

Evidently something to do with magic tricks... ;)

Sure, if you've approved them to do so.

on one cruise... dad or mom one heard a man yelling at his wife...seems the their kids ran up a high bill...

I was thinking... 'why didn't you have them put a limit on what the kids could spend each day or for the whole week...' it was soo his fault for not paying closer attention...

you can get statements at any time of your bill so far.

Can't kids sign their own charge slips?
Yes, if, as Dave said, you list them on the authorization ... but as Aeryn pointed out they can then charge anything they want. OP: how old are these boys?

Yes, if, as Dave said, you list them on the authorization ... but as Aeryn pointed out they can then charge anything they want.

I'd love to be able to give my daughter a set limit on her card and then let her get whatever she wants up to some particular amount. People are suggesting that may be possible. I will ask onboard, I guess. Wouldn't want her accidentally buying a diamond tiara :).

I'm guessing there are some people who would like to put a limit on their spouse's account! :D

Regarding the soda card, I agree that they are no longer worth it. Back when we got a full can with a glass of ice it was a cost saver. Not any more.

If you come to MICHIGAN and ask for a soda you won't be getting a COKE etc. thats for sure.

LOL ... that's why you ask for a Coke, or a Pepsi, or a DrPepper, or some such, and no the generic term relative to the region.

The HAL nomenclature for it is: "Soda Fountain Card." That is what is printed on the Card and that is how it is referenced in the Order form you'll find on line HERE. The Filipino Staff might or might NOT (probably not) understand you if you say "Pop card" ... they'll ask "Do you have your Soda Card?"

For any who are interested, the terms and conditions of use are printed on the back of the Card ... I have one, and I'll scan it in and post it here later today.

It's $20.70 including the 15% sevice charge for 20 "glasses" - roughly 10 cans - so you're saving about $0.23 per can. If the two boys always drink the same kind of soda it could work out for you, as they would never be getting the left-over, flat half-can from the last customer! :( But if at the end of the week you have left even one punch unused you've lost what little savings there was. And there's always the chance that you/they could lose the card. The only advantage that I would see is that you wouldn't have to be around to sign the charge slip for them each time. Or maybe that's another disadvantage! :)

It worked well for us on the Westerdam 10 night last year. For the $20.70 punch card, DH and I had one soda each night at dinner. They had the entire can waiting and poured when we arrived. So, it was a savings if one can was $2.00.

It sounds like on Noordam (we will be on her this summer), or HAL in general, they are cutting this amount of cola in half? Then where is the savings. This would be a good letter to HAL....

Pop = Soda

I don't know where the OPs from but here in Canada, we callit Pop instaed of soda. :D

Pop = Soda

I don't know where the OPs from but here in Canada, we callit Pop instaed of soda. :D

I know ... see the winky emoticon in my post? I was being a little snarky. :D

Still ... it's not the terminology that HAL uses, and the idea is to communicate effectively, not champion a particular form of terminology.

Where I live we call it "Soft Drink" or "Soda" or "coke" ... "coke" being used in a generic sense, this being Coca-Cola Headquarters country. :) "Soda-pop" is not unknown here, but just "Pop" is never used here.

Again, this isn't about regional usage ... it's about what HAL calls it. Say "give me a pop" to a Filipinio bar steward and he's likely to either not understand you or to think you want him to hit you over the head. :D

Archived