how does pop card work on HAL?

sandycruzr

Here's the front and the back of a HAL Soda Card. Notice, this one isn't fully used up.

Front:

sodacard02.jpg

Back:

sodacard01.jpg

Note the terms and conditions printed on the back, and in particular what it cannot be used for. These limitations really limit its usefulness for me. I've bought several of these cards, and this isn't the first time I didn't use all of one.

... "coke" being used in a generic sense ...
Which is a violation of trademark, unless it's with a capital C and you're speaking of Coca-Cola. But you knew that! ;)

When I was in the graphics industry years ago we had full-page ads in the trade pubs from lots of companies reminding us to not use their trademark unless we were speaking specifically of them (and spelling the name properly.)

Examples:

Rollerblades (Inline skates. That company was especially sensitive to misuse.)

Kleenex (Facial tissues.)

Xerox (Copy machine or photo copier.)

And for us old folks ... Frigidare (Refrigerator.)

Which is a violation of trademark, unless it's with a capital C and you're speaking of Coca-Cola. But you knew that! ;)

When I was in the graphics industry years ago we had full-page ads in the trade pubs from lots of companies reminding us to not use their trademark unless we were speaking specifically of them (and spelling the name properly.)

Examples:

Rollerblades (Inline skates. That company was especially sensitive to misuse.)

Kleenex (Facial tissues.)

Xerox (Copy machine or photo copier.)

And for us old folks ... Frigidare (Refrigerator.)

And then there's "Hoover." All of these uses, and many more, are non-marketing VERBAL slang. I wasn't talking about the published advertising or marketing use of the term; the context was regional vernacular, and despite any Trademark laws people DO use such terms, often regionally, for a more generic item. So long as it's not published (recorded for broadcast, etc) it's impossible for a company to control what is said, verbally. That's how some people will use the term "coke." It's so popular in this region that it is sometimes used interchangeably with "Soda" or "Soft Drink." The following conversation is not unheard of in this part of the country:

"Get me a coke."

"Sure thing ... what kind?"

"A Dr. Pepper."

"Coming right up."

Is it right? Nope. Would it be a violation of Trademark and/or copyright? You bet ... if it were used in published advertising or marketing in that manner. But it's not, nor was that how I was using it. It's vernacular SLANG.

I've bought several of these cards, and this isn't the first time I didn't use all of one.

Might I request that you gather them up and place them in your carry-on right now. I think I can make it worth your while on your next cruise. ;)

Might I request that you gather them up and place them in your carry-on right now. I think I can make it worth your while on your next cruise. ;)

LOL ... never fear. I forgot it for the Rotterdam, but I'll have it with me for the Eurodam. IF they're using the same card, still, on the Eurodam that they've used the last 4 cruises on other ships throughout the fleet, it'll still be good (even if the terms on the back say that it's only good for the duration of the cruise). :) There's no indicator on the card WHICH cruise.

Archived