Connecting flights San Juan-JFK-London do I have enough time?

silverfern

I have a 1 hour 10 min stopover between a flight from SJ to JFK and then from JFK to London Stansted on American Airlines. I have just heard that you have to re-check your bags in at JFK and am worried that I don't have enough transfer time between flights to catch my connecting flight.

I have a four hour stopover going to San Juan from London which should be enough time, but am worried about coming back. I think they both leave from the same terminal but am mainly worried about the length of time it will take to go through immigration. Does anyone have any information about this?

I booked all of my flights through AA on their website and am suprised that they let me book a flight with such a short stopover if there wasn't enough time to catch the next flight. Any information you have about this would be greatly appreciated.

You won't have to retrieve your bags at JFK and recheck them when flying from San Juan to London via JFK. You only have to retrieve your bags and recheck them when arriving on an International flight (SJU to JFK is a domestic flight).

Don't know about the connection time though.

You won't have to retrieve your bags at JFK and recheck them when flying from San Juan to London via JFK. You only have to retrieve your bags and recheck them when arriving on an International flight (SJU to JFK is a domestic flight).

Don't know about the connection time though.

I would guess that one scenario for having to claim one's bags at JFK would be if the SJU/JFK and JFK/LON flights were bought separately and as two distinct tickets. In that case, if I understand correctly how the airlines operate, the carrier would not thru-check the bags.

I would guess that one scenario for having to claim one's bags at JFK would be if the SJU/JFK and JFK/LON flights were bought separately and as two distinct tickets. In that case, if I understand correctly how the airlines operate, the carrier would not thru-check the bags.
Not necesssarily. Many (most?) airlines will still through-check bags on an online connection even if they are on two separate tickets.

But in any case, the way that I read the OP, the connection was offered by the AA website to the OP's surprise, which means that it's very likely to be an online (ie AA-AA) connection, and booked in one go with one ticket.

Archived