please help clarify

familyplus2

My husband and I are taking our 3 children (well, my children) on a cruise in May. Someone suggested someone here could help put my mind at rest.

My youngest son is 15 - I am hearing conflicting things about boarding with a minor with only one parent present. Here is the deal

1. We do have a passport.

2. We are not able to get a notarized letter from his biological father (we have had absolutely no contact with him in 13 years - not really even sure where he is other than the state of TN)

3. Father is listed on the birth certificate.

Am I going to be turned away at the pier?

Do you have a custody paper that shows you have full rights? If so bring that. Anything you have that states you have a custody agreement will work if asked. If you don't have anything like that, you might think about filing for termination of parental rights. I had a case for abandonment and won the term. case and my DH adopted our DD three years ago. You might need this issue cleaned up later in life anyway. It is a lengthy process sometimes, but well worth it. Also, it is very easy to get a temp. full custody during the process which would also work. In my case I was always worried that if something happened to me, my DH would not have any rights to a child he had raised and yet my ex who has a prob with drugs and alcohol and usually job light would. So for me it was worth it. Took us about 6 mos. and under 1k to do it. Yours should be easier since he's not ever around. Always easier when they don't actually show up for the court date. lol

We weren't allowed to board an American Airlines flight to Mexico without the notarized letter. 6 hours later, when she came to the airport to do this, they never asked for it in Mexico.

Custody papers with parental rights would be sufficient if you have it.

If your port is in the US, then I think highly unlikely that you will have a problem.

Good luck and enjoy your vacation!

The 15 year old has a passport? Then you *should* be fine. I am sure you had to explain the father on the bc when you applied for a passport right?

Being able to obtain a passport has nothing to do with having permission from the other parent to take a child out-of-the country. They are two entirely separate issues.

I would advise you not to do, as you stated in another post, forge a consent form. That is illegal. That said, as long as you aren't going to Mexico, you will probably have no problem.

Do you have a custody paper that shows you have full rights?

In other posts, the OP states she is receiving child support from dad, and also that he has joint custody. I have much personal experience with this issue also, and know if dad is paying child support, dad and his address can easily be found.

Archived