Anyone travelled on LAN airlines?

auntdot

We are beginning to look into booking our flights for South America (Feb 2009) and it seems that LAN airlines is offering the best price for the itinerary we think will suit us best through Miami. It is a few dollars less expensive than American (and yet the flights seem to be AA flights).

Any opinions? suggestions re booking with LAN?

Thanks,

Dot

(I will also post this on the SA board)

It is a few dollars less expensive than American (and yet the flights seem to be AA flights).
Do you mean that the flights are operated by American Airlines, but sold by LAN with a LAN flight number? Or is it the other way around? That's something that you'd want to find out before you buy the ticket, so you can properly assess whether you're getting good value or not.

That said, both AA and LAN are members of the oneworld alliance, so it's no surprise to find that they codeshare on some flights. If you can get the same flights cheaper through one airline than the other, and the conditions of the cheaper ticket are still acceptable to you, there are few reasons for not going with that option.

Globaliser,

On the LAN website, the first leg, YYZ to MIA is listed as AA, the long haul MIA to EZE is LAN Argentina - and on the return they are both listed as '(operated by AA)'. We don't have any points to use so it's Economy S outbound and Economy L return (have no idea what these codes mean)

You are always such a great source of information. Thank you!

Dot

On the LAN website, the first leg, YYZ to MIA is listed as AA, the long haul MIA to EZE is LAN Argentina - and on the return they are both listed as '(operated by AA)'.
I had a look at the timetable, and it looks like there are two AA flights and one LAN Argentina (airline code 4M) flight each day - although I have done this by picking random days so can't say for sure that this is the same every day of the week or the same from season to season.

If you can get the same fare on the 4M flight as on the AA flight, then it's obviously better value to go on the 4M flight. But make sure you can get the connections to work in the same way. You might also want to check the connection/transfer arrangements in Miami for the two different types of connection (AA->AA and 4M->AA), particularly on the way back, to make sure that you're not storing up hassle for yourself there.

Many thanks, Globaliser!

We have approximately 3.5 hrs on the way out (the outbound MIA to EZE is a 4M flight) and over 4 hours on the return from SCL (both are listed as AA) We have never been to any of these airports (except YYZ) so we thought that would give us ample time to find our way and go through whatever 'procedures' we need. I am assuming we will have to collect our luggage at MIA and then take it to LAN for the outgoing trip but maybe not on the inbound as they are both AA.

Now it's just a matter of when we want to put out the $$ for the flights!

Appreciate all your help,

Dot

I am assuming we will have to collect our luggage at MIA and then take it to LAN for the outgoing trip but maybe not on the inbound as they are both AA.
I don't know for sure about the outbound trip, but as AA and 4M are both in oneworld, there is a good chance that AA will through-check the bags all the way to EZE for you, so that you don't have to claim them at MIA and then re-check them. But you will need to ask. And either way, you will have to pre-clear US immigration and customs at YYZ before you board, because of the almost-inexplicable US rule that everyone must clear immigration and customs even though they're just going to get onto another international flight away from the US. (Pre-clearance at YYZ is what makes it nevertheless technically possible to do a baggage transfer at MIA in this direction.)

On the way back, you will have to claim your bags at MIA, because of the same rule. AA may well through-tag your bags at EZE, but it doesn't absolve you from the need to claim them - you should, however, be able to hand them back to the airline immediately after customs.

My pleasure! Hope it works well.

Are you sure that you can't get on to a 4M flight for the EZE-MIA sector?

Would you like to become our travel agent for this trip???

:D

I hadn't really thought about looking for a 4M flight - was just looking for flights that didn't involve a very long layover ... I will check again. This would mean that bags are checked through? Or is US strict about that?

(Just checked and flights are AA719, 4M4521 and LA500, LA5561 - no option for 4M on the return.)

I also notice on the AA website that the 13:40 PM flight leaving Toronto has disappeared - but is still available on LAN?? (and it's an AA flight?) We were hoping to wait a few weeks to purchase but maybe we better not if we want to get the flight with only 3.5 hrs in Miami! Yikes!

Thanks,

Dot

We are beginning to look into booking our flights for South America (Feb 2009) and it seems that LAN airlines is offering the best price for the itinerary we think will suit us best through Miami. It is a few dollars less expensive than American (and yet the flights seem to be AA flights).

Any opinions? suggestions re booking with LAN?

Thanks,

Dot

(I will also post this on the SA board)

We had several flights within Peru with LAN last year and had no problem.

Archived