Can't decide about packing workout sneakers!

btobey

Hi all--In light of the new airline fees, I'm trying to think about how to limit my packing as much as possible for our cruise next month. Being a woman, I find that SHOES are a very hard thing!!! I am definitely bringing my "cute" sneakers--these are lightweight, Keds-type sneakers that I will probably wear frequently in port. What I can't decide about are my workout sneakers. At home, I exercise daily, and although I don't plan to go to the gym regularly on the cruise (I'm on vacation!), I would at least like to walk on deck daily. I can't decide if my lightweight sneakers will suffice, but it's hard to see adding my other sneakers to my dressy shoes, my swim shoes, and several pairs of sandals! What do you all think?

Well, I don't call mine workout "sneakers" :D, but my running shoes ALWAYS go with me on trips. However, I always plan to workout/run, so for me, they are a must-have. How far do you think you will walk? Try walking a mile or so a couple of afternoons in your "sneaks" and see if your feet are still happy. If so, then I would just go with them.

I would like to shoot for a mile a day on the Promenade, but I'm not sure if I'll stick to that! I have a history of NOT exercising on vacation (even I'm very diligent normally, really! :D ), which is why I guess I'm leaning towards not bringing the workout shoes.

I would like to shoot for a mile a day on the Promenade, but I'm not sure if I'll stick to that! I have a history of NOT exercising on vacation (even I'm very diligent normally, really! :D ), which is why I guess I'm leaning towards not bringing the workout shoes.

Why don't you just wear your work out shoes on the plane?

Jan

If you have any foot, ankle, knee or hip issues, take the running shoes. Having been injured a couple of times because of unsupportive shoes, I'd rather give up something else to make space in the luggage.

But if you're thinking you're going to just "stroll" on the deck, then the lightweight ones may suffice.

I always bring my workout shoes. The idea about wearing them on the plane is good. However, nowadays you have to take your shoes off and if you have your hands full with other carry ons and a long line of people behind you it can be a hassle. Best to wear shoes that easily slip off and on when you fly.

I always bring my workout shoes. The idea about wearing them on the plane is good. However, nowadays you have to take your shoes off and if you have your hands full with other carry ons and a long line of people behind you it can be a hassle. Best to wear shoes that easily slip off and on when you fly.

Yeah, that's exactly my reluctance to do this.

Well, I don't call mine workout "sneakers" :D, but my running shoes ALWAYS go with me on trips. However, I always plan to workout/run, so for me, they are a must-have. How far do you think you will walk? Try walking a mile or so a couple of afternoons in your "sneaks" and see if your feet are still happy. If so, then I would just go with them.

I always pack my running shoes as well as I don't take a vacation from my daily workout routine when on vacation. If a casual walk on deck is your plan, then a less supportive shoe may work. Personally, I pack my workout stuff first and the rest follows.:)

Why don't you just wear your work out shoes on the plane?

Jan

That is what I do whenever we fly with the exception of our last flights (I brought an extra pair of socks instead). I had a broken toe and could not stand to have a sneaker on. I wear them for two reasons. The first is that my feet FREEZE on the airplanes if I'm in sandals. The second is that if we cut a connection close and have to really hustle to get to the next gate it's much easier in sneakers. It also keeps the weight down in the suitcase :) so I guess that's really 3 reasons. I meant to add that the new airline luggage policies aren't going to change what I bring with me. Instead of packing all the clothes into a suitcase and only having minimal carry ons I plan on throwing more of my clothing into a carry on and rearranging my stuff accordingly :)

I've actually seen those sneakers and thought about buying them! But with all the money we'll likely be spending ON the cruise, I really can't justify the extra expense.

I just wear mine on boarding day--saves room in the suitcase, and they're good for walking and standing around in. But we drive to the port, so I don't have to worry about the hassle of removing them for airport security.

Archived