cruise/air package on May 3rd Connie

tillys mom

Yesterday I got my package showing my air that was arranged by Celebrity. It had me leaving Atlanta at 3:54 and arriving in Chicago

(Ohare)at 5:10 PM then leaving at 5:59 PM and arriving in London at 8:15 AM. After reading the very helpful boards I was expecting to be sent all around the country and had chalked it up as a lesson learned. However, I could not believe I was being given 49 min to make an international flight. And the results of missing the flight conjured nightmare images of chasing the Constellation across the Baltic. This morning I called United and they agreed that it could be a real problem but they couldn't help me. When I called cruises-n-more they said Celebrity would not have booked this flight for me if they thought it would be a problem and it was a legal connection and they couldn't help me either. The agent agreed to call Celebrity on a conference call so they could explain my options to me. It seems that if I was willing to pay I could get a direct flight. By pay they meant the difference in the fares, a 35 dollar fee and a 75 dollar fee totaling $454 for my husband and me. When I complained about the $75 fee I was told that after I had cruised once with Celebrity, it would be waved. I assured the lady that I'd never be back to try it out. She decided that she could wave the $35 fee which saved me $70.

Was I unreasonable to expect Celebrity to book us on flights with a better chance of our persons and our luggage making it to England in time to sail? I am posting this so the others who booked the same package can check out their connections. It cost me but at least I can sleep at night without worrying about missing the ship.

This is our 4th cruise and the first time I have ever booked a package. It has been nothing but headaches. We are in a terrible cabin(by the stairs, across from the elevator, with our back to a service area) and can't get it changed. I hope anyone thinking about a package weigh the savings against the drawbacks.

Almost never book the air with the cruise line. You can usually do it cheaper and get the flights u want by booking it yourself! On the other hand if they somehow have a fantastic price (which I have never seen) then book with them:D .

Unfortunately I didn't discover cruisecritic until after I had booked this trip. It was a great price- the cruise was the same with the savings in the air fare. Of course I have now discovered why. Has anyone else had that short a connection in a major airport? I've never flown international from Ohare. Is it in the same terminal? Maybe if the United planes are all in one area then the only worry would be the Atlanta plane being late.

I am really glad to be off United anyway since they now charge for the second bag. I checked and can have two bags now- I'm on a Delta plane but it's Air France.

Last year, we went to the Med for our honeymoon and since we had to fly in one port and out another, booking airfare on our own was just way too much, so we opted for the Celebrity air package. We got our documents and they had given us 50 mins in Paris to make our flight to Venice. I have been to that airport before and new this was not possible especially going through customs. I called and complained to 3 different people and everyone told me "no problem". Well, it was. We missed our flight by 25 minutes and that was flat out running through the airport. The next flight to Venice was booked, so we had to wait 6 hours in the airport. Since then, we always book our own as long as we can do a roundtrip from the same city.

You are on our same cruise May 3rd. We are leaving Atlanta on May 1st with a direct flight to Gatwick on BA and we caught a sale for $770. See you aboard!

Many international flights leave from the domestic termnals at O'Hare. If you were flying into Chicago from Atlanta on United there was a very good chance that your flight would be at the next gate or at a close by gate. The last time I flew to London I flew American and I left from the domestic terminals The same for when I went to Rome. Coming back you do go to the International Terminal because of customs. That being said I did do Celebrity Custom Air for my inbound and outbound flights for the 5/31 sailing of the cruise you are on. I just didn't want to worry about changing planes etc. It cost a grand total of $69.

Thanks for the comments. I am definately "living and learning" about traveling but all -in -all we have had a wonderful time. I feel much better about the flight and it wouldn't have cost so much if Celebrity hadn't charged the $75 apiece to make the change. Do you think I could talk them into waiving the fee?

Thanks for the comments. I am definately "living and learning" about traveling but all -in -all we have had a wonderful time. I feel much better about the flight and it wouldn't have cost so much if Celebrity hadn't charged the $75 apiece to make the change. Do you think I could talk them into waiving the fee?

The $75.00 fee is the "airline change fee". Imposed by the airlines, NOT the cruise line. You actually got a bargain-most airline change fees are $100.00 OR MORE.

I am really glad to be off United anyway since they now charge for the second bag. I checked and can have two bags now- I'm on a Delta plane but it's Air France.

Charge for a second bag is ONLY on domestic flights. If your flight is international, the extra charge does NOT apply. You would have been FAR better off with the United booking. You will get NO help from AirFrance-rude and crappy customer service. Good luck!!!

Archived