Here It Is Boys and Girls...New Dress Code

KenMo

I don't get that logic at all. Isn't the charge for an extra bag on the airlines only $25? Isn't the charge for tux rental $75 (or something like that)?

While you are correct, realize that that is $25.00 each way, so there's $50.00, plus the dry cleaning of course, and on 7-8 day, 2 formal nights means 2 shirts, so there's extra dry cleaning. I'm thinking it comes pretty close to the same amount if you really look at it. But then again, as was pointed out also, there's still the wife's dress so the garmet bag needs to come anyway... I don't know, we'll probably continue to bring our own in reality, but I'm sure not fond of the airline decisions! I'm still trying to figure out how one can pack and make the weight limit! LOL! We haven't had to worry about that since we live at a port, but the next 2 cruises we are going on are leaving out of other places so we will have to deal with the airlines. I wonder how long a drive it is from San Diego to Canada? :D I'm pretty sure it's too far to drive to Barcelona though! ;)

People already dress down enough as it is, so an even more relaxed dress code will probably mean that people will be even more casual.

I'm with you, but.....

Before I read the first post, I didn't realize that Carnival had any kind of dress code (I was just going by what I've seen passengers wear in the past).

So when I read the "new" dress code, I thought, wow, Carnival is attempting to set some guidelines for appropriate dress, as a courtesy to fellow passengers, and of course to the officers and crew.

OOPS...then I read the rest of the posts, and find out this is a relaxing of the dress code !

Was there ever really one to begin with ??? :D

I don't think there's such a thing as "dress shorts" for men. I mean, I know they exist, but I just don't think they are dressy.

For women, though, I do think those nice new dress shorts made of slacks material (that go to your knees) are pretty dressy for shorts.

Go to Bermuda... plenty of "dress shorts".

Was this necessary? Typical response though to someone who is afraid of change? This is a fabulous look on some men. It should not be attempted by most men, but for long buff beefcakes like myself its wonderful. BTW, my g/f loves them as well.

Also, my area of science is not going to be validated by the manpri revolution. This is a hobby. Not a profession.

Fabulous?? :confused: Definitely gay...not that there's any problem with that mind you.. ;)

What is different???? it has always been that way. What is the big deal. It is just being enforced now because of people who don't read the brochure and all.

Well....since Carnival stated it is different at the beginning of the memo, my first instinct would be to assume it's different. And in reading through the memo, it is different.

Some differences:

-Heelys (sp?) are mentioned

-Jeans are mentioned

-Dress shorts are allowed for non-formal dinner

-Gym shorts, basketball shorts, beach flip-flops are mentioned

Now, if you're talking about enforcement....well, that's a different issue.

Maybe Carnival is hoping this will give it's cruisers one less thing to complain about. If this works as planned just think of all the space that will be freed up on the boards when people finally realize it's all allowed now? I don't care what the policy is as long as it's clear and that if shorts are going to be allowed that everyone can wear them if desired. Honestly once the person is sitting down the table cloth covers it all anyway. I like the idea that everyone can focus on themselves and not have to worry so much as to who is breaking what rules and what should be done about it. Looking back on my first cruises I can't help but think how silly and what a waste it was even acknowledging what others were wearing. :)

It is indeed a sad day upon hearing the decision handed down by Carnival. I think the cruise line industry started out for people to have a great time on board. When first conceived, I feel they could also step back into the guilded age of luxury travel only offered to the "well to do" folks and create a modern day ship of formality in dress, food, atmosphere, bringing yesteryear back to the high seas, if only on FORMAL NIGHT. Here was an evening where one's fantasy can run wild with all the trappings. Dressing as if we were Vanderbilt, Morgan, and the other powerful brokers of finance... and being treated as if we were the same.

Try as I might, I find that no amount of insult or put downs that would have any affect on your decisions to wear to the dining room what you would wear to "Hooters". Your entire life revolves around an ongoing discussion turned argument that "Bud is better than Miller".

You are content to rebel against anything that might require some sort of change on your part. You seem almost glad to be the square peg in the round hole.

But now, my friend, there is trouble. Real trouble.! You will no longer be the exception,(hi-fives, bubba and bubbalicious, nascar racing, bowling, 3 dogs under your trailer, and a couple of cars on blocks) you will be the RULE...!!!! You will now look around at the dinner table and see others wearing their ball caps backwards, others with sleeveless shirts, others with camo jean shorts and shower clogs. How are you going to stand out among this bunch...?? Where is the shock factor you were hoping for on this trip..:rolleyes:

Oh, I will keep an eye on you, Johnny Bob, and your sweet thang, Joonteenth, as we are served a 4 to 5 course elegant dinner with a bottle of special wine by our own "waiters" who are more than happy to see us at each seating. We "dress" for dinner, unlike you and yours who "get dressed for dinner". Some day you will dicipher the difference JB. Anyway, as we proceed back to our "special" table all to ourselves our wait staff is at attention ready to pull out chairs, seat each of us, spread our napkins on our lap and commence fulfilling our every need. No, JB, you won't learn any of this as you pull up and shout your order into a clown's head at your local drive thru chicken joint..... but, you knew that... right??? :D

I cry myself to sleep last night because my Spartans forgot to take off their manpris to play, and I miss some interesting things. For all the "haters" out there. Envy and jealousy are NOT flattering personality traits. You are probably best to not have manpris since those glaring personality flaws would hinder your ability to pull of this look. Kenmo, you are correct, Missouri may not yet be a mecca of manpris, but they are to be found, I would probably stay away from Tractor Supply and Walmart though on my quest. I cannot wait for what the day brings in regards to this post, but for now, I must get to the gym.. you dont to look this good without keeping up at it.:p ;) :rolleyes:

It will make packing easier for our family of 5.

Well with the airlines restrictions on luggage, the cruiseline would have to relax their dress codes or have no one in the main dining rooms for formal nights. Formalwear takes up room in a suitcase or requires the use of a garment bag. It's just not as easy to travel with formal wear.

This new dress code is not supposed to take place until 05/19/08....I see you're sailing in 22 days.

I haven't looked but others say it's on Carnival's website already. So....who knows??

If we hit the dining room more than 1 formal night, I do have other dresses and will wear them. We are going to Scarletts one night. We wanted to do a formal night to get a good formal picture of us. The last cruise, we only went dining once, otherwise it was the buffet and that was our choice because of the timing and just the fact we could eat when we wanted, etc. Because there are other dining options onboard, if you don't want to follow the dining room standards, eat at the buffet, etc.

Wow, people are really wound up about this arent they??....what's wrong with a pair of dress docker shorts and a silk shirt with dress shoes......does that really offend other people......its casual people, deal with it......life is too short (pun intended) to worry about this crap.........

(Spartygrad95, your team looked good last night!!! NOT!!)

Daniel Craig could probably pull off the manpris as well as any man. Isn't he the one who wants to do a gay scene in the next Bond movie?

Yes.. and? Dont ya think there are gay men who like James Bond ?

Craig can pull off anything... please pull it off !!:D

It is indeed a sad day upon hearing the decision handed down by Carnival. I think the cruise line industry started out for people to have a great time on board. When first conceived, I feel they could also step back into the guilded age of luxury travel only offered to the "well to do" folks and create a modern day ship of formality in dress, food, atmosphere, bringing yesteryear back to the high seas, if only on FORMAL NIGHT. Here was an evening where one's fantasy can run wild with all the trappings. Dressing as if we were Vanderbilt, Morgan, and the other powerful brokers of finance... and being treated as if we were the same.

Try as I might, I find that no amount of insult or put downs that would have any affect on your decisions to wear to the dining room what you would wear to "Hooters". Your entire life revolves around an ongoing discussion turned argument that "Bud is better than Miller".

You are content to rebel against anything that might require some sort of change on your part. You seem almost glad to be the square peg in the round hole.

But now, my friend, there is trouble. Real trouble.! You will no longer be the exception,(hi-fives, bubba and bubbalicious, nascar racing, bowling, 3 dogs under your trailer, and a couple of cars on blocks) you will be the RULE...!!!! You will now look around at the dinner table and see others wearing their ball caps backwards, others with sleeveless shirts, others with camo jean shorts and shower clogs. How are you going to stand out among this bunch...?? Where is the shock factor you were hoping for on this trip..:rolleyes:

Oh, I will keep an eye on you, Johnny Bob, and your sweet thang, Joonteenth, as we are served a 4 to 5 course elegant dinner with a bottle of special wine by our own "waiters" who are more than happy to see us at each seating. We "dress" for dinner, unlike you and yours who "get dressed for dinner". Some day you will dicipher the difference JB. Anyway, as we proceed back to our "special" table all to ourselves our wait staff is at attention ready to pull out chairs, seat each of us, spread our napkins on our lap and commence fulfilling our every need. No, JB, you won't learn any of this as you pull up and shout your order into a clown's head at your local drive thru chicken joint..... but, you knew that... right??? :D

Sparty, please take note..

Well said aphone!

I cry myself to sleep last night because my Spartans forgot to take off their manpris to play, and I miss some interesting things. For all the "haters" out there. Envy and jealousy are NOT flattering personality traits. You are probably best to not have manpris since those glaring personality flaws would hinder your ability to pull of this look. Kenmo, you are correct, Missouri may not yet be a mecca of manpris, but they are to be found, I would probably stay away from Tractor Supply and Walmart though on my quest. I cannot wait for what the day brings in regards to this post, but for now, I must get to the gym.. you dont to look this good without keeping up at it.:p ;) :rolleyes:

Sparty, you tease, you. You keep telling us how great you look and then make us wait for the photos. Heck, as buff as you are, I'll settle for a photo of you in your workout clothes. (Hey, they might be even better than the manpris! Especially if you wear those nice compression shorts to show off your um...bum.)

Unfortunately, like Missouri, there must be a shortage of stores selling the manpris as I haven't seen any around San Antonio. But I could just not be going to the right places. Although, I have to admit, I didn't realize I was missing anything because I REALLY like nice pressed levis on a guy, especially when they are very form-fitting (aka tight) with a tucked in cowboy shirt and boots and we have lots of guys wearing that around here. (Heck, if the guy is good looking / well built, and his clothes show off his assets, I don't really care what he's wearing.)

Carnival's business model, since day one, has never been to operate an elitist cruise line but to be a mass market line.

Archived