Good Itinerary for Eurodam 11/8/08 Caribbean?

mp006

Trying to plan a Caribbean cruise-never done a southern cruise-only northern ones. Things important to us:

Less children on cruise.

More relaxation time in ports (less shore excursions-beaches ok).

Scenery, of course.

Shady spots to retreat to for my DH-don't want to spend an arm & a leg for cover.

Considering Holland America Eurodam 7 days 11/8/2008 from FLL-2 at sea days, Grand Turks, Turks & Caicos, San Juan, Puerto Rico, St. Thomas USVI, Half Moon Cay, Bahamas.

Can you give me input on advantages/disadvantages of this date or ports?

Hey there mp006,

I am doing the almost identical itinerary on Eurodam, November 1-8 (the week before the cruise that you are looking at), and have done all of these ports before.

My opinion (for what its worth!) is that you are better off doing the alternate itinerary from the one you are looking at - if that's a possibility based on the dates you can travel.

The only difference is that San Juan, PR is replaced with Tortola, BVI - the order is exactly the same. Having just been to San Juan for the first time, I can tell you that its not particularly relaxing, nor is it a "beachy" kind of place. San Juan is a city - a tropical one, but a city no less.

Tortola is much nicer, in my opinion. Lots of beaches, and lots of interesting island hopping to be done (The Baths on Virgin Gorda, Peter Island, Norman Island etc.).

That said, between Eurodam's inaugural Caribbean sailing in October and the middle of December, there are only two dates with this intinerary - November 1st and November 29.

As for kids, it depends what you define as "less" - less than holiday periods. Yes. Less than other older HAL ships, longer itineraries etc...probably not.

That said, we'd love to have you join us on the November 1st cruise - we've got an active roll call going already. Happy cruising, whatever your decision might be!

Booked on this sailing and love the itinerary! There are plenty of beaches in San Juan if that's what 'ya wanna do, but I enjoy a slight change of pace there since we arrive early and have most of the day to explore this wonderful port. Every other port on this itinerary is beach intensive!

Thanks for the info. Can anyone tell me if my dh will be able to find shade without paying an arm and a leg for a cabana? It's going to be real difficult talking him into a southern itinerary, unless there is a shady place to hang out.

Can anyone tell me if my dh will be able to find shade without paying an arm and a leg for a cabana?

If your DH is willing to drop down to Promenade Deck there should always be one side in shade.

I expect there will be covered areas on Lido Deck, just as there are on the Noordam.

No doubt there will be many (many, many) first-hand reports from the ship once she sails. Stay tuned.

We selected the Puerto Rico itinerary because of Puerto Rico.

Most of the time when we've stopped in Puerto Rico on a cruise, we've been there a short period of time (like 5 - 11 pm, or 8am to 2 pm). No time to do anything....we've seen the fort and walked around OSJ.

This time because we're in port 13 hours we're going to rent a car and just GO!:)

Archived