Quiet Islands

bek1235

DH and I want to take a cruise sometime early next year (Feb-March), and wanted to know which cruise you'd recommend for relaxing. We're not too fond of hustle and bustle, but are up for quiet beaches and lots of good snorkeling spots. Any ideas as to which islands are the quietest?

Try Tahiti and its neighboring islands - some of them are extremely quiet. We are spending a week on Rangiroa at the Kia Ora Sauvage - there are only five huts on the island, no electricity, no phones, no outside bothers. You can't get much quieter than that!

If that's too quiet, try Huahine, Taha'a, Raitea, all small and very quiet. And the diving/snorkeling is spectacular.

At the moment, Princess's TP and the Paul Gauguin both cruise in the area.

Charlie

Even on ships full of people, we've been able to find quiet beach spots on all of the Caribbean Islands. You don't HAVE to be part of a group and, aside from Nassau, most beaches are easy to get to on your own. Very few crowds!

If you can wait until April/May, the Bermuda sailings start. My most quiet and relaxing cruise ever. I went in the fall of the year, but the early April/May sailings are quiet because the kids aren't out of school yet and the full summer sailings haven't started. The water tends to be a little cooler early in the season but Bermuda is absolutely gorgeous and very laid back. You won't find the Senor Frogs and such, not your typical cruise port you'll find in some of the Caribbean. Which Bermuda isn't Caribbean by the way. It's only about 500 or so miles off the coast of NC.

In my opinion, a cruise is the best way to get there, as it can be very costly doing a land trip, everything is expensive because it all has to be shipped in. So you ship becomes your 'hotel'.

I sailed the NCL Majesty there and though its an older and smaller ship, it has a unique quaintness about it. None of the glitz and glamour or bells and whistles of the huge ships, but she has heart.

Have fun whatever you decide.:)

Any stops in the British Virgin Islands or St John, USVIs, St. Barts, Barbados. Agree that you can find quiet beaches on most islands but some St. Thomas - (although you can ferry to St John from there), Jamaica, Cozumel, St. Marten, etc. are busier than others.

Archived