Times Square restaurants

nesheiml

Looking for recommendations for restaurants in the Times Square area. Not too expensive, but good food - specifically Italian and steaks. We're staying at the Sheraton New York Hotel and Towers.

I tried searching for restaurants and all I got were threads for Florida departures even though I was searching the other ones.

Not sure what your price range is (New York generally is not cheap), but my favorite steakhouse in the Times Square area is Frankie and Johnnie's. Website is http://www.frankieandjohnnies.com/45thst/media/websitefrankieandjohnnies.html. A close second is Gallagher's: http://www.gallaghersnysteakhouse.com/. For Italian, I like Becco: http://www.becconyc.com/index2.htm.

We like Carmine's, it is just a few blocks from your hotel, it is an easy walk. If you look up restaurant row, which is just off of Times Square, you will find better, more affordable restaurants. Most of the eateries in

Times Square are overpriced and not that good.

Bobby Flay from the Food Network has 2 restaurants in the TS area, pricey, but good.

Restaurant Row is an easy walk from TS.

Restaurant row is at 46th street, off 8th avenue. There isn't a bad restaurant there. Carmine's, which isn't on restaurant row,but closer to Broadway and Times Square, has great food but it is very very noisy. They don't take reservations, but it's family style, huge portions, and OK food.

Carmines is on 44th between 7th and 8th. John's Pizza, which is on the corner of 44th and 8th is really good too. On 43rd and Broadway, is Tony DiNapoli's - same style food as Carmines, but tastier, in my opinion. If you head over to 9th avenue, there are a TON of great restaurants there.

I hope this helps :)

Try using this website, www.menupages.com - just click on West 40's, West 50's, etc. - whatever area you want to eat in. The list of restaurants in each area is pretty extensive and I've found that the reviews are pretty accurate. Plus you can see each restaurant's menu so you'll be prepared for the "sticker shock".

I would go to restaurants on 9th and 10th Ave and avoid those that are right in the Times Square area. They're usually very crowded and noisy and the prices are really high. The exception would be restaurant row - smaller places and the food is usually pretty good. Most of them also have a "prix fixe" dinner that includes appetizer, dinner and desert.

A good place to search for restaurants in NY is Opentable.com You can make reservations from home, and it is free to join. You can check out as many menus as you wish.

Most Italian restaurants in NY are fine. There are different types of Italian restaurants. Northern Italian really doesn't have red sauce or pasta. You will find risotto and veal and chicken at these restaurants. Southern Italian serves red sauce and your pastas. Many pizza places serve a decent pasta dish at reasonable prices, if that is what you wish.

I also recommend Becco's it is owned by Lidia, of the Cooking with Lidia show on PBS. There are many specials and the wines are reasonable also. Make sure you make reservations, it is popular. I am not crazy about Carmines. It is very noisy, and they do not take reservations for small parties.

Some steak houses in NY are VERY expensive. That is why it is good to check the menu first:) A nice restaurant within walking distance to Times square is the Bryant Park Grill (it is moderately priced by NY standards)

I always recommend that people join all the free discount sites. Playbill.com often gives discounts to hotels and restaurants, and parking, as well as shows. I happened to notice this discount. I just ate here last month, and the food is very good. Join playbill.com to get the discount

TRATTORIA DOPO TEATRO 2006 Wine Spectator Award of Excellence

2007 Wine Spectator Best of Award of Excellence

Nestled in the heart of the Theater District, Trattoria Dopo Teatro serves delicious Italian food and award-winning wines in a unique setting. A maze of small rooms, cozy dining alcoves, an interior garden, and a wine cellar, Trattoria Dopo Teatro is well suited for large groups as well as intimate dinners. Corporate events, private parties and elegant weddings are welcome. Off-premise catering is also available.

Playbill Members Receive a 10% discount on lunch or dinner at Trattoria Dopo Teatro with a copy of this page (offer not valid with prix fixe menus and other specials).

125 W. 44th Street (between Sixth Ave. and Broadway)

New York, NY

(212) 869-2809

info@dopoteatro.com

Hours: Monday - Saturday, Noon - Midnight

Sunday, 3 pm - Midnight

Trattoria Dopo Teatro Specials: Four-course pre-theater, dinner 5 - 7:30pm

Saturday Brunch, Noon - 3 pm

Daily Lunch and Dinner specials

Credit Cards Accepted: Visa, MasterCard, American Express, Discover

www.DopoTeatro.com *Offer may be changed or revoked at any time without notice.

Not in Times Square, but a short taxi/subway ride away. THE BEST (IMHO)-Little Italy-Mulberry St and a few on Mott. The area is NOTHING but Italian restaurants. DaNico is one of the best. Their Osso Buco is particularly good. You are almost bound to see someone on the "who's who" list. I have seen Mayor Guiliani in there at least 4 times. Casa Bella is another VERY good Italian restaurant. John Gotti used to frequent the place. Still a kinda, sorta mob hang out. One of the mob social clubs is right around the corner.

Just walk up and down Mulberry, look at the menus. I do a lot of business in the Little Italy/Chinatown area. I have probably tried at least 50% of the restaurants in the area. MUCH better than around Times Square.

Times Square to me is STREET FOOD, whether lunch or dinner. Who can pass on a Hebrew National or Nathan's hot dog or a piece of pizza or a hot pretzel? Those things to me ARE Times Square, not a restaurant designed for the theater crowd.

Carmines is on 44th between 7th and 8th. John's Pizza, which is on the corner of 44th and 8th is really good too. On 43rd and Broadway, is Tony DiNapoli's - same style food as Carmines, but tastier, in my opinion. If you head over to 9th avenue, there are a TON of great restaurants there.

I hope this helps :)

Tony DiNapoli's is just as good as Carmines, takes reservations and is so much quieter.

TRATTORIA DOPO TEATRO we used to eat there often, but in my opinion it's not as good as it used to be.

Looking for recommendations for restaurants in the Times Square area. Not too expensive, but good food - specifically Italian and steaks. We're staying at the Sheraton New York Hotel and Towers.

I tried searching for restaurants and all I got were threads for Florida departures even though I was searching the other ones.

I used to work right in the area. Here are a couple of my favorites:

Rosie O'Gradys- 7th Ave between 53rd and 52nd

Ben Benson's - 52nd between 6th and 7th ave (a little pricey)

Remi- 53rd Street between 6th and 7th Ave (pricey) This is right across from the Sheraton garage though I'm not sure which Sheraton. I always mix up the Sheraton Manhattan and the Sheraton NY

Heartland Brewery- 51st and 6th

Cancun-8th Ave and 55th Street

Pasta Lovers-48th (I think) between 6th and 7th

There is a good coffee shop on the corner of 54th and 7th. They have a good breakfast there.

• 3 months later...

Carmines is over hyped. Go to Tony's Dinapoli on W. 43rd and Braodway. The food is just as good, cheaper and you don't have to make a reservation six months in advance of going.

John's Pizzeria is also outstanding - ask to be seated inside the big room. (It used to be a church)

Archived