Travel time fronm pier to airport,can I make a 10:45 flight

mmcipdn

Hi,

I just came back from Sydney on 3-24. I left my hotel at circular quay (which is where the cruise ships dock) at 10:45 and got to the airport at 11:15 and was already finished checking in and pass thru security by 12:30. It was a slow day at the United counter and we breezed by.

Annie

Hi,

I just came back from Sydney on 3-24. I left my hotel at circular quay (which is where the cruise ships dock) at 10:45 and got to the airport at 11:15 and was already finished checking in and pass thru security by 12:30. It was a slow day at the United counter and we breezed by.

Annie

Thanks Annie, that was fast..did you fly into LAX? or where and what was customs like when you arrived, I am assuming that you flew back to US.

Thanks again..

I flew from Sydney to SFO nonstop.** I was surprised that the lines at SYD airport was shorter than the lines in SFO.* I had no problems with customs in SF.* Of course, I didn't buy that much since Australia was very expensive.annie

Due to potential traffic delays, check in time and security screening we recommend you be at the airport for domestic travel at least 60 minutes before departure.

For passengers travelling on international flights we recommend 120 minutes for Economy class and 90 minutes for First and Business class passengers.

The above quote is from the Qantas website but it depends who you are flying with. It should only take about half an hour from Circular Quay but you should allow an hour in case of traffic problems. So if your flight leaves at 10.45 theoretically, you need to be off the ship and in a taxi by 7.45am.

Just as an example it only takes about 25 minutes from our place to the airport but we always book a taxi an hour before to make sure.

We will be arriving syndey 11-22 (sat) on the rhaposday of the seas.

If we are off the boat by 9:30 at the latest. How long will it take to get to the airport and checked in?

Thanks

Paul

Paul, we are on this sailing, too. Please, join the roll call for the 11/11/2008 Rhapsody.

We are doing the B2B so we will be staying on the ship for the New Caledonia/South Pacific leg. When we get back to Sydney on Dec 2nd we will stay one night then fly to Auckland for 3 days before heading back to SF.

I live in Texas, but will be staying in the SF bay area with family for a few days before and after the BIG flight, so will have a chance to rest up.

will we have to deal with australia customs when we arrive back in sydney if the ship is only calling on australia ports?

I can't see any reason why you would have to deal with customs but I'm not an expert. That question might be better asked at the P&O Australia board.

We will be arriving syndey 11-22 (sat) on the rhaposday of the seas.

If we are off the boat by 9:30 at the latest. How long will it take to get to the airport and checked in?

Thanks

Paul

To the OP:

I would strongly advise against making such a tight connection.

You are gambling on several things:

1. That your ship will arrive on time and be cleared by customs and immigration in time for you to depart by 9:30.
  2. That traffic will allow a speedy trip to the airport.
  3. That check-in will be quick, with no holdups.

1. While most cruise ships are cleared in timely fashion, it is not a given. Most cruise lines advise not booking any flight that departs before mid-day.
  2. If you have a good run with traffic, your journey from the docks to the airport could take about 50 minutes. If the traffic is bad, you could take an hour and a half. You would also need to have pre-booked transport, as taxi lines can be long.
  3. As others have advised, you are required to be at the airport to check in 2 hours before international flight departures (economy class) or 90 minutes if in Business or First class. While some have had an experience of a fast check in and security clearance, this is also the luck of the draw. I frequently travel through Sydney airport. While most departures have been hassle-free, I have also had the experience more than once of being in line for over an hour before checking in and then being held up by the line to pass through security. On one occasion, I barely made a flight for which I arrived two and a half hours before its planned departure.

The choice is yours, of course. I'm not saying it can't be done, but do you really want to end your cruise holiday by a panic-stricken rush to catch a flight?

To the OP:

I would strongly advise against making such a tight connection.

You are gambling on several things:

1. That your ship will arrive on time and be cleared by customs and immigration in time for you to depart by 9:30.
  2. That traffic will allow a speedy trip to the airport.
  3. That check-in will be quick, with no holdups.

1. While most cruise ships are cleared in timely fashion, it is not a given. Most cruise lines advise not booking any flight that departs before mid-day.
  2. If you have a good run with traffic, your journey from the docks to the airport could take about 50 minutes. If the traffic is bad, you could take an hour and a half. You would also need to have pre-booked transport, as taxi lines can be long.
  3. As others have advised, you are required to be at the airport to check in 2 hours before international flight departures (economy class) or 90 minutes if in Business or First class. While some have had an experience of a fast check in and security clearance, this is also the luck of the draw. I frequently travel through Sydney airport. While most departures have been hassle-free, I have also had the experience more than once of being in line for over an hour before checking in and then being held up by the line to pass through security. On one occasion, I barely made a flight for which I arrived two and a half hours before its planned departure.

The choice is yours, of course. I'm not saying it can't be done, but do you really want to end your cruise holiday by a panic-stricken rush to catch a flight?

celle, Thanks so much..I appreciate your input.. any suggestions on who,where, to prearrange trans to airport..other than thru the ship trnsfers? we will be in sydney for 4 days before we board and could take care of this then..Have a great day..

celle, Thanks so much..I appreciate your input.. any suggestions on who,where, to prearrange trans to airport..other than thru the ship trnsfers? we will be in sydney for 4 days before we board and could take care of this then..Have a great day..

I go to Sydney to visit my brother and family, so I haven't much experience of getting from the port to the airport, only from the suburbs.

However, if it were me, I would be inclined to use a taxi.

Why? Because you would be dependent on other people's timetables if you use ship transfers. While there is a station within walking distance of where the ship docks, I would avoid trains - you will have luggage and it is not always easy to move this around on trains. I think you would have to change trains at least once to get from the ship to the airport. (Perhaps Sydney locals could chime in here and offer more specific advice?) I see you arrive on a Saturday, so the usual weekday morning rush hour may not be a problem.

I'm not sure if there are any private companies that do ship to airport transfers - help again, please from locals?

I'm not sure if there are any private companies that do ship to airport transfers - help again, please from locals?

PS: I just did a quick search on Google and it came up with this:

http://www.onelimo.com/ONE_limo_Sydney_Limousines.htm

I have no personal experience, but they might be able to help.

Enjoy your holiday!

Celle

1. ...
  2. If you have a good run with traffic, your journey from the docks to the airport could take about 50 minutes. If the traffic is bad, you could take an hour and a half.

Although I agree with the general advice, I think that this time estimate is a bit on the pessimistic side for a Circular Quay to airport run, which I would expect to be done down the Eastern Distributor and Southern Cross Drive (no tolls in this direction IIRC). On a good day, I think this should be about 20 minutes, maybe double that in bad traffic.
I think you would have to change trains at least once to get from the ship to the airport. (Perhaps Sydney locals could chime in here and offer more specific advice?)
No, trains run direct from Circular Quay station to the airport - see here for the current weekend timetable.

But you'd have to make sure that you could walk a good 5 minutes from the terminal to Circular Quay station with your luggage, and manage to get upstairs to the platforms. There are escalators and lifts at both stations, but some people's luggage may still be difficult to manage.

Although I agree with the general advice, I think that this time estimate is a bit on the pessimistic side for a Circular Quay to airport run, which I would expect to be done down the Eastern Distributor and Southern Cross Drive (no tolls in this direction IIRC). On a good day, I think this should be about 20 minutes, maybe double that in bad traffic.No, trains run direct from Circular Quay station to the airport - see here for the current weekend timetable.

But you'd have to make sure that you could walk a good 5 minutes from the terminal to Circular Quay station with your luggage, and manage to get upstairs to the platforms. There are escalators and lifts at both stations, but some people's luggage may still be difficult to manage.

Thanks, Globaliser. I was hoping someone with more personal experience would be able to help the OP, but I did not want him/her to bank all on everything going like clockwork, when I have experienced several long hold-ups actually at the airport.

Most of the time, things go smoothly, but there is always the odd exception, and a series of small delays can so easily add up to a missed flight.

Thanks to all, I went ahead and booked the 10;45 flight,, i guess if we miss it we will stay a few extra days in your beautiful country.

I figure if we can be off the ship by 7:00 am we will make it.

If we do great, if not , Oh well, stuff happens..Its only money for another ticket or stay till Monday..we will decide when it happens..Thanks again.

now tell me that air tathi..will fly..

So if you're not that worried about making the flight why put yourself through the stress of trying to do it. As you said, stay a couple of days longer and do some sightseeing.

Good morning Mochuck, your up awful early, or up late I guess.

After 42 days on HAL to get to syndey and 4 days in syndey, then another 11 on RCL to barrier reef, I think, no I am sure, the wife will want to get home to see the grandkids.

So we want to make the flight, but if we dont, we are old enought to have learned, that its not the end of the world.

We liked the schedule of the air tahiti flight with a break in papeete..14 hours in one spot, especially coach, is not my idea of a good thing to do.

the flight we choose is a total of 15 1/2 hours with 7 on first leg and a 2 hour break, then another 8 1/2 for a total of 17 1/2 hours, including the 2 hours in papeete. A great big thanks to you and all the other posters for taking the time and effort to respond. It is greatly appreciated.

Have a great Friday in Australia. we are really looking forward to visiting your great country.

Good morning Mochuck, your up awful early, or up late I guess.
The clocks have now gone back to winter time in Australia. So it wasn't that late!

Sometimes I think I'm a very sad person, having to be able to work out instantly what the time is in half a dozen spots around the world where I have family or close friends. :)

The clocks have now gone back to winter time in Australia. So it wasn't that late!

Sometimes I think I'm a very sad person, having to be able to work out instantly what the time is in half a dozen spots around the world where I have family or close friends. :)

Oh No they haven't :D:D

It's been extended a week and we change back tonight 05 APR

Mind you a number of people were caught out last Saturday with some peoples mobile phones changing back to EST automatically!

Maurice

NZ clocks also go back one hour this weekend (overnight, Saturday to Sunday night).

Now that we have the time settled...do you all have any experience with air tahiti nui..Its 4;55 pm friday in fort worth, texas and a very beautiful day.:)

Now that we have the time settled...do you all have any experience with air tahiti nui..Its 4;55 pm friday in fort worth, texas and a very beautiful day.:)

LOL but unfortunately no. :D

Archived