St Maarten proximity to shopping/beaches

FAR1651

Hi all....

Wondering if you can walk from the ship to shopping and/or beaches in St Maarten. Didn't know if we need to plan on a taxi or book an excursion. My friend and I are not experienced cruisers. Thanks!!

I don't know for sure if it's walkable....we took a taxi, it seemed like it would be a long walk.

Anyway, take a regular taxi or the water taxi. Just say you want to go to town. Phillipsburg is right on the beach. You can get lounge chairs and an umbrella for around $10 I think it was.

If you just want to hang on the beach and do a little shopping then KenMo is correct. We like to use the water taxi. Get the all day ticket and it's good for a round trip or more. There are tons of umbrella setups for rent and the shopping is right there.

If you want to explore more or go to one of the other beaches the taxis are available by going through the plaza at the end of the pier.

Charlie

It's whitin walking distance from the cruise terminal (about 1 mile) or you can take a watertaxi for usd 5 for the whole day. But most of the time you will use it just twice-from and to the ship. If you want to buy alcohol, definitely St.Maarten is the place, and if you buy it in supermarkets it's even cheaper and remember that the prices in the supermarket are in antillean guilders

If you want to buy alcohol, definitely St.Maarten is the place, and if you buy it in supermarkets it's even cheaper and remember that the prices in the supermarket are in antillean guilders

Can you use US dollars?

does anyone happen to remember the name of this beach that is just a water taxi ride away in town? is there was a watersports center there? some of our teens would like to ride a jet ski or wave runner. we're 17 people on liberty of the seas this august, cant wait!!

thanks for the info..

Philipsburg is located on Great Bay which is where the cruise ships dock. Great Bay is the largest industrial commercial port in St. Maarten and therefore receives discharges of all sorts from those watercraft. Most importantly however, there are two ditches which discharge into the Bay. One is located very close to the beach. Those ditches contain all kinds of toxins including materials which drain from the garbage dump at the Salt Pond and human wastes. Under no circumstances would I ever step foot into Great Bay. It provides an excellent view and the beverages are cold. In addition, the beach is man-made with imported dredged materials.

Go to Orient Beach which is rated as one of the top 3 beaches in the Caribbean.

• 2 weeks later...

thanks for this info. who wants to swim with waste and toxins!!!yuck!!! i'll make sure we dont go to this beach but how about the water at little divi bay beach?? should we go there for clean water or is it still to close to the ships?? please recommend a clean beach for awesome atmosphere,snorkling and watersports. maybe we should forget the snorkling and go to orient beach as you are suggesting.

Archived