How to Split My Pre-Cruise Time Between Hong Kong and Tokyo

MalibuCA

We are cruising on the Crystal Symphony on March 27, 2009 from Hong Kong. My pre-cruise plan looks like this:

3/22: Arrive in the evening in Tokyo

3/23: Tokyo

3/24: Tokyo

3/25: Fly to Hong Kong (a 5-hour flight, which should take up the day)

3/26: Hong Kong

3/27: Hong Kong + embark the ship, probably about 3:00 p.m.

3/28: Hong Kong + ship departs at 6:00 p.m. (must be back on board about 5:00 p.m.)

This gives us 2 full days in Tokyo and 2+ full days in Hong Kong for sightseeing (all day 3/26 + 1/2 day on 3/27 and most of the day on 3/28).

How does this sound? Should I be splitting the two cities equally like this, or should I spend more time in one city and less in the other? In addition, if you can provide me with suggestions of what to see in each city given the time constraints, I most appreciate that too! I look forward to all the advice that fellow cruisecritics shipmates have to offer. Thanks!

Shelley;)

Do you have an afternoon flight out of Narita to Hong Kong? Where are you staying in Tokyo? What are your interests in Tokyo and Japan? Are you interested in Cherry Blossoms? Are you interested in shrines and temples? Do you want to see Hakone, Kamakura, Nikko, Yokohama, Fuji-san, or any other locales close to Tokyo? Would you prefer to see Kyoto instead of Tokyo?

Most importantly, are you mobility impaired in any way?

I could fill up days in Tokyo or the surrounding areas. If you are lucky, you might be here for the beggining of cherry blossoms. If you could state what you are interested in, I could be a bit more specific on how many days to allocate.

As for Hong Kong, if you are not interested in the restaurants and the shopping, one to two days is plenty. Of course, you can add days for Macau and Hong Kong Disney and New Territories....

Marc

To tell you the truth, I don't know yet what I am specifically interested in seeing because I haven't started to research Tokyo yet. I began my search with Hong Kong. I was in Tokyo in 1980, but I must confess that I don't remember too much other than pearls and smiling school children and sushi. What would you recommend?

Also, as an alternative to beginning our trip in Tokyo, we are interested in visiting Xi'an. Crystal offers a 3-day post-cruise package to Xi'an only and a 5-day pre-cruise package to Xi'an and Guillan. Time is a factor because we are not yet retired, and my husband wants to keep his job for when we return!

Should we save Tokyo for another trip to Asia and go to Xi'an instead? Is Guillan worth seeing -- enough that it would be best to take the 5-day pre-cruise rather than just the 3-day post-cruise excursion to Xi'an only?

Please help! I really appreciate it!

Shelley

Shelley - to be honest, I don't think you could really do Tokyo or Hong Kong if you had three times the amount of time. Our adopted son is from Tokyo and he keeps saying he wants to take us back to see it. Just as long as he doesn't ask us to borrow the money so he can do the trip, I'll be happy!

Seriously, I think you should leave Tokyo and perhaps visit it at a later time. There is so much to see and do in the city, as well as the rest of the country. I think I could spend a year just in Kyoto!

Hong Kong is the same way, so so much to see and do, that it really is a trip onto itself. We spent two days there and didn't even begin to scratch the surface, despite a very full tour schedule.

Whatever you decide, you will have a very exciting time!

Charlie

Our cruise ended in Hong Kong on March 21st and we fly home tomorrow, 4/1. Everyday has been fun, interesting and packed full of activities. Of course, it helps if you like to hike and walk. Hong Kong is our favorite city in Asia.

I would save Japan for a future trip. Do China right. Xian is much more important to see than Hong Kong. However, I would do with a private tour instead of cruise line pre or post cruise; you will see more for less money.

Marc

Archived