Carnival has new dress code..

onceagain

I am going to stick my 2c in here..

Why does what someone else is wearing affect your cruise? If jeans are allowed, so what?

I have girlfriends that wear their jeans with a super dressy top and shoes and look alot dressier than some others.

Some of the men on board wear tuxedos that they have not worn since the last bar mizvah, in some cases their own by the length of the pant leg.. might as well make them manpris.. (threw that in there for you sparty)

Some of the gowns woman wear, you know the ones.. that look like they wore them 4 weddings ago when they were mother of the bride, aunt of the bride.. perhaps the bride themselves. Sorry but beading and georgette and tuile are not very fashionable these days.

When I go to dinner all i care about is the food, the company and the service and when i say company.. i mean personality.

I am too busy having a good time to worry what Harry and Sally Cruiser are wearing..

We can all banter back and forth about a time long ago..they wore corsets and garters and bustiers and hoop skirts.. wanna bring those back too?

And on the flip side of the token, just because you are wearing 7 jeans... What does that mean? My Levis look better on me that my Seven for all Mankinds, My D&G Jeans rock.. who cares.. Should I dress up my jeans with my Louis Vuitton bag? Does it make me better than anyone ? NO WAY...

Wear what suits you.. try to follow the code... Act gracefully.. :cool:

Why does what someone else is wearing affect your cruise? If jeans are allowed, so what?...

Some of the gowns woman wear, you know the ones.. that look like they wore them 4 weddings ago when they were mother of the bride, aunt of the bride.. perhaps the bride themselves. Sorry but beading and georgette and tuile are not very fashionable these days...

When I go to dinner all i care about is the food, the company and the service and when i say company.. i mean personality.

I am too busy having a good time to worry what Harry and Sally Cruiser are wearing...

We can all banter back and forth about a time long ago..they wore corsets and garters and bustiers and hoop skirts.. wanna bring those back too?

And on the flip side of the token, just because you are wearing 7 jeans... What does that mean? My Levis look better on me that my Seven for all Mankinds, My D&G Jeans rock.. who cares.. Should I dress up my jeans with my Louis Vuitton bag? Does it make me better than anyone ? NO WAY...

Wear what suits you.. try to follow the code... Act gracefully.. :cool:

My 2 cents. For me, the fomal dining attire issue is this: I enjoy the formal dining mood. The character of the evening. The formal atmosphere. The formality of the waitstaff. And yes...the attire. The whole nine yards that is formal dining. Yeah the food is nice...I enjoy good food - but that certainly is not why I enjoy formal dining - food is just not "all that" to me. I can cook very well, and find perfectly delicious meals at home in plenty of casual venues. But the evening is not the same. Removing the formality of the attire certainly does not affect the food. But it does affect the evening, and makes it much less "special", and that is one of the main attractions of the cruise, for me. So no...I certainly don't "worry what Harry and Sally Cruiser are wearing" ...but I certainly have the right to enjoy formal dining, and to pass up the cruise if it is no longer offered.

Cost has nothing to do with formality and I'm not entering into the discussion about if jeans are ok in a dining room or not. I just don't understand why you would think that expensive jeans are more formal than say.....a dressy georgette outfit w/ beading......because your jeans might have cost more.

A pair of riding boots can cost $1000., while a pair of formal evening shoes might cost $200. (some here pay under $50).

Why would you make a comparison between the cost of an item and how formal it is or isn't? It just doesn't make sense to me. What's your thought process on this one?

I was stating my jeans are less formal then someone's outfit at dinner and would not wear them to dining room...reread what I stated....I am stating jeans ARE NOT more formal! Regradless of the cost.

My 2 cents. For me, the fomal dining attire issue is this: I enjoy the formal dining mood. The character of the evening. The formal atmosphere. The formality of the waitstaff. And yes...the attire. The whole nine yards that is formal dining. Yeah the food is nice...I enjoy good food - but that certainly is not why I enjoy formal dining - food is just not "all that" to me. I can cook very well, and find perfectly delicious meals at home in plenty of casual venues. But the evening is not the same. Removing the formality of the attire certainly does not affect the food. But it does affect the evening, and makes it much less "special", and that is one of the main attractions of the cruise, for me. So no...I certainly don't "worry what Harry and Sally Cruiser are wearing" ...but I certainly have the right to enjoy formal dining, and to pass up the cruise if it is no longer offered.

So formally dress.. I still dont see why everyone has to be formal.. especiallly if the rules are now relaxed.. hell they didnt follow them before the change.

I know i will be wearing cocktail dresses .. I like dressing up.. But what you are wearing has nothing to do with me, my formal night and my good time

Just my H.O :D

I was stating my jeans are less formal then someone's outfit at dinner and would not wear them to dining room...reread what I stated....I am stating jeans ARE NOT more formal! Regradless of the cost.

ahhh...okay. now I understand. wasn't clear to me at first.

thanks for clearing that up.:)

So formally dress.. I still dont see why everyone has to be formal.. especiallly if the rules are now relaxed.. hell they didnt follow them before the change.

I know i will be wearing cocktail dresses .. I like dressing up.. But what you are wearing has nothing to do with me, my formal night and my good time

Well according to the new dress code it is not considered formal it is now cruise elegance......they are just not putting alot of emphasis on tux's and gowns anymore. I believe people will still dress like they have been.

I know we will. We always do one formal night.

The only thing that really has changed is dress shorts on casual night. Bottom line is the the cruiselines are just giving the vast majority what they want. After all Carnival is the #1 cruiseline in the business. They know what sells. They are in a business to make money and keep their customers happy. From the more relaxed dress codes, anytime dining, and now the more stricter smoking rules.......

From reading a lot of posts on this board it seems a lot of people put more emphasis on how they look and dress for the evening then the food and dining itself. So if that's what is more important to you then I would not sail on any mass market cruiseline.....

As for the vast majority, there will be many more options to enjoy........

Perhaps if I clarify - I don't think I made my point clearly. :o If the attire is "come as you like"...then it's not a formal dinner. Sort of like planning a formal wedding that you've always wanted...and then having the guests show up in khakis and jeans. I imagine the bride would be very disappointed as the entire tone of the evening is no longer what she had envisioned. So while I can certainly enjoy a dinner in the dining room with people dressed as they please, that dinner is not a formal one; and THAT is the difference. The changing of the dress code is essentially the elimination of the formal dining, and that is what I find very unfortunate, and would make cruising less attractive for me. Certainly we are all free to choose our vacation based on what we enjoy, right?

Unlike some I have actually cruised Carnival about 8 times If you havent cruised them and have not plans to do so, I'm not sure why you would care but thats another thread

May I am not that observant, but I have never seen the extremes in the dining room. So I'm not sure why people continue to bring them up esp. people who never been on a FunShip

I am going again in November of this year... so I will see what effect the new policy will have. I bet not much change.

Perhaps if I clarify - I don't think I made my point clearly. :o If the attire is "come as you like"...then it's not a formal dinner. Sort of like planning a formal wedding that you've always wanted...and then having the guests show up in khakis and jeans. I imagine the bride would be very disappointed as the entire tone of the evening is no longer what she had envisioned. So while I can certainly enjoy a dinner in the dining room with people dressed as they please, that dinner is not a formal one; and THAT is the difference. The changing of the dress code is essentially the elimination of the formal dining, and that is what I find very unfortunate, and would make cruising less attractive for me. Certainly we are all free to choose our vacation based on what we enjoy, right?

Soemone posted the new dress code on Ask a crusie queestion under the thread about wearing pants.

On "elegant night" you do not wear shorts or jeans. It sugests sport coats for men and cocktail dresses for women.

Soemone posted the new dress code on Ask a crusie queestion under the thread about wearing pants.

On "elegant night" you do not wear shorts or jeans. It sugests sport coats for men and cocktail dresses for women.

I understand that - but that wasn't the point that I was responding to. I was responding to a poster that was questioning "why does anyone even care what others wear to dinner"? So I was trying to explain my perspective. I don't really care what you wear to dinner, in Applebees, at the Outback, or at a non-formal cruise dinner. My point was, and is, that formal dining is something that I truly enjoy and one of the main attractions of a cruise, so for me, an absence of formal attire means that formal dining is not available on that cruise. I hope that is clearer.

I agree...I really enjoy the formal part of the cruise...dressing up is one of the highlights for me. Also, I would definitely like to comment on your "wedding" example...that exact situation happened to me. DH and I got married in Las Vegas in a very very teeny tiny ceremony and we had 3 good family friends to come as witnesses. DH and I dressed up very formally (of course, since we were the bride and groom) and the friends of ours showed up in shorts and t-shirts. It really threw me for a loop and kind of hurt my feelings that they couldn't muster up enough consideration for my WEDDING. Anyway, I just wanted to share that....because to me, formal night DOES make a difference. :D

I understand that - but that wasn't the point that I was responding to. I was responding to a poster that was questioning "why does anyone even care what others wear to dinner"? So I was trying to explain my perspective. I don't really care what you wear to dinner, in Applebees, at the Outback, or at a non-formal cruise dinner. My point was, and is, that formal dining is something that I truly enjoy and one of the main attractions of a cruise, so for me, an absence of formal attire means that formal dining is not available on that cruise. I hope that is clearer.

Sorry.

ITA! :)

Archived