Carnival has new dress code..

onceagain

I think that a person should wear whatever they are comfortable in to dinner. I donot give a hoot what someone wants to wear and you should'nt too.

Carry this to its logical conclusion and you will see people dining in bikinis, underwear, or even nude. BTW, I added the red for emphasis, not the poster

DON

You need to come out here to Mobile and attend a Mardi Gras ball. When they say "Costume de rigeur", they mean it. If the men aren't wearing proper white tie and tails and the women aren't in ankle length gowns (no pants!!), they don't get in...period. It's really something to see...men and women of all ages dressed to the nines and dancing and partying until the wee hours. One of my favorite times of year down here!

Here in NYC, DH and I go to the ballet at Lincoln Center at least 10 times a year for the past 12 years. We've never seen anyone show up in shorts. There's probably a few that might wear jeans - but I can't recall seeing them, but if they do, they're probably well fitting designer jeans worn with a great top and gorgeous shoes and don't stick out at "jeans". But even that would be rare.

We also go to the symphony about once a year and again, people are "dressed". No one would be barred from entering and there are no dress code instructions on the tickets. I guess the ballet and symphony attracts a crowd that knows better than to wear shorts and tee's to a performance.

Broadway shows are another matter. Lots of slobs. Not all, of course, but a noticable percentage.

Here in NYC, DH and I go to the ballet at Lincoln Center at least 10 times a year for the past 12 years. We've never seen anyone show up in shorts. There's probably a few that might wear jeans - but I can't recall seeing them, but if they do, they're probably well fitting designer jeans worn with a great top and gorgeous shoes and don't stick out at "jeans". But even that would be rare.

We also go to the symphony about once a year and again, people are "dressed". No one would be barred from entering and there are no dress code instructions on the tickets. I guess the ballet and symphony attracts a crowd that knows better than to wear shorts and tee's to a performance.

Broadway shows are another matter. Lots of slobs. Not all, of course, but a noticable percentage.

I don't know of anyone who has ever attempted to go to a Mardi Gras ball without being dressed properly but there are always police at the doors...you can't get in without an invitation and I guess the police are there to discourage any crashers from coming in since it's free food and booze and there is a limit to how many invitations are distributed (at least at the balls we attend...some balls sell tickets). As for the dress code instructions in the invitation, I think that's just tradition...everyone already knows what they have to wear to attend.

It's the tank tops, flip flops, oversize team shirts, baseball caps, etc. that I find, no, not offensive, just out of place. Do these things run my evening? Absolutely not. It's just that there is a time and place for different kind of dressing.

Agree.

Actually I would find that offensive in a dining room at dinner time. It's fine for afternoon beers at the bar, or around the pool, or other informal situations.

Not offensive per se, and not wanting to get anyone's feathers ruffled but meaning and agreeing with you, there is a time and place for the aforementioned clothing and it is not in a nice dining room.;)

Guess you won't be wearing Rami's brown/green gown on formal night that we both love.:D

I respect a person's choice !!!!! WHATEVER:)

Really? I can understand OVERLOOKING a person's choice in wardrobe, but respecting it? No matter what?

I went to breakfast one morning on the Emerald and there was a guy at our table wearing a tank top and shorts...ready to go on an excursion. I really had no problem with the shorts...it was hot in the Med in August. But eating breakfast with someone who's armpit/chest hair was hanging out all around his shirt was just a bit much for me...as I'm sure it would be for other diners.

I think some people need guidance on these matters which is the point of a dress code in the first place. Don was right...taking your "anything goes" viewpoint to the next step would mean dining with people in all manner of undress because some people just don't have the social wherewithal to determine what is appropriate.

Really? I can understand OVERLOOKING a person's choice in wardrobe, but respecting it? No matter what?

I went to breakfast one morning on the Emerald and there was a guy at our table wearing a tank top and shorts...ready to go on an excursion. I really had no problem with the shorts...it was hot in the Med in August. But eating breakfast with someone who's armpit/chest hair was hanging out all around his shirt was just a bit much for me...as I'm sure it would be for other diners.

I think some people need guidance on these matters which is the point of a dress code in the first place. Don was right...taking your "anything goes" viewpoint to the next step would mean dining with people in all manner of undress because some people just don't have the social wherewithal to determine what is appropriate.

There was a gal up in the windjammer one morning when I was on a RCI cruise wearing her terricloth RCI robe with bunny slippers. (but no hair rollers thankgoodness! although her hair was not brushed either- she had bedhead) I did not find that appropriate either-even for the "causal" buffet restuarant.

People can flame me all they want but slob=poor social skills and to me it's nearly impossible to argue that point.

We were watching old movies on TMC the other day and having a discussion of how beautiful people were back then and so well behaved when they dressed better.

They probably changed the dress code because they were hurting for business and figured it might attract more potential customers.

I totally agree. Manners, social skills and beautiful dressing seem to be a thing of the past, unfortunately. When I go on a cruise I like to see a little elegance and manners......it's bad enough wherever you go these days people are sloppy. :mad:

I work in a job where jeans are the norm-so this cruise is my 1 week of the year to dress nicely. While my formal, is not as formal as other dresses-they are pretty to me. No denim will be making its way into my suitcase this cruise. One pair only did last cruise because we went horseback riding-but that is the only time they were worn.

Dress code change or not, I'll still dress nice on our next cruise on Carnival.I want to look nice for my spouse, not other people. Whenever I dress nicely, my husband really appreciates it!( and the other women feel underdressed) Wear what makes you feel pretty and special to your signifigant other, they will appreciate the effort you made.

I totally agree. Manners, social skills and beautiful dressing seem to be a thing of the past, unfortunately. When I go on a cruise I like to see a little elegance and manners......it's bad enough wherever you go these days people are sloppy. :mad:

What does being sloppy have to do with the new dress code:confused:

What does being sloppy have to do with the new dress code

I think the poster meant that going on a cruise is a way to get away from the increasing sloppiness of everyday life, and spend some time in a nicer environment. Some people find manners and elegance a plus on their vacations. :)

Like it or not, how you dress does give others an impression of you, good or bad. I know "what's important is on the inside," but dressing nicely shows respect for those around you. You may not care what people think of you, but there are still social norms as far as what is appropriate to wear in public, and some folks are going to think ill of you if you go too far outside these norms.

I can't believe the number of parents at our school who wear pajamas and slippers to bring their kids into the building. Some even wore pajamas for their parent-teacher conferences! It's hard to take someone seriously if they don't even bother to get dressed before they talk to me about something as important as their children!

Yikes!

Now, I'm not asking for power suits and heels -- just something other than nightwear, and preferably clean.

Elegant dining for Sparty on April 13th. Tuxedo T with Manpris. I hope someone actually gasps at how appalled they are. Actually, as much as I want to, that is not an option unless I want to sleep on the Lido deck AGAIN on this cruise.

Elegant dining for Sparty on April 13th. Tuxedo T with Manpris. I hope someone actually gasps at how appalled they are. Actually, as much as I want to, that is not an option unless I want to sleep on the Lido deck AGAIN on this cruise.

I wouldn't be appalled unless you fail to use deodorant. :p

Like I stink? Come on.. No need.

Weirder things have happened. :rolleyes:

So... you sit over there ---------------------------------------------->

<------ and I'll sit over here

And I still won't be apalled. :cool:

I smell divinely, I assure you. If you read the Cologne thread on this board.. I was asking for suggestions earlier on a new smell scheme. I have chosen Kenzo. It smells so good on me I can barely keep my hands off myself.. :rolleyes: :p

Just my opinion but people can be sloppy in an ill-fitting suit that hasn't been cleaned recently, or a wrinkled, faded polo shirt, or torn jeans and an old t-shirt. It has been my experience that sloppy people will be sloppy in whatever they choose to wear.

I also think you can find ill-mannered people dressed in shorts or tuxes or capris.

Just by Carnival changing its dress code doesn't mean well-mannered people will suddenly become ill-mannered just because they can now wear dress shorts in the dining room. Just because someone decides to wear a nice pair of jeans instead of capris doesn't make them sloppy.

Just my opinion but people can be sloppy in an ill-fitting suit that hasn't been cleaned recently, or a wrinkled, faded polo shirt, or torn jeans and an old t-shirt. It has been my experience that sloppy people will be sloppy in whatever they choose to wear.

I also think you can find ill-mannered people dressed in shorts or tuxes or capris.

Just by Carnival changing its dress code doesn't mean well-mannered people will suddenly become ill-mannered just because they can now wear dress shorts in the dining room. Just because someone decides to wear a nice pair of jeans instead of capris doesn't make them sloppy.

Well said! :)

Archived