Food on Russian River Cruises

p598738

I'm looking at one and food is very important to us. Can members who have cruised in the Ukraine and Russia comment on their experiences with food on these ships ? Is it other than Russian ? Comments on specific lines would be very helpful. Thanks.

Paul,

The food on The Viking Surkov was only OK. It was inconsistent with some days better than others. It was our third Viking sailing, and the food quality was significantly better on the other two sailings - Provence & China. The service was not up to Viking standards on that ship either, in my opinion. It seemed that Russia didn't measure up as far as food quality & service. TT

I was on Amadeus Tolstoy last year and the food was extremely disappointing. I had previously been to Russia (land trip) and had no problems with food on that trip and had no problems with food off of the ship on this trip. I thought the breakfasts were fine (though sometimes strange) but often skipped the lunch and dinner towards the end of the trip because the food on the ship made me sick.

Most on the ship thought the food was poor but went along with the concept that "food is poor in Russia" to justify their thoughts. They were all surprised when I said I had done a land trip previously and thought the food was fine on that trip (which was a low cost student trip so I doubt I was served the best food on that trip).

Good luck on whatever you decide. On the trip itself - I can say that I much preferred my land trip to the river cruise. We wasted a lot of time on the ship going back to the ship for lunch in St. Petersburg (probably 2.5 - 3 hours a day).

we have been on the Tolstoy two years ago. The cruise, from the crew to the sightseeing program, was outstanding and we saw a lot. The food was not as elaborate and sophisticated than what we experienced on other Amadeus Waterways European cruises. Overall it was ok. Some dishes however actually surpassed our expectations - especially soups.

We were on the Russian River cruise with Vantage in September and had very low expectations for the food. We were pleasantly surprised. The breakfasts were wonderful - buffet style with eggs, meats, cheeses, cereal, breads, fruit, yogurt and daily specialty items. Lunches and dinners were good, basic, wholesome food but certainly not gourmet. Vegetarian meals were also available. There was soup for every lunch and dinner and they were wonderful. Everyday we could choose between 2 or 3 main courses for dinner the next day. Vegetables and salads were fresh. Service was great. We sat at the same table most days so our servers - who spoke very little English - came to know our likes and dislikes and who wanted what wine with dinner. Most desserts were fruit or ice cream. There was self-serve coffee, tea, and hot chocolate available from early morning until late evening along with biscuits and cookies. I honestly don't remember any complaints about the food and no one to my knowledge got sick from anything they had on board.

Carol

We were on the GCT Rossia last Fall and thought the food was very good on the ship. We always had variety and could make special requests for special diets. One person at our table one day filled out a special request for Pizza as a joke, but the next day the chef came and talked to him and figured out how to make it and brought individual pizzas to our whole table the next day! They said it was their first time making it and they were very proud of being able to fulfill the request...it was great. We always had a beautiful salad bar at lunch, as well as served appetizers, main dish and dessert. We ate very well.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived