Family Staterooms

We are tentatively planning a family cruise for January 2009. We are a family of 5 with three young children. How does the cost of the family staterooms compare with the other staterooms in the same category (OV vs. OV, balcony vs. balcony)? I'm sure the family size is more than a regular room, but is is 150%, 175%, double?

Any information is appreciated.

This is a rough guess/answer.

We are currently booked on Rhapsody in an outside quad cabin on Deck 2 for nearly $6000 and I have requested to be waitlisted for the a family cabin so we can take a friend. They told us that it would be approximately $7000 for the cabin. I am not sure if that included all the fees,charges and taxes or not, the $6000 did.

I think it just depends on the sailing. A january cruise will be cheaper than a june-august cruise so you will probably get a pretty good price. We booked a family promenade room on the liberty in sept 2008 for our 5 kids and we booked a promenade cabin next door for us. At the time that we booked it, we paid $959.00 each for our first two kids and $399.00 each for the other three. At that time, an interior cabin that slept four would have been $639.00 each for the first two and $399 for the other two.

It would have saved us a little bit to book two interiors, but we spent a little extra just to have a room to ourselves, for the kids to have a nice big room, and for our rooms to overlook the promenade. In your case, since you are all sleeping in the family stateroom, it really with be comparable in price or maybe a tad cheaper since you are paying the 3/4 passenger rate on three people.

If you are planning on trying to book one of these, I would do it asap because sometimes they book up quickly.

There are connecting cabins that are very nice. My grown children had two connecting rooms each and the little ones were in one and the adults in the other. It worked wonderfully. They had 2 bathrooms, two tv's and two closets. You can keep the connecting door open or not. When we priced the rooms, it was more economical to get two connecting rooms rather than the family cabins.

Depending on which class of ship you are looking at, the Family Ocean View stateroom is a good choice. I believe it is available on the Voyager and Freedom class ships.

We booked one for the Mariner in May 09, and it was about $4400 total for 5 people, including taxes and fuel charge. The deck 8 cabins in this category are the best, as the layout actually has a separate bedroom area for the adults, with a large "family" room (has a couch that makes into a large bed) and a small room with a set of bunk beds.

There are pictures posted here--if the search function is working, you should be able to find them. The deck 8 cabins are #'s 8200 and 8500.

You can't get a price on this cabin type online--you have to call RCI directly, or have your TA do it. Good Luck!

Archived