currency exchange--before leaving, on HAL, or in port?

caserko

Our cruise info said that currency exchange is available for some itineraries--does anyone know if it would be on the Statendam for our Asia cruise (leaving next week)? If not, I'm looking for opinions on whether people bring multiple currencies onboard (exchange at home) or wait until arrival in ports? We'll need four different currencies for our trip and are wondering about the best method.

Thanks!

It really depends on how much money you wish to convert. I cannot speak to Asian cruises, but our cruise ship experiences so far indicate that that the currency exchange rates on board ship are very poor. You can usually do much better when you are off the ship. Beware-some currency exchange places may have a good rate...but then they tack on a $5. admin fee that can really push up the rate if you are not exchanging much.

You can usually get currency for the port you're in from the front desk, especially if it's a repeated cruise. One time stops, though, are more "iffy". Still, you pay a bad exchange rate on the ship. Best to use an ATM in the port city.

We always bring currency for whichever country we're flying in to so that we can get a drink or snack in the airport, use a taxi, etc. But we find that ATMs are available all over the place.

We sometimes plan ahead and list out likely ATMs (your bank, your ATM network, VISA, etc. all have listings on their web sites) especially those which cooperate with our bank (and thus have lower fees).

Watch those ATM’s too. (especially if your kinda cheap like me:o ). Check with your bank on fees. I was in the EU last month, My bank charged a % fee on top of the exchange rate and atm fee. They didn’t used to, and I didn’t check before going. It wasn’t too bad, like $20 for 600 euros, but such as banks….:rolleyes:

If you take a ship tour, you may not even need to exchange. Have a great cruise.:cool:

Mark….

My AAA club has a better rate for currency purchases then either of the banks I deal with for euros. They charge $100, nothing if you get $1000 worth of currency. My banks had fees of $18 and $30, regardless of the amount bought. The exchange rate is probably a bit higher than what we get from an ATM in Europe though.

Watch those ATM’s too. (especially if your kinda cheap like me:o ). Check with your bank on fees. I was in the EU last month, My bank charged a % fee on top of the exchange rate and atm fee. They didn’t used to, and I didn’t check before going. It wasn’t too bad, like $20 for 600 euros, but such as banks….:rolleyes:

I wonder how that total charge would compare with just exchanging $$$ on the ship, then? Especially when you factor in your time to get to an ATM?

Might be cost-effective to use the money-changers at the Front Desk.

I wonder how that total charge would compare with just exchanging $$$ on the ship, then? Especially when you factor in your time to get to an ATM?

But remember that the desk (as well as Hotel desks and bank counters) use different exchange rates in addition to the difference in fees - finding an ATM is almost always a better deal.

We always use ATM's.

You should be aware that there is a lucrative business placing fake machines around with the sole purpose of getting the necessary information to raid your bank account.

We look for ATM's installed in banks and if possible, use them while the bank is open (regular banking hours).

Also, some machines will just take your card and not give it back. (thats why we use the machines when the bank is open - they can return your card almost immediately) This happened to us twice in Europe. (this will not likely happen to you, we have been living abroad for many years and it was just the law of averages that caught up with us I suppose)

Its a good idea to have cards from a couple of bank accounts on hand, or for you and your spouse to both bring yours along in case one gets "gobbled up".

On a more personal note, I would like to thank you for understanding that the US dollar is not universal currency, or even legal tender outside of the

United States. It is a much appreciated sign of respect to pay for purchases in the coin of the realm - whatever the realm happens to be at the time.

Smooth sailing to you

We find the ATM have the best rates. They are easy if you will be in and about town.... for instance if you walk into town off the ship or are on a tour that drops you off for some shopping time. We also hit the airport ATMs as soon as we arrive for taxi, tip, lunch, ??? money

The ship will have a lousy exchange rate and charge a fee on top. It might be the most convenient but it will also be the most expensive.

We use bank ATM's wherever we go. The service fees are less.

We heard, on the Statendam in February, that they ran out of both Australian and NZ dollars at the front desk.

If you are using local guides they will find a bank ATM for you.

Archived