Don't sail the Millennium if....

Tos

Hi,:) I sailed GALAXY while you were on Millennium.

We were offered the fresh pepper every evening for soups,

salads and entrees.

They didn't bring the dessert tray but until this thread

I totally forgot about it.

We were offered fresh pepper and the dessert tray (I believe 3 out of 5 nights) on Century. One night we had birthday cake and another the "Baked Alaska" (it was not traditional baked Alaska but ice cream...but tasted good)

I was on the Feb 24 sailing.

We had a Cat 4 Oceanview on deck 8.

Our bathroom was spotless.

The waiter brought out the pepper grinder every time and presented the dessert tray every evening.

Even though I find CEL too formal for me, I thought everything about the cruise was just fine.

Cruisingly Yours

Jade13: You're right about the Hurtigruten being one of our favorites as it far exceeded our expectations in all areas. The problem with X was that it didn't meet our expectations based on everything we had heard and read.

If you read my review comparing X and RCI, you'll see that I had things on X that were better than RCI and Vice Versa. Overall it was pretty much a tossup except for the maintenance issues and the buffet layout.

There was nothing bad enough that we felt we had to complain about it.

Jade13: You're right about the Hurtigruten being one of our favorites as it far exceeded our expectations in all areas. The problem with X was that it didn't meet our expectations based on everything we had heard and read.

If you read my review comparing X and RCI, you'll see that I had things on X that were better than RCI and Vice Versa. Overall it was pretty much a tossup except for the maintenance issues and the buffet layout.

There was nothing bad enough that we felt we had to complain about it.

Where is the link to your review? I can't recall if I read it. This was just bad luck I know but we had something like 11 cabin lockouts in 4.5 days (3 key cards in two cabins continually stopped working), and I was the one stuck going to Guest Relations to get new cards made. They never really apologized which in itself would have gone a long way.

None of the ships in the Celebrity fleet offers a dinner buffet, per se. In addition to the pasta you mentioned, there should have been a pizza station and a sushi station. Also, the grill and the aquaspa would be open during part of the dinner time frame (till 7:00 or 8:00). Also, there is a casual-dining option (a sit-down meal with waiter service, but with more varied seating times than the main restaurant). Finally, there is room service, and you can order from the menu of the dining room.

I'm sorry that you were not informed of the lack of a dinner buffet prior to sailing. I am a bit of a maniac about getting this information out there - and particularly about correcting people when they mention a dinner "buffet" on Celebrity - because I don't want anybody else to be misled and disappointed as you were.

Thanks for the info Drew B....but it is kind of weird they do not do some type of dinner buffet, I'm not a sushi person, and pasta station can get old very fast, especially when it is always there for lunch also. The alternate sit-down is "ok" but you have to pay an add'l gratuity for that....and room service was very slow and limited menu, my feeling is for being Celebrity and touting their food and service you'd think they would offer a dinner buffet, heck Carnival does. Ahh well enough complaining, overall it was a more positive cruise then negative cruise!

my feeling is for being Celebrity and touting their food and service you'd think they would offer a dinner buffet, heck Carnival does.

I think that is exactly the reason why they DON'T offer the dinner buffet. They try to position themselves as a more elegant alternative in cruising. There is very little that is LESS elegant than a buffet. IMO, it's pretty much equivalent to cafeteria food. Maybe fast food is lower on the elegance scale, but not by much... ;)

There's nothing wrong with liking a buffet, but that is why there are choices in cruising...

and room service was very slow and limited menu,

At dinner time, you can get the entire menu from the dining room served to you via room service. If not for this board, I wouldn't know that, though. They don't exactly publicize it well....

that is very true Drew B...Celebrity was not very forthcoming what could and could not be done on the cruise. After my in-laws complained about what should be getting/not getting for a concierge class room they were given a small card with all the services they should be receiving, it is quite longer than what is online...and I know our room attendant didnt even do half of these...I can only imagine if all these service were done each time how much better reviews celebrity would be receiving.

Thanks! I enjoy your reviews and like your writing style. I was not aware you had been on so many RCCL cruises.

Our favorite cruise was on the Santa Cruz in the Galapagos.

Btw, my Mom and her girlfriends (age 70) will be on the Liberty of the Seas this month. Do they have anything like the aqua Spa Cafe on Celebrity (Century)? Any other tips for them? I can't imagine they will like such a large ship but it was recommended since it is new.

Jade: Nothing like the aquaspa cafe. There's generally a varity of healthy food in Jade and the Windjammer. Just look at all the stations to see what's available.

Depends on their expectations whether they'll like it or not. Since I don't know what they like to do, it's hard to tell. There's always bingo. There's a nice wine place on the promenade. They have ballroom dancing at times. The ice show is great and the shows are generally pretty good.

It generally comes down to if you want to have a good time you will. If you want to find things wrong, you will.

I hope she likes it and they all have a great time. Just don't predispose them to think it's too big and not for them.

Glad you like the reviews. I try to be objective and keep a balance.

My in-laws sailed with us on Freedom of the Seas and loved the food; they are late seventies and early eighties....if this helps you any. The only thing we didn't like about Freedom of the Seas, the sister ship of Liberty of the Seas, was the bombardment of announcements. Other than that there were things onboard for all age groups.

I love to read comments either positive or negative. It gives us all a balance when choosing a cruise line or particular ship.

Millie is cruising down under to visit our corner of the world later in the year and the cruises down here on Millie are very expensive. I wouldn't want to pay big dollars and experience some of the problems on Millie that I've read on this thread.

Regarding the service on board. Does anyone agree with me that prepaid gratiuties somehow take away that extra inch the crew will give you? I feel that a good job done deserves a tip but not a calculated prepaid tip. Maybe if everyone tipped at the end of the cruise based on the service they've received we might all experience improved service from the crew.

Jillybean:)

We were also on the 3/23 sailing and noticed none of the OP's observations. The bathroom was very clean, the carpet was clean and dry, everything worked. We were in several of the hot tubs at different times and they all worked and were warm. You do have to push the button to get the bubbles you know?

The food was the best we've had on a cruise! The new menu is sure to please! I was disappointed that they don't do the dessert tray anymore, we were told they just started that on this cruise but it sure didn't ruin my vacation! The unruly children were probably the biggest complaint I have, however this is Celebrity's "Most Kids Onboard" cruise of the year so I should have planned better.

Btw, my Mom and her girlfriends (age 70) will be on the Liberty of the Seas this month. Do they have anything like the aqua Spa Cafe on Celebrity (Century)? Any other tips for them? I can't imagine they will like such a large ship but it was recommended since it is new.

I have been on LOS and she is a pretty ship though far too large and internalized (Promenade feels like a mall/convention hotel) for my taste.

Nothing like Aquaspa and I did not find much to eat in the WJ that was "healthy". Even the salad bar had lots of prepared salads heavy on the fat. Dining room food was ok, nothing special IMO.

They will probably enjoy the Solarium pool as it is not so noisy - adults only - and they should definitely book Portofino for a couple of nights and Chops as well.

When we cruise RCI we stick to specialty restaurants exclusively and dine after 8 when it is adult only. We prefer the food, service and ambiance.

Also, the Champagne Bar is our preference for a before dinner drink. They have a pretty wine bar but the choices by the glass are pretty limited.

My favorite thing about LOS was the gym, sauna and steam areas, all top notch.

Back OT, I agree that Celebrity has a real issue with maintenance and does not keep their ships up to standards one would expect for the price point and the "Premium" label they tout. I have been on many RCI ships far older than some of the X ships I have cruised and they are in much better shape.

I agree that Celebrity has a real issue with maintenance and does not keep their ships up to standards one would expect for the price point and the "Premium" label they tout.

I don't agree with that. I havent found the ships to be in such disrepair as is widely reported. In addition, I know I see ongoing maintenance taking place during a cruise. In my 3 most recent epxeriences on 2 different Celebrity ships (Constellation, Mercury). I would not say the ships are falling apart as some may claim.

DARN! those klingons!...:D

"That sagging old rust bucket is designed like a garbage scow"

"Laddie... don't you think you should... rephrase that?"

"Yehhhr right, ah shooold. I didn't mean to say the <pick you ship here> should be hauling garbage, I meant to say that it should be hauled away AS garbage!!!!"

-- From 'The Trouble With Tribbles"

I don't agree with that. I havent found the ships to be in such disrepair as is widely reported. In addition, I know I see ongoing maintenance taking place during a cruise. In my 3 most recent epxeriences on 2 different Celebrity ships (Constellation, Mercury). I would not say the ships are falling apart as some may claim.

"Yehhhr right, ah shooold. I didn't mean to say the <pick you ship here> should be hauling garbage, I meant to say that it should be hauled away AS garbage!!!!"

Live long and prosper!;)

Denise

I have been on LOS and she is a pretty ship though far too large and internalized (Promenade feels like a mall/convention hotel) for my taste.

Nothing like Aquaspa and I did not find much to eat in the WJ that was "healthy". Even the salad bar had lots of prepared salads heavy on the fat. Dining room food was ok, nothing special IMO.

They will probably enjoy the Solarium pool as it is not so noisy - adults only - and they should definitely book Portofino for a couple of nights and Chops as well.

When we cruise RCI we stick to specialty restaurants exclusively and dine after 8 when it is adult only. We prefer the food, service and ambiance.

Also, the Champagne Bar is our preference for a before dinner drink. They have a pretty wine bar but the choices by the glass are pretty limited.

My favorite thing about LOS was the gym, sauna and steam areas, all top notch.

Back OT, I agree that Celebrity has a real issue with maintenance and does not keep their ships up to standards one would expect for the price point and the "Premium" label they tout. I have been on many RCI ships far older than some of the X ships I have cruised and they are in much better shape.

Thanks for the tips. I will recommend they try a specialty restuarant, the gym, suana and steam area (is it extra pay?) and the Solarium pool.

I trust your judgement based on your reviews (HAl and Century) being close to my experiances

My in-laws sailed with us on Freedom of the Seas and loved the food; they are late seventies and early eighties....if this helps you any. The only thing we didn't like about Freedom of the Seas, the sister ship of Liberty of the Seas, was the bombardment of announcements. Other than that there were things onboard for all age groups.

Thanks! this group has been friends since at least age 12 and they always have a good time.

Jade: Nothing like the aquaspa cafe. There's generally a varity of healthy food in Jade and the Windjammer. Just look at all the stations to see what's available.

Depends on their expectations whether they'll like it or not. Since I don't know what they like to do, it's hard to tell. There's always bingo. There's a nice wine place on the promenade. They have ballroom dancing at times. The ice show is great and the shows are generally pretty good.

It generally comes down to if you want to have a good time you will. If you want to find things wrong, you will.

I hope she likes it and they all have a great time. Just don't predispose them to think it's too big and not for them.

Glad you like the reviews. I try to be objective and keep a balance.

Thanks. I will tell them to book the ice show (Is it hard to get tickets) and look at the Jade and Windjammer (I assume for lunches?).

I love to read comments either positive or negative. It gives us all a balance when choosing a cruise line or particular ship.

Millie is cruising down under to visit our corner of the world later in the year and the cruises down here on Millie are very expensive. I wouldn't want to pay big dollars and experience some of the problems on Millie that I've read on this thread.

Regarding the service on board. Does anyone agree with me that prepaid gratiuties somehow take away that extra inch the crew will give you? I feel that a good job done deserves a tip but not a calculated prepaid tip. Maybe if everyone tipped at the end of the cruise based on the service they've received we might all experience improved service from the crew.

Hi Gold Coast Cruisers :)

That is an interesting question.

A few years ago I went to an all inclusive spa resort where all tips were included in the package price.

In fact, if you tried to give an extra tip to anyone, even the valet who got your car, they would not accept them because it was against the rules.

The rationale the spa gave is that a spa is suppose to be a relaxing vacation, without any stress, and when people have to decide what is an appropriate tip, that can create stress.

Since all tips were included, I thought that might affect the level of service, but it didn't. In fact, I have never experienced such excellent service anywhere else. I attribute that to a management that knew how to train its employees to be service oriented, because that is what was expected of them.

With this in mind, I don't think pre-paid tips should adversely affect service on a cruise, if the right message is conveyed from management.

I also have a feeling that the crew probably gain more from mandatory pre-paid tips by people who may have stiffed them than they lose from generous passengers who give a little more.

I don't think anyone said the ships were "falling apart". There were many minor maintenance issues and areas of neglect on the Millennium in January. There were also areas where everything was impeccable. As I said before, it was as if they were concentrating on the high traffic areas at the detriment of other areas. That would be the logical thing to do if there wasn't enough staff to keep up with everything.

Based on some comments by folks I've talked to in C&A at RCI, the revenue (bean counters) department is making the rules now. I assume it's the same with X. Once you give them control, areas such as maintenance, training, customer service and nice little touches and amenities seem to deteriorate or go away.

When profit becomes your diety, all things suffer.

When profit becomes your diety, all things suffer.

Consider this: Isn't profit the primary goal for any company, particularly those that answer to shareholders? Not that that is always the best thing, but, it all comes down to 'the bottom line' eventually.

Consider this: Isn't profit the primary goal for any company, particularly those that answer to shareholders? Not that that is always the best thing, but, it all comes down to 'the bottom line' eventually.

You are absolutely right, profit is the primary goal of any business. However, if you p#ss off enough people with cost cutting measures, they will just look elsewhere & you will decrease profits along with the costs.

It is my understanding that the crew isn't told who has prepaid and who hasn't, so they have no idea a head of time to sway their purpose. And, in our case, even though we prepay, we still give extra to those who are deserving at the end of the cruise. There will always be those in service that go that extra mile and those that only do what they feel is needed. It's just luck of the draw as to which one you end up with. But, as some have mentioned before, you are not doing any favors to the future passengers of some stewards by not reporting their dis-service. Some just need a wake up call and others just need replacing most likely. I'm only mentioning this so as to appease those that feel they should be getting what they are paying for. Then again, it also depends on what the passenger's idea of service needed is. Some don't expect as much as others.