Alaska excursion question

2Oregonians

In Ketchikan... Potlatch Heritage Village or Totem Traditions?

Hubby will be off on a fishing excursion in Ketchikan. I originally scheduled Potlatch Heritage Village for me (44) and my parents (73 & 81), but I realized that we are only in port until 12:30 and the tour returns at 11:30. I have heard that Ketchikan is a great place to shop in port right near the ship and didn't want to miss that. I'm thinking about switching our excursion to Totem Traditions, which returns at 9:30 am.

Has anyone done either of these? Or perhaps both if you've been to Alaska more than once? Any thoughts or suggestions would be greatly appreciated! :)

You might get a better response by posting this at the Alaska Ports of Call. There is a wealth of information there.:)

I actually did that shortly after I posted here. I didn't know there WAS a ports of call forum!! After 3 weeks of reading the Princess forum, I finally discovered there was one specifically for each port. D'oh!!

We did the Totem Traditions last May on our Alaska cruise. I do recommend it as it was interesting and informative. While you might want to walk around Ketchican and window shop the best prices we found were in Skagway at an outlet store across the street from their post office. Alaska calendars 2007 for 50 cents each, 2008 for $1 each. These sold elsewhere for $7-$9 each. Hats were like $4 each. The store helped us package them up to ship home. Then we shipped them home from the post office.

As you leave Ketchican watch for Eagles. You should have a good view of them flying around their nests in and around Ketchican. It is a really nice sight. You might also see some around the water as they fish in groups.

skip it all and see the lumberjack show

I agree and would just leave it at "skip it all" at Ketchikan. I know, not a popular opinion even when we lived there. People who have read my previous posts on other threads might remember I advocate seeing Alaska on a budget. Yes, I have sometimes felt it was necessary to book some shore excursion at every port of call also. If you want to, or have to limit the money you spend on shore excursions, take one or two big ticket tours and just walk around and enjoy the sights, sounds and smells of the other great ports you will visit.

Archived