malaria in costa rico

mowog

I posted this on the costa rico port site as well , but this is my question. We are taking a RCCL cruise and will be doing the treetop and canal excursion while there. A friends doctor recommended Deet and malaria pills because of some malaria outbreaks that have occurred not in the National Park area but the tortuguera canal area. Any thoughts? I hate to use the pills because of the gi symptons they produce .

No , just a day trip. We go to Barillo National park first for an aerial tram ride then lunch and onto the canals for a boat trip. I am getting such mixed messages about the canal part of the trip and how bad the mosquitos are etc. I wouldnt fret about this so much except I recently had some surgery with affected my gi system immensly . The number one side effect of the malaria medication is gi side effects. I am trying to way the risk/ side effects for myself .

But that said thank you for your reply I was also pondering about the mosquitoes being mostly a night time occurence.

We were given a choice between two malaria medications. One was easier on the stomach than the other. We didn't notice any upsets at all. Check with your doctor. An ounce of prevention ...

And yes, we did get mosquito bites in Costa Rica and in Acapulco. Mosquitoes love me even with insect spray.

We did the canal trip earlier this month ...we used the bug repellent/deet .

Did not see any bugs but that does not mean they are not there.

I would cover up with long pants & long sleeve shirt as well.

I posted this on the costa rico port site as well , but this is my question. We are taking a RCCL cruise and will be doing the treetop and canal excursion while there. A friends doctor recommended Deet and malaria pills because of some malaria outbreaks that have occurred not in the National Park area but the tortuguera canal area. Any thoughts? I hate to use the pills because of the gi symptons they produce .

IMMHO I would follow your doctor's advice. I am sure you can get something to counteract the GI Symptoms.

banging_head.gif

After all you don't want to be knocking your head against the wall wondering why you didn't listen to your doctor.

Archived