Jewelry Stolen on NCL Star

O2Bcrusin

As everybody said, no valuables in suitcases but also consider if you are cruise only use a hard case with a combination lock and not a zipper type case, cable ties are only a deterrence and delay. A hard case is a much better defense, of course, consider this only for cruise only since likely TSA does not like this type of lock/case

Beware of checking in any luggage with jewelry. I had mine stolen out of a piece of baggage I checked in. Thank goodness I had just replaced the diamond with a cz but it was gold with four small diamonds. This was not a good way to start a cruise and was quite a hassel. The cruise line did nothing but make a report and search my room (thinking it may have fallen out). I knew that wasn't the case because I took my suitcase from the luggage cart, opened it and knew something was wrong when my jewelry case was open. I just think the cruise lines need to be aware that this sort of thing is happening at their ports. My guess is when they searched for liquor they saw the case and took advantage of the situation. There were some other fake items in there but nothing else was taken. Not sure if they have a way of knowing the real thing.

I haven't read the other responses so I may be repeating what others have said. First, I am sorry this had to happen to you, it isn't a good way to start a cruise and second, a good lesson learned, like when you fly or do any type of traveling, you are reminded not to put any valuables in the luggage that isn't with you: I bet you will keep all your jewelry with you on the next vacation and 3rd-the people working the ports are not hired by the cruise line thus I wouldn't expect the cruise line to do much, other than give you some sympathy. We lost something on the NCL transport bus one time. We too got very little satisfaction from the cruise line. We understood this.

It does amaze me when people get things stolen (which seems to happen pretty rarely) the porters are so busy I don't know where they find time to open a piece of luggage.

Nita

You should leave your good jewelry, and your sentimental jewelry at home and only take your costume pieces that you would not be heartbroken to lose. Nobody on the ship is gonna know if it's real or not anyway, or even care. My sister learned this the hard way and passed it along to me. Not that I have anything really valuable; but, I do have sentimental pieces.

Sorry for your losses.

great idea. I don't have much really valuable jewelry cause I am not a big jewelry wearer, but the little I do have I always take with me. I have yet to hear someone say "gee I love your earrings" of some such things. No one pays much attention to others and the fake stuff can look about as nice anyway, plus it is the silly costume jewelry that people seem on comment on.

Nita

I'm curious, was this put in the hallway the night before? I always get scared to put my stuff in halls as anyone can come by and snag a suitcase, go through it, replace it back in the hall and no one would know. They sit there for hours sometimes. It can actually be other passengers taking it.:eek:

I also wonder about the question at the airport about having your luggage in your possession the whole time. Surely they know that if you've been on a cruise it's been out of your possession for the last 12 hours or so.

Viv

I also wonder about the question at the airport about having your luggage in your possession the whole time. Surely they know that if you've been on a cruise it's been out of your possession for the last 12 hours or so.

Viv

The airport personnel are not allowed to ask anymore - they haven't in well over a year.

To the OP - sorry for your loss, again, anything value you leave at home or carry on your person - NEVER EVER EVER pack anything valuable in your checked luggage. Most of the time, it's a hard lesson for some to learn.

Wow, the OP really dropped the ball by leaving valuables in luggage!

But aside from that, when was the last time they saw the ring? Did they fly to the port after the last time the ring was seen? Wouldn't the TSA screener be a more likely thief than a cruise ship employee? Considering that the TSA has excellent equipment to peer into luggage, and is authorized to open it.

NCL probably has much less advanced equipment, and probably could not tell a ring as clearly as at the airport. Even if they did see it, they are not authorized to open your bags.

Your suitcase was locked, wasn't it?

I'm sorry, but I have NO sympathy for the OP. While I NEVER condone theft, if you are foolish enough to put valuables in checked luggage you get what you deserve.

Never, EVER bring valuables you cannot keep in your carry-on luggage. Your checked bags can and will be opened. Homeland Security is supposed to leave a note that it's been opened, but still, it has been opened. The only time carry-on is out of your sight is when it's in the scanner.

I don't know how photographers and amateur astronomers do it anymore. Before 9/11 I packed a portable telescope, cam-corder, camera bodies and lenses in a Pelican trunk that was locked with two padlocks for the Aug 99 solar eclipse. Now I have NO idea how to transport that stuff, because I KNOW it will be opened.

I'm sorry, but I have NO sympathy for the OP. While I NEVER condone theft, if you are foolish enough to put valuables in checked luggage you get what you deserve.

While indeed a dumb mistake, no one deserves to have their stuff stolen. :eek:

I don't believe someone is actually complaining of having jewelry stolen.

Every web site of every cruise line, air line, train line, bus line and any other public transportation makes a very big deal about warning people to NOT put anything of value in checked luggage!!! To do so is jut begging to get it stolen!

Sorry for your loss but you really need to educate yourself and READ the web sites of travel lines and especially if you book travel through the internet.

I never take any of my good jewelry on vacation on a cruise ship and all of my important papers and my camera are in my purse!

Why would you replace a cz for a diamond in a valuable ring? Am I in another realm; and I don't even know exactly what that means. What did you do with the valuable diamond, put it in a 10kt setting??

The diamond fell out and I wanted a new updated setting. Instead of having an old setting just sitting around with nothing in it he put a cz in it so I could wear it when I didn't want to wear the new ring (like for traveling). And no, for your information the old diamond was put into a beautiful new platinum setting. Why such an attitude?

My suggestion is to wear your good jewelry on and off the ship. Never take it off and if you do, leave it in the safe in your cabin, but make sure to check the safe b4 u leave.

Exactly what I did. The very valuable ring was on me.

Sorry to hear about this incident but it sounds like a lesson learned. Did you go to the front desk to fill out an incident report? I know they have them. If you took out travel insurance check the policy because some cover these types of things. If not your home owners should cover it. Still does not take away from feeling violated and can really never take the place of the jewerly but at least it is something to fall back on.

Thank you for your sympathetic words (not that I am looking for sympathy). I am amazed at how mean, sarcastic and degrading some people can be on these posts. Yes I did go immediatly to the front desk and reported it. When I got home I also called the police. I guess there is a special police department for the pier and I filled out a report with them also. The police officer told me that the ship people should have notified them or told me to notify them right away instead of just doing their own security check. I guess that is a standard procedure that NCL didn't bother to tell me about.

Wow, the OP really dropped the ball by leaving valuables in luggage!

But aside from that, when was the last time they saw the ring? Did they fly to the port after the last time the ring was seen? Wouldn't the TSA screener be a more likely thief than a cruise ship employee? Considering that the TSA has excellent equipment to peer into luggage, and is authorized to open it.

NCL probably has much less advanced equipment, and probably could not tell a ring as clearly as at the airport. Even if they did see it, they are not authorized to open your bags.

Your suitcase was locked, wasn't it?

Didn't do any flying. Left if with porter and took it off the baggage rack as it came down the hall.

I don't believe someone is actually complaining of having jewelry stolen.

Every web site of every cruise line, air line, train line, bus line and any other public transportation makes a very big deal about warning people to NOT put anything of value in checked luggage!!! To do so is jut begging to get it stolen!

Sorry for your loss but you really need to educate yourself and READ the web sites of travel lines and especially if you book travel through the internet.

I never take any of my good jewelry on vacation on a cruise ship and all of my important papers and my camera are in my purse!

I am not complaining just trying to make people aware so as not to make the same mistake I did. I have never done this before and like another poster stated, was in a hurry and at the last minute decided to check in this piece of luggage not realizing that one valuable ring was in with the rest of the non valuable jewelry. I am educated, have traveled a lot and just made a mistake. I have never had this happen before.

I am not complaining just trying to make people aware so as not to make the same mistake I did. I have never done this before and like another poster stated, was in a hurry and at the last minute decided to check in this piece of luggage not realizing that one valuable ring was in with the rest of the non valuable jewelry. I am educated, have traveled a lot and just made a mistake. I have never had this happen before.

I do know how you feel: when in Hong Kong several years ago we were up on the peak waiting for our bus. I was talking to DH when I just felt my purse was not heavy enough; I don't know why cause I really don't carry a lot in it. anyway I checked and sure enough someone decided my wallet was more important to them than to me. It was our first day of a 15 day trip and here I am, no wallet, no CC, no ID, etc, not to mention cash I had. I was beside myself. Of course the Hong Kong police were as helpful as a fly would have been. I learned a lesson; in my case, pay attention and make sure your purse is completely zipped up and secure. In your case you have learned one as well. I only have one complaint about what you are saying, I do think you are trying to warn others, but from your original comment and one just a few responses ago you are holding NCL responsible for not responding better. Think about it this way, what would have been the chances the ring would have been found regardless? Not one in a million and my guess is every line would have handled this particular situation about the same.

Nita

I have a little saying that I recite to myself for remembering what to always have packed in my carryon:

3M's and CJ2P's - Money, medicine, makeup, camera, jewelry, passports and panties (extra pair or two in case my suitcases get "lost")

While indeed a dumb mistake, no one deserves to have their stuff stolen. :eek:

Perhaps I was a bit harsh. While nobody deserves to be robbed, the OP might as well have posted a sign saying: "Steal my stuff."

ANYTHING in checked luggage is at risk, even when you drive to the port and check it there. Remember: strangers out of your sight will be subjected to the temptation to steal your valuables. They can open your bags with impunity and you'll never know if it was Homeland Security or a baggage handler. The answer is not to have attractive valuables available to them.

Therefore, you must carry it with you, so you want to minimize the size and weight. This is why I've gone from carrying a 35mm SLR camera to a tiny digital as small as a bridge deck of cards. My laptop has gone from an 8-10 lb monstrosity to a 2.8lb micro-notebook. Binoculars have gone from full size 7x50 to tiny, tiny 6x20s that are as small as the digital camera.

Jewelery is small. Carry it with you as you travel.

I usually wear the only good jewelry I have. Most of what was in that case was just costume jewelry thank goodness. I had gotten a new ring and my jeweler said he would replace a diamond I had taken out with a CZ. I guess it fooled the theif. The only thing was that it was gold with a couple of small diamonds.

I had diamond and opal earrings that went missing while on a cruise. Just for your information...You home owners insurance will cover your lose....at least mine did. I called and told them, that the earrings were stolen and they sent me a check and I replaced the earrings. (I know some things can't be replaced, but it's a help anyway.) :)

I have a little saying that I recite to myself for remembering what to always have packed in my carryon:

3M's and CJ2P's - Money, medicine, makeup, camera, jewelry, passports and panties (extra pair or two in case my suitcases get "lost")

Very good advice.

I used to bring much of my good jewelry on our cruises (I did always put it in my carry on). I have an allergy to nickle, so I didnt have costume jewelry.

But now, Walmart has a pretty extensive line of nickle-free jewelry that looks good and is very inexpensive! So other than my wedding band and watch which I always wear, I bring along my Walmart baubles and I dont have to worry about losing my good stuff! :D

The diamond fell out and I wanted a new updated setting. Instead of having an old setting just sitting around with nothing in it he put a cz in it so I could wear it when I didn't want to wear the new ring (like for traveling). And no, for your information the old diamond was put into a beautiful new platinum setting. Why such an attitude?

I, too, am sorry for your lose. Sometimes we have to learn the hard way...I know I have.

As far as the "attitude" that seems to be fairly common on these boards. :mad: I just ignore them, knowing that there are probably many more nice people on here. Some people are just perfect, have never made a mistake and have to present their "holier than thou" attutudes for all of us to observe and so that we can just be in awe of their supreme intellect! :rolleyes:

Perhaps I was a bit harsh. While nobody deserves to be robbed, the OP might as well have posted a sign saying: "Steal my stuff."

How does packing a ring in a suitcase set up any obvious signs.....or posted a sign as you put it?

I, too, am sorry that the OP had items stolen. On the positive, it sounds like many people are being reminded not to trust their valuables in a suitcase that leaves their site.

I fly on business frequently and have learned to always keep any valuables with me at all times. Most important would be any medicines that you require (including the original prescription number). Also important is the keep a written inventory of your items with you so that you know what you have with you. That inventory should include all numbers (like your passport # if you carry it) and the phone numbers to contact if lost. I recently lost my billfold but I had my list so I could quickly cancel everything. Plastic ties can be helpful to secure luggage but make sure you can remove them when you need to. Carrying wire cutters or pocket knives is not always possible.

Finally, a cruise is a great vacation. For my vacation enjoyment, dressing to impress is not needed (I realize that for some, it is). So, I rarely take anything of value with me.

I had diamond and opal earrings that went missing while on a cruise. Just for your information...You home owners insurance will cover your lose....at least mine did. I called and told them, that the earrings were stolen and they sent me a check and I replaced the earrings. (I know some things can't be replaced, but it's a help anyway.) :)

I did call my homeowners insurance. Unfortunately my deductible is quite high - I may get something but not much.

Archived