camp carnival questions, please!

virginia600

Hello everyone,

It is time for the family cruise and this time my 2 year old Grandson will be joining us. For those who have used Camp Carnival, any thoughts? suggestions? All comments either positive or negative will be appreciated. We have cruised before with him, but he was too young before, so we thought we would consider using it this time, since he is old enough.

Many thanks,

Susan

Hi Susan. Does your grandson go to daycare or preschool? If he does, he will probably have a ball at Camp Carnival. If he is used to being with mom and dad all the time, he may not like it. We went on the Glory last November, when my daughter was 21 months old. She was too young for the regular program and wanted no part of the nighttime babysitting (even with her two older cousins there), as she was used to being home with me all the time. Audrey started in preschool at 2 years old and she is really looking forward to "going to Camp" on our cruise. Hubby and I can't wait, as we get so little alone time without the kids. BTW, I think they will even change diapers in Camp Carnival, in case he is not potty trained. Fortunately for us, that won't be a problem, as my daughter just potty trained over the past couple of weeks (Yeah!!!!). Have a great time on your cruise.

Joanne :)

Hello. I can give you my very recent experience.

My DH and I took our 2 year old twins on our first cruise recently, because we believed all of the comments that children love Camp Carnival. Our children have been in daycare since they were 4 months old and have had very little, to no, separation anxiety. We brought them to the camp when we first entered the ship, and let them play, meet the counselors, and we registered them. They appeared to enjoy themselves.

The next day we decided to try to put them in Camp for an hour or two so that we could have some alone time, which has been very rare in the last 2 years! We were given a beeper, and before we returned to the cabin (a 3 minute walk) the beeper went off, and we were told that the twins were "hysterical", and we'd better come quick. They were right.

We tried two other times, and made sure that Daddy brought them and slowly eased his way out of the room, because he drops them off at daycare daily. Again, we were beeped.

The counselors didn't appear to know how to handle a frantic child. There were 2 other parents of 2 year olds in the same boat as we were. Their children were frantic, also. I must say that the older children in the group, the 4 & 5 year olds, seemed to be having fun because they are more mature, and can play independently, which they seemed to expect 2 year olds to do.

Bottom line, I think that you should try it, but don't assume it will work, and plan accordingly. Unfortunately, we don't have a grandmother or anyone to bring along who could've helped us, so the dreams of having a romantic cruise with some alone time were not realized. Maybe we'll try again in a few years.

Just remember that the counselors are not babysitters... they basically oversee activities... they will not be able to cater to your toddler alone and sometimes at that age, toddlers have a hard time entertaining themselves... They do have a "paid" babysitting service you may want to look into, but I don't think I would count on being able to drop off Jr. at Camp Carnival and have him stay all day with no trouble... it is just such a young age to leave a child in "camp"... I think he would enjoy it and some of the activities at an older age, but 2 is tough... good luck and have fun...

http://community.webshots.com/photo/93847874/93853128svWgyq

http://community.webshots.com/photo/61948840/61949280oNaXwN

scroll down to where it says view full size and you should be able to read it. Maybe find some activities your child may like. (I dont think parents are allowed to stay there with them either.)

The only "paid" babysitting service is slumber party style babysitting in the Camp, from 10:00pm to 3:00am. I couldn't imagine bringing a sleeping child (assuming a 2 year old is asleep at 10:00pm) into the Camp, where the older kids are watching movies, etc. There is no in cabin babysitting available.

My youngest child was just barely 3 years old when she went on her first cruise. She is very outgoing and friendly, so we thought "camp carnival" would be a blast for her. Unfortunately, when we tried to drop her off the first day, she panicked, started crying, and wouldn't allow us to leave.:( We didn't mind taking her along with us and told her going to "camp carnival" was up to her. Our older child wanted to stay, so we left her there. Well, that night, the older one bragged about all of the fun stuff she did in "camp carnival" and had her little sister green with envy. What really got the little one jealous was that her older sibling got her face painted like a pirate and went on a treasure hunt. So the next day, she said she definitely wanted to try out "camp carnival," but she insisted on one thing. Her older sister had to be with her. Fortunately, kids in the older age groups can step down to a younger age group if they want to. So our older child obliged us and the rest is cruising history!:) Our kids are now thoroughly hooked on "camp carnival" and cruising in general.

I think the major problem with little ones around 2 or 3 is that they are afraid of being by themselves without at least one familiar face nearby. They may go to daycare back home, but they go to that daycare every day and have friends there. The first day they went to the daycare, they probably cried. It is the same with "camp carnival." They will probably be afraid and tearful in the beginning just because they don't know anyone and it's a new place that is foreign to them.

My suggestion is to either try to bring along another grandchild that is older who would make him more comfortable in the kids area. Or you could try to help him make friends with some of the other kids on board and then maybe he would want to be in "camp carnival" to be near his new friends. Or, you could be really lucky and he may go right in and be perfectly happy. I don't think the question here is whether or not he will have fun in "camp carnival." It's whether or not he will go in and give it a try.

Camp Carnival has an outside play area that includes playground equipment, a jungle gym, mini basketball hoops, and a wading pool. The inside area of "camp carnival" has a video wall with cartoons playing and there are fun activities for little ones like finger painting. My kids love "camp carnival" and I'm sure your grandson will too, if he gives it a try.:D

CC is great. But no, I dont think they change diapers. I think they beep u when its time for a change. Mine loved it so much at 5. she said it was MUCH better than her daycare/preschool at home LOL We had to drag her out everyday. At the babysitting at night, they watch movies and order cookies and brownies with milk and she LOVED that! She made alot of friends! She is an only child and ANYTIME she gets a chance to play with other children she is all for it.

Susan

CC is great. But no' date=' I dont think they change diapers. I think they beep u when its time for a change. [/quote']

We just came back from the 15 day Panama Canal Cruise with the two year-old grand daughter. Yes, the do change them. You have to bring the diapers and stuff with you when you drop them off. My granddaughter was sorta trained. She had a couple accidents. They were really good with her. Grace goes to a "day care" while her mother works out. So, it is very simalar to camp carnival. Different kids are coming and going at different times. She really liked it. She did try to make her dad feel bad, the workers verified she was fine five minuites after he left.

From what I have learned as a mother and in child development class, two year olds are independent players. They will play side by side with other childern. But they don't interact like 4 and 5 year old. She found a couple of toy like the ones she had at home and away she went. Just take your grandson up the first day and show him all the great toys and workers. The worst that can happen is he dosen't like it. You won't know if you don't try it:)

Hi Everyone-

Thank you for all the suggestions. My Grandson is 2, so we will play it by ear. He is very active and an extrovert. (just like my son) So we will give it a try with no exact expectations.

Thanks again,

Susan

Archived