Luggage dropped into water

lisad63

As my son's luggage was being taken from Miracle to the pier Sunday, it fell into the water! When we could not locate his bag in the numbered areas, we discovered it off to a side wall inside a black garbage bag. One of the porters asked if something inside was leaking. When we opened the bag, his luggage and its contents were soaked and dripping with salt water. Nasty!

Has anyone else had this happen, or are we just incredibly unlucky?

As my son's luggage was being taken from Miracle to the pier Sunday, it fell into the water! When we could not locate his bag in the numbered areas, we discovered it off to a side wall inside a black garbage bag. One of the porters asked if something inside was leaking. When we opened the bag, his luggage and its contents were soaked and dripping with salt water. Nasty!

Unlucky. Kind of hard to imagine how they were able to fish the bag out of the water?

I hope Carnival at least offered to launder the clothes for free. I had a suitcase leak once when it was pulled off the airplane in a downpour. The die from the dark colored suitcase got all over my cream colored formal dress.:mad:

I was on this same ship in January and they really did a job on my luggage, as I had to replace it. I feel that Carnival should take a serious look at the way our luggage is handled by their personeel, as it appears it is their employees are extremely careless at this port (and I am sure all of the other ports). They should be held fully responsible for this luggage as it is most likely Carnival personnel responsible for this "accident".... This has become an issue with me because on my last two cruises out of Ft. Lauderdale my luggage has been damaged unrepairable.

We once sailed with a couple whose luggage was dropped into the water BEFORE it was loaded onto the ship. Their luggage was red, so everything in there had been stained pink or red. Carnival offered to wash all of their things, since this happened as they were loading it onto the ship. Don't know what happened after that. We didn't see them again.

I am probably wrong, but I don't think the dock workers are employees of Carnival. They are longshoreman and are independent of the ships they unload and load. I can see where Carnival might offer to launder the contents or some other gesture, but it really was not their problem.

I hope Carnival at least offered to launder the clothes for free. I had a suitcase leak once when it was pulled off the airplane in a downpour. The die from the dark colored suitcase got all over my cream colored formal dress.:mad:

Oops! I just reread the op's post and see that it was AFTER the cruise so I don't suppose they could launder the clothes. Hope they offered SOMETHING tho.

Last year on the Glory my DW's luggage somehow got soaking wet. When we opened the luggage to put the clothes away we dicovered just about all of her clothes were wet and the suitcase had bled dye on her clothes as well. We instantly called the pursers desk, they had the steward come by. He took the whole suitcase with him. Carnival had all of her clothes dry cleaned at no charge and even dry cleaned her suitcase.

I sure don't need to deal with crap like this at the beginning or end of a cruise. I wouldn't want idiots like this touching my stuff.

So if we have a rollerboard and one other bag that attaches to the bigger suitcase, can we just take our luggage on board?

Just a head's up for future cruisers, when I first heard that TSA was opening suitcases, I got plastic see-through bags and put all my clothes inside so that they could look at them and not touch them (I hope). I had heard stories about people finding dirt streaks on clothing after their bags were opened.

We use zipped hardsided suitcases, and one trip back I thought I had spilled something inside a case because the interior was stained when we got home. Nope, apparently the suitcase had sat outside in the rain, and rain had leaked through the zipper. But everything inside was dry because it was all in plastic bags.

I then used a spray to try to waterproof the zippers, and it either worked or we haven't encounted rain since :)

btw...did you file a claim BEFORE you left the terminal. this is impt. they aren't gonna squat if you didn't.

I sure don't need to deal with crap like this at the beginning or end of a cruise. I wouldn't want idiots like this touching my stuff.

So if we have a rollerboard and one other bag that attaches to the bigger suitcase, can we just take our luggage on board?

Not unless it's small enough to fit thru the scanners. I don't know the size off hand but I think it's about the size of a typical carry on.

I can handle waiting for the luggage, or it being misplaced onboard the ship for a couple of hours, but it just boggles my imagination that these idiots are dropping suitcases in the water. That is just the most basic thing . . . get the bags on and off the ship without dropping things in the water.

I watched a crew loading luggage onto the ship in Galveston and they dumped several pieces into the water. One of the carts filled with luggage rolled to the edge of the pier and hit a curb causing 5 or 6 pieces to slide off. You know that someone had to be PO'd.

Thats pretty bad, I guess you can write off the luggage at that point, I would for sure. Not sure where you are at in this process but here is the address and phone number to try and get this resolved:

Guest Relations

Carnival Cruise Lines

Carnival Place

3655 NW 87 Avenue

Miami, Fl. 33178-2428

305-599-2600

Fred

I never thought about this before, but does luggage float? How much time does one have to get it before it sinks? How much luggage just sinks and goes away and no one says a thing about the loss? Can someone purchase a waterproof floating suitcase? Maybe I will pack everything in a Coleman cooler!

This is why a love CC, just when you think you see it all, someone comes along with a whole new topic.

Ok , that is a nightmare. Last cruise out of Ft. Lauderdale when we got back they really smashed up one of our suitcases, completely ripped off a handle and the ID tag that was hooked with a metal ring, they really had to pull on it to get it to come apart, we were lucky that we had colorful bandanas tied to it a couple places, so we could ID it. I have seen how they handle the luggage and it makes me cringe, you would think that even if they are not employed by the cruise lines that they could strongly encourage them to be more careful. I didn't even file a claim , I didn't want to deal with all the paperwork and crap. Feel bad for people whoes bags go in the drink , Yuk.

Cori

Not unless it's small enough to fit thru the scanners. I don't know the size off hand but I think it's about the size of a typical carry on.

When we sailed on the Fascination a couple of weeks ago we carried our luggage on. I don't like handing my luggage over to anybody. I had researched how big it could be according to Carnival which is 24" x 16". I found a bag that was the perfect size and took two of them for all 4 of us in addition to 2 small matching duffel bags that came with the larger bag.

When I got to the Port of Miami I got a bit of attitude from the police officer working at the door of the port. She said something like "Give those to the porters outside." And I said, "No, I want to carry them on." Then she said, "They are too big for the machines." And I said "No, not according to Carnival's regulations. They are the exact same size." Then she said, "I don't care what they say. If they don't fit they don't fit." By now, I was a bit aggrivated. So I said, "Would you like to see the documentation? I printed it out." She said something stupid like "Did I say to show me something?" By now I am like lady, what is your problem? But of course I didn't say that. Finally she said "just go ahead" with quite the attitude.

Funny thing is the whole time I could see the scanner and it was huge, not small at all so I knew it would fit. Sure enough, it fit. You could have probably put 2 in of the same size at the same time. Don't know what her problem was but I think she needed the vacation worse than I did, lol!

Point is, if you take something 24" or smaller in length you should be fine. Just check with your cruise line to be sure and PRINT OUT the paperwork in case you get a lunatic like mine.

I never thought about this before, but does luggage float? How much time does one have to get it before it sinks? How much luggage just sinks and goes away and no one says a thing about the loss? Can someone purchase a waterproof floating suitcase? Maybe I will pack everything in a Coleman cooler!

This is why a love CC, just when you think you see it all, someone comes along with a whole new topic.

High Serria makes a water proof luggage set. It's designed for snowboarders, surfers, and skiers. I have the set and my large duffle was caught out in a massive rain storm at the Atlanta airport. We could see our luggage sitting out in the open waiting to be loaded on the plane. My clothes was fine. My friends clothes was ruined. I don't know if it would float or not. I'm willing to say no, but you never know.

The only draw back about this set and I think the company missed the boat on this. But the 22in carry-on doesn't have wheels. It would be so great if it did. I LOVE the back pack from the set. I have carried all over Ireland and Scotland in the pouring rain with no problems of things getting wet.

Archived