What is the usual amount OBC given by TA?

des1rees

So, we have booked, on Mercury for next year, a RS and 2 CC. Per s suggestion I received on this forum, I asked the TA about OBC. He said they usually give a bon voyage gift but instead of wine, he can arrange to get us OBC's. What is a typical amount? He has been helpful, and I definitely do not want to think negatively, but we travel often ( first cruise though, however if we like it, will definitely do this again), and I want to know if he is being generous or not so. Is there a standard amount given or does it depend on the agency? Would appreciate any input.

Thanks,

D.

Our TA always looks to see if her consortium has any group perks that she can give us and if so we get usually about 100.00. If there is nothing they are offering she will usually give us out of her comission like 100.00 or sometimes prepay our tips or something. I do understand that it is totally a gift out of her pocket so I am happy for anything she gives me.

Hi,

I think it really depends on the cruise, how long it is, how well the ship is sold etc. But, for an RS and a 2 CC cabins, it should definitely be more than the cost of a bottle of wine IMHO. We have gotten between $200 - $300 OBCs or paid gratuities, and we have never had an RS, and definitely never booked 3 cabins for the same cruise.

If, however, the price of your cabins goes down before you cruise, your OBC may also be reduced somewhat. Keep your eyes open for price reductions as well as finding out about the OBC. Your agent "should" also be watching for reductions although it's pretty time consuming and he may not, but I find that I'm usually the one that lets the agency know there has been one.

There is a post entitled "Who foots the bill" last discussed yesterday on this board. First look over that info.

IF your travel agent deals in MANY cruise bookings or arranges his cruise bookings thru a large consolidator who holds OBC for the customers, you should be able to get one. We just got a $500 OBC on a cruise booked for 2009. This is on a 12 day cruise. We went thru an agency we deal with often and who we know can book thru a consolidator. She will match any offer. If your agent referred to "a bottle of wine" as a perk, probably you won't get much more than $50-$75. Of course that's better than the wine. There is no set amount. Depends on whom you book with and when and what line you are booking on. The agents will most often use OBC's to lure customers in.

Does anyone know the rationale behind why Celebrity does not permit TA's to use part of their commission to discount the price of the cruise fare itself, but allows it to be used for an on board credit gift?

Is it because the cruise line thinks that if someone has an on board credit to begin with that they will be more likely to spend more of their own money on incidentals during the cruise?

I know this could be a sensitive issue - BUT, can I ask him how much and see if he can increase it? I mean, he is booking a 14K trip for us, plus we will be using an independent excursion tour group he will be suggesting. I dont want to get something minimal...AND, I would like to use him again, but if I get this thought about him, then I won't. How can I get it through to him?

I have our T agent holding a CC cabin on the Connie for the 2009 WB TA. This is the 1st time she has said no OBC will be offered. She's a well-known TA and I don't know what's up. :( Opinions...

I would move on to a different TA. This is like price shopping. I would find another TA who offers good service AND OBC.

Go with another TA, lol mine always gives something- most do

I would move on to a different TA. This is like price shopping. I would find another TA who offers good service AND OBC.

Thanks for your responses....guess it's time to move on.

I have our T agent holding a CC cabin on the Connie for the 2009 WB TA. This is the 1st time she has said no OBC will be offered. She's a well-known TA and I don't know what's up. :( Opinions...

That particular cruise is extremely popular! If I were you I'd check other on line agents for their quotes, and if lower, see if your agent will match. If not, move your business. Make sure you compare prices with ALL fees, taxes, surcharges etc. Apples to apples. Some agents will not add tax until after you agree to the sale. Get everything in their quotes in writing.

That particular cruise is extremely popular! If I were you I'd check other on line agents for their quotes, and if lower, see if your agent will match. If not, move your business. Make sure you compare prices with ALL fees, taxes, surcharges etc. Apples to apples. Some agents will not add tax until after you agree to the sale. Get everything in their quotes in writing.

Thank you for responding & your advice!

I have a fantastic TA who has gotten us $100 OBC and usually a tasty Bon Voyage gift as well. In addition, on our upcoming cruise, he found a last minute discount that got us close to a $2000 refund! Woohoo! :D

Does anyone know the rationale behind why Celebrity does not permit TA's to use part of their commission to discount the price of the cruise fare itself, but allows it to be used for an on board credit gift?

Is it because the cruise line thinks that if someone has an on board credit to begin with that they will be more likely to spend more of their own money on incidentals during the cruise?

A growing trend with TA's is Home Based agents. Many of these agents work from home and not for a big brick and mortar agency. Now this doesn't by any means that these people are small time business. I know several Home Based agents who do over a million in sales each year. But there are several who are small time (but just as educated). They don't want the massive job that goes along with those kind of sales. The cruise lines commission is paid on %. Those with higher sales (usually a B&M agency) get a higher commission. They would use that higher commission and rebate it back to the client. Beating the small man/women out of a sale.

The cruise lines stopped the rebating in order to try an make it a more level playing field. A lot of those bigger agencies will purchase OBC for their clients as they have the bigger money to do so. Still hurting the little man or women.

So, we have booked, on Mercury for next year, a RS and 2 CC. Per s suggestion I received on this forum, I asked the TA about OBC. He said they usually give a bon voyage gift but instead of wine, he can arrange to get us OBC's. What is a typical amount? He has been helpful, and I definitely do not want to think negatively, but we travel often ( first cruise though, however if we like it, will definitely do this again), and I want to know if he is being generous or not so. Is there a standard amount given or does it depend on the agency? Would appreciate any input.

Thanks,

D.

Usually pre-paid gratuites for a CC or higher, so about $110.00pp on a 10 night cruise.

Check some of the online TA's that advertise on this site for comparison. Btw, I have heard that TA's may be handled differently as they are likwely a very good value.

I have a fantastic TA who has gotten us $100 OBC and usually a tasty Bon Voyage gift as well. In addition, on our upcoming cruise, he found a last minute discount that got us close to a $2000 refund! Woohoo! :D

Is the discount on HAL or Celebrity. Celebrity usually only allows OBC or pre-paid gratuities with some exceptions.

Is the discount on HAL or Celebrity. Celebrity usually only allows OBC or pre-paid gratuities with some exceptions.

I'm guessing that by discount, the poster means price-drop, which X and RCL will honor.

It's a win-win for Celebrity. Probably you spend more freely knowing you have an OBC (typical consumer behavior). Obvious win.

Maybe you only spend the OBC. Say you order 9 fancy drinks at $9 each, plus tip. Celebrity's cost for the ingredients is maybe $3-5, plus their bartender's pay... which your tip helps subsidize. They are taking in $100 to pay for the OBC and only spending about $40-65. Whereas, if they allow the cruise fare to be discounted, the entire amount comes out of their pocket.

I'm guessing that by discount, the poster means price-drop, which X and RCL will honor.

It's a California Resident Discount that just went into place last Tuesday. I was surprised that we got a refund, I thought we'd only get OBC too. It was a nice surprise. :D

Archived