Favorite Part of HAL Cruises

topspot

Crossing the gangway and entering the ship. That's tops for me. While the ships differ in decor, there is still a look and feel of being home.

After that, it's sitting down to dinner that first night and meeting those we'll get to know during the cruise.

The first time I get to 'sign' for something, is always exciting! Like for that first Dutch Grolsch Beer in the Lido, having my first lunch, on the first day:D I can hardly wait...

This will be my first time on HAL over Thanksgiving. What was your favorite part, and what should I look forward to?

It's hard to identify a single "favorite part," however as a category of "favorites" I would have to identify the wonderful sea days, walking the deck, enjoying conversation with friends, meeting new friends, and seeing the beauty of God's glorious creation. I especially like going out on one of the forward observation decks and gazing upon the horizon, in the distance, and feeling the wind in my face. I call it my "Take her to Sea, Mr. Murdock" moments, with that particular selection of music from the Titanic soundtrack blowing in my iPod earbuds. :D

The planning and anticipation is a BIG PART of my "HAL EXPERIENCE". For the most part, I know exactly where we're going for the day on which island.

Onboard, it's probably setting foot on our balcony for the first time. *sighing*

Also, meeting our wonderful cabin steward, and arranging to have our dinners in our cabin each night. That's done immediately, and then it's nothing but BLISS. :)

Oh, yeah..... our "Happy Hours" in the Crow's Nest each evening. ;)

*sighing because I feel so very fortunate*

The moment the muster drill is whistled OVER and I can take of that bulky life vest, get out of the stifling crowd on the deck, and get on with my fun! :D

My real favorite moment: I particularly like being up on the lido deck or one higher, settling into a drink and waiting for sailaway. There's usually a band playing by the pool, a few eager beavers are already camped out on the hot tubs, and there's just a great electricity in the air. Plus, the view of the departure city and harbor is phenomenal ... I really like it when I sail from my own hometown of Seattle.

The tiny little lurch you feel as the ship pulls away from the dock is the absolute best!

Walking on deck regardless of the weather.

Meeting our dinner mates the first night.

Coming back to the cabin and finding it tidied perfectly.

boarding the ship, meeting the cabin personnel and Neptune lounge folks, unpacking knowing this is a positive step in preparing for the adventures that await us, and completing the fire drill which signifies the flag has dropped and we are starting the cruise officially - so let the fun begin!

harry

Hearing the chime when they scan your ship card

ahhhh that sounds good.

You know what I really enjoyed on my Hawaii/South Pacific cruise in January 2006? I had a hotel room at the Holiday Inn on the Bay in San Diego and could look right out my window at the ship I'd be boarding in a few short hours. The neat thing was that I could hear that sound ... when they come on the intercom to make an announcement ... every few minutes ... the three bells? I guess they were calling tag colors to disembark? Anyway, I was laying there on my bed ... hearing that sound ... and saying to myself "dammed shame ... those poor people are getting kicked off today." :)

Of course, one month later I knew it would be me others were saying that about. :)

Blue skies ...

--rita

RevNeal has expressed it best!!!!

I love, love the feeling, in the air: Excitement, anticipation, great expectations, smiles, drinks, food, rest, entertainment and my personal favorite.....the rarity of a clock, anywhere!!!

The feeling is contagious; everyone's got it!!!!!! :D :)

There is no one favourite part to a HAL cruise for me. In no particular order, I can't rank the following favourite parts:

- Team Trivia!! (only the players can understand the pleasure of the intense, but very friendly, competition)

- meeting some of the most interesting people in the world (passengers and crew alike)

- eating our first meal in the dining room (yes, we do the "lose before you cruise" diet)

- end of the muster drill (it doesn't feel like the cruise has started until then)

- unpacking on the ship (it feels like coming home for us)

What makes HAL cruises so special to us are the people and the food (we also like to get dressed up for dinner, but that is a different thread - pun intended)

Archived