Egypt - small denominations

Bustaty

Thank you for your help. I was hoping to have a little in pocket before I get to Egypt. We live in Canada.

small denominations (less than 5 Egyptian pounds) are hard to find outside of Egypt. a one pound note is about 20 cents US or Canadian.

Any suggestions where one can get small denominations of Egyptian money for tipping? thanks

I live in Toronto. We went to Egypt last year on Princess. I ordered small denomination Egyptian currency (not much) from my local Royal Bank branch. It took about a week but they got it for me. However you can probably get away with no Egyptian money if you wish. For tipping USD one dollar bills work fine. For buying souvenirs etc. the merchants will gladly take Euros or USD. The only place you might actually need Egyptian pounds is for admission fees to government sites, but since you will likely be with a guide at all times they can pay the admissions fees for you and then you can pay them back in USD.

..........Stan

Thank you all, I feel much better for this information. We live not too far from border and often head over a few times in summer, so will stock up on a few small U.S. bills. :)

Even US coins are welcomed (so are Euro coins), the recipiant will then try to exchange the coins for bills from other tourists.

Or why not do as some cruise passengers with their cabin or restaurant staff, instead of giving them money just hand out phone cards.:D

Ron

Even US coins are welcomed (so are Euro coins), the recipiant will then try to exchange the coins for bills from other tourists.

Or why not do as some cruise passengers with their cabin or restaurant staff, instead of giving them money just hand out phone cards.:D

Ron

Phone cards are really foolish.

1. How do you know they will work to places the person wants to call? They may work from your own country but not where the crew will call from.

2. They know where to get the ones they want much cheaper than you pay for your card. and most of them have cell phones anyway.

Give them cash. yes they can sometimes get other tourist to transfer coins into paper but do you really want to give a tip to someone and then have them work to make it useful to them?

It really isn't difficult to get local cash currency in small bills...it will take you less time then it will take them to beg change into paper and it makes the tip useful.

PS I changed two euro coins into US paper for a guide in Cairo.....

Phone cards are really foolish.

1. How do you know they will work to places the person wants to call? They may work from your own country but not where the crew will call from.

2. They know where to get the ones they want much cheaper than you pay for your card. and most of them have cell phones anyway.

Give them cash. yes they can sometimes get other tourist to transfer coins into paper but do you really want to give a tip to someone and then have them work to make it useful to them?

It really isn't difficult to get local cash currency in small bills...it will take you less time then it will take them to beg change into paper and it makes the tip useful.

PS I changed two euro coins into US paper for a guide in Cairo.....

Totally agrre with you about the phone cards. People these days are so naive, gone are thedays when a ball point pen or a few glass beads would suffice.

What is the going rate Euro to Dollar in Egypt 1 Euro = US $150?;)

Ron

Totally agrre with you about the phone cards. People these days are so naive, gone are thedays when a ball point pen or a few glass beads would suffice.

What is the going rate Euro to Dollar in Egypt 1 Euro = US $150?;)

Ron

I gave the guy(tourist police) 3 US for 2 Euro coins.

Archived