Crown BA Balcony vs. AB Mini

custompcsys

Hi Folks,

In checking prices on my upcoming Baltic cruise on the Crown, I noticed that the price difference between my BA balcony cabin and an AB minisuite is now less than $200 pp, and I was seriously considering calling my TA and asking to upgrade. I've only stayed in balconies so far and am currently booked in C422 which I think is a great location. The minis I am looking at are category AB on the Dolphin deck.

Any thoughts pro or con from you mini-suite veterans? Thanks!:)

The major difference is the size of the balcony. They are larger on the Caribe deck & are half covered & half open. The mini suite gives you a much bigger & nicer bathroom plus more inside space. Call the TA and ask some questions about the AB before you commit.

Jan

There is a HUGE difference between a balcony cabin and a mini suite. The mini suite will give you a sitting area (a small living room) with sofa, lamps, tables and comfortable chair. Also two televisions, a lot larger bathroom with full sized tub/shower combination.

About the only real perk that comes with mini suites would be a glass of champagne delivered by your room steward when you arrive.

The balcony in this mini is a tad smaller then the balcony stateroom you have booked, and totally exposed to above. But the design of the actual stateroom is so worth that small price.

We just booked a mini on the 14 day Hawaii cruise from LA and it was about $400 more per person than a balcony on the Caribe deck.We figured for 14 days the regular size balcony room might get a little bit small to us as the cruise went on.Previoulsly, we just always had a regular balcony cabin.I was not real crazy about the balcony be totally uncovered, but the size of the mini versus the regular balcony cabin is huge.I would take the mini if the cruise is longer than 7 days, and it probably is.

If it were me, I'd take the mini-suite because you get a lot more cabin space albeit a little less balcony space. But there'll still be plenty of room on the balcony. Plus, the bathroom has a tub/shower combination rather than the small shower.

We booked mini-suites for our Baltic cruise this summer rather than Caribe balcony cabins because we wanted more inside cabin space.

We have had the Princess Mini suite for our last couple of cruises, we were on the Crown in May the Mini bathroom is much bigger closet is much bigger, 2 tvs and sofa and chairs, my Mother in law was in qa very small balconey no sofa , tiny bathroom. ( also mini suite get a free glass of Champane when they board - we were given a bottle ) only negative on mini-suite is the balconey has no shade or privacy

Well, since the consensus seemed to be to go for it, I talked to my TA and went for it! Got an AB mini (D328) and it ended up costing $100 pp for the upgrade - even better than I had originally thought. The price was for new bookings only so we had to cancel our original and re-book, but I think it was well worth it, and the TA said we were nuts if we didn't do it for that price! :) I looked on the personalizer and the new booking looks fine.

Thanks to everyone for your thoughts - it pushed me over the edge! :)

Well, since the consensus seemed to be to go for it, I talked to my TA and went for it! Got an AB mini (D328) and it ended up costing $100 pp for the upgrade - even better than I had originally thought. The price was for new bookings only so we had to cancel our original and re-book, but I think it was well worth it, and the TA said we were nuts if we didn't do it for that price! :) I looked on the personalizer and the new booking looks fine.

Thanks to everyone for your thoughts - it pushed me over the edge! :)

I think that will be the best $100 pp you will spend on your entire cruise. Great deal BTW! Please let us know when you return. And if you get a chance, see if you can check out a regular balcony cabin onboard, just to give you a first hand view of one for reference.

I think that will be the best $100 pp you will spend on your entire cruise. Great deal BTW! Please let us know when you return. And if you get a chance, see if you can check out a regular balcony cabin onboard, just to give you a first hand view of one for reference.

I've had balcony cabins on the Star, Coral, and Caribbean Princess so I'm assuming the Crown's are basically the same, but I'm going to sneak a peek anyway just to check it out :) My only fear about all this is that when I went from an inside to a balcony I was hooked, and I'm afraid the same will happen with a mini! :)

I've had balcony cabins on the Star, Coral, and Caribbean Princess so I'm assuming the Crown's are basically the same, but I'm going to sneak a peek anyway just to check it out :) My only fear about all this is that when I went from an inside to a balcony I was hooked, and I'm afraid the same will happen with a mini! :)

Well, if you have had them on those ships, then you know what you gave up. ;) They won't be much different in comparison, if at all. Now I am anxious to see what you think of a mini suite after your sailing.

I do agree though, after years of booking balcony cabins, we finally decided on a mini, and have been there or a full suite ever since......... ;)

Don't forget to pack the bubble bath!

Glad you decided on the mini. We had the Dolphin deck on our last 2 princess cruises. Only once did we see anyone and it was 1 deck up when a wife kicked her husband out of the room. He looked so sad and asked if he could talk to us a while as he thought the rest of his night was doomed.:D

We have had the Princess Mini suite for our last couple of cruises, we were on the Crown in May the Mini bathroom is much bigger closet is much bigger, 2 tvs and sofa and chairs, my Mother in law was in qa very small balconey no sofa , tiny bathroom. ( also mini suite get a free glass of Champane when they board - we were given a bottle ) only negative on mini-suite is the balconey has no shade or privacy

Unless you go for one of the few mini's at the aft of Emerald deck. They are covered and you get a lot of privacy. But you're at the very aft of the ship - more noise, vibrations and rocking compared to mid ship on Dolphin.

Just came off Golden where we had a mini close to mid ship on Dolphin. We loved it! The privacy issue is not that big of a deal to us. Burning hot sun could be an issue on some cruises later in the summer months. Then it could be nice to have some shade. I agree with Cathy_p, you rarely see people out on the balconies when at sea anyway. I wouldn't hesitate a minute to book a mini on Dolphin again. We loved the view, looking directly down on the water, instead of looking down on other cabins below.

Archived