Matryoshka (Russian nesting dolls) Any advice???

2Oregonians

I would like to get some Matryoshka (Russian nesting dolls) for myself as well as gifts for 3 other people at home. For myself, I'm willing to spend a little more on nice ones, but for the friends, "nice, yet inexpensive" will do just fine. (Is that bad? LOL) Any advice on where to look? Ours is an Inside Passage Cruise - Juneau, Skagway, Ketchikan.

Thanks!!! :)

You can find them at any of the ports you are going to. We purchased ours at a shop in Skagway and they had a wide selection ranging from inexpensive to very expensive. My one requirement is that they couldn't say "Made In China"! I made a point of looking for those that were produced in Russia or Alaska. You can find very nice dolls for reasonable prices. My daughter has started a collection and she loves them. There is a book you will see that tells the story of the Matryoshka that I bought for my daughter with her first doll when we were in Skagway. It's great if there are any young girls on your shopping list.

Oh my gosh, you guys!! Great responses and so helpful!! That's why I love this board sooooo much!!!!

Coral - The fudge shop sounds yummy! I'll definitely take a detour into it while I'm hunting for my dolls! :p

Karatemom - do you remember where in Skagway? LOL on no "Made in China"! I totally agree!

Derf - Wow! Great blog with the big picture of all the beautiful dolls!! Haven't read it yet, but I will.

Thanks, everyone!! :)

We found some very nice ones in Sitka last cruise. It seemed in Sitka every

shop had some. But there were some shops you could find some nicer quality

painted ones. One of the favorite ones was the 12 days of Christmas painted

on each of the 2 dolls.

On our first cruise we found the best prices in Juneau at a shop across from the cruise ship and bought several sets for family. That cruise also had great prices one night on the ship and we bought a larger set for ourselves. The next cruise we found great prices in Sitka a few blocks from the dock and bought small sets for co-workers.

Archived