HAL surprised me!

lovecruzin

Yes we are in violation of the PVSA and we had to cancel our 1 day cruise. Now we won't get to use that upgrade that I was originally so excited about! But, we still have the 4 day Pacific Coastal and a couple of sea days. I appreciate everyone bringing this to my attention so I could be proactive and not get stuck in Vancouver after being denied boarding!

So, now I need to do some research about getting from Vancouver to Seattle and some number crunching!!

The Passenger Vessel Services Act of 1886 (sometimes abbreviated to PVSA, Passenger Services Act, or PSA) is a piece of United States legislation which came into force in 1886 relating to cabotage. Essentially, it says:

No foreign vessels shall transport passengers between ports or places in the United States, either directly or by way of a foreign port, under a penalty of $300 for each passenger so transported and landed.

Based upon what the OP is saying, it appears that his/her travel agency is attempting to work around the law by creating two independent unlinked bookings. I guess in theory, the travel agency expects the OP to pack up and disembark in Vancouver and then check in again.

There are probably only a handful of cruises a year, across all cruise lines, that are subject to the act, under normal conditions.

I don't understand, why this doesn't apply to Panama Canal cruises tht start in San Diego and end up in Ft. Lauderdale?

I don't understand, why this doesn't apply to Panama Canal cruises tht start in San Diego and end up in Ft. Lauderdale?

There are as many as 5 reasons, dependent upon the sail:

Mexico

Guatelmala

Costa Rica

Panama

Columbia

Yes we are in violation of the PVSA and we had to cancel our 1 day cruise. Now we won't get to use that upgrade that I was originally so excited about! But, we still have the 4 day Pacific Coastal and a couple of sea days. I appreciate everyone bringing this to my attention so I could be proactive and not get stuck in Vancouver after being denied boarding!

So, now I need to do some research about getting from Vancouver to Seattle and some number crunching!!

Sorry to hear that you are unable to do the extra day, especially because of some antiquated law. Yo did mention earlier that you did want to see Vancouver, so just think now you might have a little extra time to explore the city.

I was recently researching transportation for a friend from Vancouver to Seattle at the end of our cruise, as it turns out it isn't necessary but as I recall Amtrak seemed like a very reasonable option. you might want to check that out. From what I understand there is the opportunity to store your luggage for I believe $5 per suitcase in Vancouver, an all day bus pass is relatively inexpensive and you can explore till your hearts content.

You also might want to check out the west coast departures board. There are people from Vancouver who regularly answer questions about their city.

good luck and enjoy your cruise.....

Rochelle

Because those cruises make a stop at a distant foreign port, which on the Panama Canal cruises is usually a stop in the ABC Islands or South America.

lovecruzin, if you're not opposed to cruising with other lines, check to see whether there is another 1-night cruise coming back down to Seattle on the day you arrive or the day after. Last year we took the NCL Pearl from Seattle to Vancouver, walked across the terminal and boarded the Coral Princess to come back to San Francisco. It worked beautifully.

If that isn't possible, QuickCoach (http://www.quickcoach.com) runs buses from both Vancouver terminals straight to the Seattle airport. We've taken it before, and it's a good way to get down to Seattle. Check their website for times/costs.

lovecruzin, if you're not opposed to cruising with other lines, check to see whether there is another 1-night cruise coming back down to Seattle on the day you arrive or the day after. Last year we took the NCL Pearl from Seattle to Vancouver, walked across the terminal and boarded the Coral Princess to come back to San Francisco. It worked beautifully.

A most excellent idea.

I agree an excellent idea, I searched and unfortunately can't find a short cruise within the next day or 2!

They stop in multiple foreign ports.

The number of foreign ports isn't the criterion. It's the location of the port(s).

Assuming it's not a cruise to nowhere, when a non-US-flagged ship sails from a US port, and returns to the same port, it must stop at any foreign port.

When a non-US-flagged ship sails from a US port, and returns to a different US port, it must stop at a distant foreign port.

Archived