Discounted cruises

Algonquian

Yes. There is an online site which discounts all cruise lines, however the rules of this forum prohibit anyone from naming travel agents and liquidators. All I can say is pay attention to the banner ads. You will see this on-line discounter pop up frequently.

A few points on discounts and tipping. Because of the small size of the Windstar fleet, most cruises sell out, so discounts are not easy to find, especially in peak seasons. Certain agents do give small discounts - you should call Windstar and get a referral. With regard to tipping, it's included. However, it is not unusual to "take care of" certain staff who have been particularly attentive. You can verify this with Windstar.

I've enjoyed 2 Windstar cruises, Wind Spirit's Caribbean (Jan. 2008) and Wind Star's Costa Rica (Jan. 2007). Tipping was not included, rather a per-day amount for gratuities was charged to our shipboard account, as is common on most cruises nowadays. The amount was $11 per person per day.

The service was fantastic, and as usual, we gave additional tips (cash in an envelope, designated as "extra" so the crew member would not need to turn it into the tip pool) for those who had served us frequently and well, such as our cabin steward.

Both of our Windstar cruises were discounted. My first, on Wind Star, was booked through an on-line agency. The second, on Wind Spirit, was booked directly with Windstar; with the Foremast discount it seemed a good deal, and was a better price than other agencies I checked with at the time I booked.

Because I LOVE the sails, the open bridge, the small number of passengers, the uncrowded ports visited, and the informality of dress and shipboard ambience, Windstar is always a "good deal" to me provided I can afford to go! Of my 15 cruises, the two on Windstar ships are my absolute favorites.

When we booked our Windsurf Monaco Grand Prix cruise, I used my

local travel agency that I have trusted for years. BUT, before I booked with them I e-mailed them a link to a large website (the one that circles the earth in outer space). They had an online deal that was about $350pp less than our local agency. Our local agency contacted the cruise line and got us an onboard credit for 1/2 of the difference plus they gave us a small discount in addition. This pretty much gave us the same deal the online agency offered. I hated to do this to them but I guess $700 is better in my pocket than someone elses... Bottom line If you have a local agency you use frequently, give them a chance, the worst they can say is we can't do it.

Little over 5 weeks and counting....

• 2 weeks later...

We never pay "list." I don't need a travel agent holding my hand so I book via internet. Also purchase travel insurance at a much better price.

Plenty of on line agencies that discount Windstar cruises. Google "discount"+"Windstar" Google "cruise"+"compete." Google "sta"+"travel" as starters.

Also try the ITA website for comprehensive information on flights, prices, where you can locate a flight meeting your criteria for departure, arrival, time in the air, layovers, price, etc. Sign on as a guest. You can sort by all types of options and then go to the individual airline site to book. I find this very helpful in identifying the best price/value for your flight options. Booking through the cruise line normally will cost you more and does not allow you much flexiblity in terms of your flight preferences.

Also remember when you've sailed on Windstar, you are eligible for discounted alumni sailings in the future.

• 3 weeks later...

Archived