Rome as a Port of Embarkation?

tisue2006

How do you plan excursions in Rome when it is your port of embark? Do you have to get there a day early or leave a day ;ate? I have never been to Rome and want to be sure to hit the highlights and be able to see as much as we can with out spending extra days if possible. I am a first time cruiser, and didn't know how ti works when it is the city where you start and end.

Welcome to Cruise Critic! There is so much to learn here!

While Rome is a wonderful city, technically it is not the point of embarkation--that would be Civitavecchia, about a 90-minute bus ride from Rome. So you may want to factor that in your planning.

In 2006 we did a cruise which originated from Civitavecchia and we flew in 4 days early, using a pre-cruise package by Holland America and it was wonderful. But, you do not have to that in order to see and enjoy Rome. I would recommend that you arrive at least allot at least 3 days total to see Rome, whether pre- or post-cruise or both. There is so much to see and Rome is a BIG city, and IMO, best enjoyed by walking between most of the major sights and sites.

Even though we used the pre-cruise package, we still used our free time to see Rome on our own, relying primarily on Rick Steve's Rome travel guide and also participating in 3 separate walking tours with a tour company and using the hop-on, hop-off sightseeing bus, too.

I would also recommend that you check out the "Western Europe-Med" sub-forum, within the "Ports of Call" forum here on Cruise Critic--tons of great ideas and information over there. Half the fun of cruising is the planning part!

Most people generally board the ship in the late morning - early afternoon and have lunch on board. Doesn't leave much time for seeing Rome, although you could chose to board a little later (you have to be on board a couple of hours before the ship sails), and spend the morning sight seeing, I suppose. Given the unpredictability of flights, it's often a good idea to fly in a day in advance. HAL has a "shore excursion" transfer back to the airport that tours the city, but I don't know that it does more than drive by most sites- you can check out the description on the shore excursions list at HAL. Just remember that "you will see" might mean you see from the bus! It may drop you off a central point for a bit of free roam time. Of course, that doesn't work if you have an early flight home. Rome is wonderful - if you can add a day or two on either end of the trip you won't be sorry.

If you prefer not to spend any time pre or post cruise, I would not bother to go into Rome.

More than likely you are going to be exhausted from your overnight flight, the time differences and the lines at immigration on your inbound.

The trip into Rome and back and easily eat up 3+ hours and this does not leave much time to see or do anything.

Like the others, I think you have to add days onto your trip or save the visit of Rome, for another time.

Need some advice for a friend. DEPENDABLE advice.

Has anyone had an excellent experience with a car and driver for transport to and from airport to Rome and to/from ship to airport?

Can you provide contact info and approximate cost?

Thanks.

I cannot give DEPENDABLE advice, but since this thread is about to disappear to page 2, I thought I would help get it back to the first page.

Stephano with RomeCabs has been recommended numerous times on the Mediterranean board. We have made reservations with this company for our June cruise. So far, the correspondence with Stephano has been outstanding!

Here's the website: http://www.romecabs.com/

We are taking transfers from FCO to Civitavecchia and from Civitavecchia (I love this name! :D ) back to Rome and have an all day tour in Rome.

The more passengers, the better the rate. We have 6 persons, so the transportation cost comes out to be less than the cruiseline airport transfers. We couldn't use the transfers anyway, because we arrive a day early and leave 2 days later. http://www.romecabs.com/transfers.html

Thank you, Sea Island Lady.

Very helpful.

We used HAL's transfers the times we sailed from Rome and found them fine . Once we had a post cruise stay in Rome and went from the ship to Rome with the bus and another time we had Rome just as a port day. We purchased round trip ride on the bus for the ride to and from the city but did not want their tour. Worked out great.

Need some advice for a friend. DEPENDABLE advice.

Has anyone had an excellent experience with a car and driver for transport to and from airport to Rome and to/from ship to airport?

Can you provide contact info and approximate cost?

Thanks.

Stefano with Rome Cabs or Duman with Rome In Limo are both very good. Dependable, knowledgeable, nice vehicles. Contact info by Google. Both show up. Costs? With the US Lira the way it is, anybodys guess. They are worth it!

Jim.

Stefano with Rome Cabs or Duman with Rome In Limo are both very good. Dependable, knowledgeable, nice vehicles. Contact info by Google. Both show up. Costs? With the US Lira the way it is, anybodys guess. They are worth it!

Jim.

Here's a link:

http://www.romeinlimo.com/pre-cruise.htm

Cost today is $630 U.S. for pick-up at the airport, a tour and return to the port. Entrance fees to exhitits are extra.

We used Stefano's company when we were in Rome. We had him pick 4 of us from the ship and take us to two different hotels. We contracted for rides from the hotels to the airport. This was on two different days since on couple had 2 days post cruise and we had 3 days. All the services were great

During this period, we used his services for a Vatican tour for 6. The guide met us at the Vatican so we did not have to pay extra for a pickup (which we did not need). She went way out of her way to the point that the two hour tour lasted at least 2 1/2 hours and than she wanted to walk us to the bus stop so we didn't get lost. Then she was suprised we gave her a tip.

I would highly recommend them.

Archived