Louvre to Notre Dame, walking distance?

Paris is a very walkable city if you have the time to spare. If, on the other hand, you are there for only the day I would use cabs or their fabulous subway to get around.If you are only there for the day I would also skip the Louvre as it takes a lot of time., however, you are there for a few days, you can skip the entrance lines by using the subway to drop you off underground at the Louvre. A better museum in my opinion is the Musee D' Orsay on the other side of the river.

How far apart are the Louvre and Notre Dame when on foot? How long would it take to walk from one to the other?

They're about a 15 minute walk, depending on how quickly you walk. A subway or cab could get you there quicker, but Paris is beautiful and walking can be half the fun.

If you are art fans, then the Louvre will take you all day and won't leave much time for anything else. If you're like me and don't know anything about art (*blush*), you can pick one or two galleries that sound interesting and spend just a short while there. I also recommend people-watching in the courtyard area with the pyramids.

How far apart are the Louvre and Notre Dame when on foot? How long would it take to walk from one to the other?

It is a hike as I just did it in Nov as I was staying in Paris..if you walk fast and steady it will take about 45 min is my guess because I did not do that...I stopped for coffee,window shopping etc..It is a fun walk and the walk is enjoyable.

The distance between the two it only 1.5km (just less than 1 mile)...how long it takes you will depend on how many times you stop to window shop ...to enjoy the cafes etc.

As a previous poster suggested 15 mins or thereabouts to walk direct!

The distance between the two it only 1.5km (just less than 1 mile)...how long it takes you will depend on how many times you stop to window shop ...to enjoy the cafes etc. As a previous poster suggested 15 mins or thereabouts to walk direct!

Agree that it's about a 15 minute walk, if you go in the right direction. Longer, if you twist and turn in exiting the Louvre. From the glass pyramid, you can go east, cutting through and under the older building in that direction, up Quai Mitterrand, cross the beautiful Pont Neuf, then up the Quai des Orfievres. It's nice and pleasant with much to see and enjoy. You could take the main Metro line under Rue de Rivoli from the Louvre Rivoli station to Hotel de Ville (City Hall) station, then south across the Pont d'Arco bridge and right to Notre Dame.

The d'Orsay Museum is super great (with a wonderful dining room for lunch, etc.). BUT, you can still spend a great few hours in the Louvre and have a fabulous experience. You don't have to see everything there or try. The Napoleon III Apartments are spectacular. The sculptures in the large covered courtyards are usually not that crowded.

THANKS! Enjoy! Terry in Ohio

The distance between the two it only 1.5km (just less than 1 mile)...how long it takes you will depend on how many times you stop to window shop ...to enjoy the cafes etc.

As a previous poster suggested 15 mins or thereabouts to walk direct!

Thanks everyone. That is what I needed to know. Will not really have time to tour the Louvre, but was thinking of using Batobus to get from the Eiffel Tower to Notre Dame and the river is high so the closest they are currently able able to go is the stop for the Louvre. Maybe that will change before we get there on April 25) A 1 mile walk and probable lunch along the way (hopefully a creperie is en route) would be just fine and rather enjoyable, and still fit into our cramped one day excursion.

A 1 mile walk and probable lunch along the way (hopefully a creperie is en route) would be just fine and rather enjoyable, and still fit into our cramped one day excursion.

As i recall, much of that walk passes the river, government buildings, park, etc. I don't recall that many nice or interesting places to eat. You might need to cross the bridge to the south of Notre Dame and grab something in the charming left bank area. Or in the Louvre. Lots of options. You won't go hungry. Or, you could do lunch at one of the many bakeries/boulangerie/patisserie shops. Most are very cute and wonderful. Great breads! Get a sandwich, pastry, drink. Maybe some cheese. Other nice fresh things. Maybe spend only $4-5-6 a person. Eat in a park area or bench in Paris. Like a little picnic! Enjoy! Terry in Ohio

Archived