Playboy Jazz Cruise Jan 2009

Cour10ay

We are thinking about booking this cruise. Can anyone tell me how this is done? Must we book through LLC? Also, we've never done a theme cruise before. What are they like? There is a stop at Half Moon Cay - will there be performances there, too? Never cruise HAL before, either, we're strictly Celebrity and RCI.

Any input most appreciated!

Cour10Day,

I have cruised with Jazz Cruises LLC 2 times. We booked the Smooth Jazz Cruise in Jan 2007 and Dave Koz and Friends in Nov. 2007. Never again. If you go to the heading of Capitol Jazz Cruise and Dave Koz on this page and open it up you will probably see my review which is in several places. The HAL/Carnival Cruise lines is okay and great for the over 70 crowd. The food is mediocre at best and the activities are normally limited. Since you are on a jazz cruise they provide the activites, it is a full ship charter.

I have many objections to booking with jazz cruises llc primarily the owner Micheal Lazaroff a very nasty,insipid,cocky gentleman, I the use the term lightly....No you cannot book with anyone else they have bought the ship for that week. They bring on their people and control everything including the types of food we are presented. We are a captive audience. The entertianment for the most part is what was promised, not that you can always see everyone or do everything. It is a quick week and after it is all over and you have paid three times the normal fare you need a vacation.

Later,

Rhonda aka mucklucks

as Rhonda indicated, you have to book thru LLC since it's their charter...I have always wanted to go on one of theirs and am still seriously considering the Playboy Cruise because of the line up and I am a big HAL fan, but logisitics may prevent me from doing so this year and I have an alternative plan

something for you to consider..if you are looking at the Playboy Jazz Cruise due to the line up, as an alternative you may consider attending the Playboy Jazz Festival in mid June held in Los Angeles which has almost all of the artist that will be on the cruise and a much cheaper alternative (of course you don't get the cruise thrown in or have access to the artist)

I have been on two AllStar Smooth Jazz Cruises (different company) on the Conquest and even thou they were not full charters, they were awesome..I am seriously considering the Captial Jazz Cruise in late September out of Baltimore on the Grandeur of the Seas going to Bermuda with the primary reason of Brian Culbertson...this one is a 5 day and I am also looking at the AllStar Music Cruise in late January out of Miami on the Celebrity Century Ship ( 5 days also)

My experience on my two jazz cruises is that you have awesome music, great access to the musicians and the BEST part are the nightly jam sessions, where even the passengers who play instruments get to join in

as I am sure you have found out, the full charter jazz cruises are not cheap...my girlfriend always ask me that since we live in New Orleans we get to see most of the great jazz artist at the New Orleans Jazz and Heritage Festival every year so why would I pay that much to see them on a cruise ship

as I am sure you have found out, the full charter jazz cruises are not cheap...my girlfriend always ask me that since we live in New Orleans we get to see most of the great jazz artist at the New Orleans Jazz and Heritage Festival every year so why would I pay that much to see them on a cruise ship

atmosphere - change of pace - keep from getting bored with the same old grind

Jackie..you are so right...I have become spoiled with the jazz cruises to the point that if I went on a "regular" cruise I would be bored:) :)

my response that I always give to my girlfriend is, anytime she wants to foot the bill for a regular cruise, I'll be glad to go with her and if she does not want to come on the charter jazz cruise, I understand

to date, she has not taken me up on either offer:D :D

The blues cruise is a fully chartered cruise with great entertainment. In Jan 09 it has Taj Mahal, Etta James and Fabulous Thunderbirds to name a few. It's on the Eurodam and is sure to sell our quickly.

• 3 weeks later...

From me, too, thanks for the encouragement regarding the Jazz Cruise! Court's booked it, and I'm getting really excited!

To be perfectly honest, if I get to spend a week in the Caribbean, spending my days at the beach and my nights listening to Gods like Herbie Hancock and James Carter, I might just bring myself to putting up with food quality issues. I'd only hate it if Playboy were to bring any bunnies. :wink:

G.

Archived