Shipping Luggage To A Port

LizB1

It would help if you told us what ship you're on. Some cruise lines allow you to ship luggage, and some do not. Carnival, RCCI, Celebrity and NCL don't allow shipped luggage. Seabourn, Cunard, RSSC, Crystal and Silversea have luggage shipping services. We attempted to ship luggage for a 10 day cruise on Celebrity and they adamantly refused to allow us to ship the bags to their port agent. What you have to do is find out the name of the local port agent your cruise line uses (if they allow shipping of bags in the first place) and contact that person to see how they handle shipped bags. You then have the choice of shipping via Fed Ex, DHL or UPS and arranging the shipping.

Thanks for your answers...particularly Stephen. I have contacted luggagefree and they seem reliable so may go this route. It is actually for friends who will be traveling from VA to Boston for the HAL ship Maasdam next summer.

Liz, you have to make sure that HAL will accept shipped luggage. Yes, Luggage free will ship to anywhere, but the problem will be if the cruise line will accept the shipped bags. Unless your friends can arrange for Luggage free to meet them at an exact time and place at the port, there might be a problem if HAL refuses to accept shipped bags. Tell your friends to call HAL and see if they will have someone accept shipped bags.

I always ship my luggage via FEDEX. However, the only cruise line I've been on that accepts shipped luggage is Cunard and they use DHL. It would be a dream if more cruise lines would accept shipped luggage--it makes traveling so much easier!! ;)

Just found out that the Port Agent will not accept shipped luggage...so now we have the problem. The only solution I can see is for their luggage to be shipped to our home and as we are sailing on that cruise we would have to take it to the pier and then home again to ship back. Still trying to figure out the best solution!

Thanks everyone for your help and ideas.

I am sure that being able to ship your luggage to a port facility would be easier, but would that really be something that should be expanded or even encouraged. I see too many flaws in a system that is already over extended and exposed. I don't like the idea of luggage being loaded from faceless shippers with the documentation being presented at the origin point of shipping. Just my thoughts.

Archived