Paranoid about airfare to/from San Juan

warmwinds

We always book our own air, and we usually use FF miles. This time we want to pay for the tickets, and we are now at the 329 day point - the furthest out you can book.

One part of me wants to wait and see if the airfare goes lower as the year progresses, but another part of me is paranoid that all the flights out of San Juan later than 10 am will be gone if I wait.

I wouldn't have this problem if the cruise was out of Florida, because there are so many more options, but the fact that there are limited flights from San Juan has me concerned.

Celebrity does not have their air fares yet (and I've never booked air through them) - so I really don't know what to do.

Do I book now at the (not bad but not great price) or wait? What would you (or have you) done?

for my Aug 08 cruise I booked the air flights from NY to San Juan in Dec I got a rate of 308.80 for non stop flights. I am glad that I did because if I were to book them today the same flights are 520.80 as of this morning. It's a crape shoot I would keep checking aroung on a daily basis & watch the rates. Unfortunately with all of the added fuel adjustments that is what has increased the plane fares.

We went to San Juan over the Presidents Day weekend for some needed relief from Chicago's cold and snowy winter. We picked SJU because we got an airfare of $309/ea non-stop on UA. We've watched airfares to SJU over the years (considering cruises, etc) and that was the best fare we had seen from Chicago, certainly during the winter months.

I don't know where you're flying from, nor the fare you're considering, but my advice would be if you have something under $350-375, book it now.

Do I book now at the (not bad but not great price) or wait? What would you (or have you) done?

Give us some prices and originating airports and you'll get advice.

If you're at the 329-day point, that means your return is the end of February, but your flight down could be over Presidents' Day or during that vacation week. In which case, you probably won't get super discounts further along. I really doubt any flight will sell out for many months to come, but the cheap fares might go away. How bad is "not bad"?

The magic 329 number is really the one to count on when you are using frequent flyer miles because they are few in number, and are "sold out" soon, depending upon popularity of the route. I got my ATL-YVR non-stop seats for an Alaska cruise for Labor Day weekend before the airline realized it was a holiday, I think!

I think the best use of FF miles is for the long, expensive trips, not the ATL-MIA or JFK or Philly or Boston, whcih you can usually get for $2-300, and like you say, there are plenty of them all day long. I'd consider a flight to SJU up there in the expensive class.

Do you not have sufficient FF miles to do that for SJU? I know there comes a time when we have to buy full fare tickets!

I do know what you mean about waiting for a fare sale. Sometimes I see a good price but it is only for Tues or Weds and that's not good for a Saturday cruise!

Everyone seems willing to help you out on specials from their cities. So tell us what routing you need.

I did say what routing I needed - PDX SJU PDX. We DO have enough FF miles for this trip, but we really want to collect more for Europe. That's why we're buying tickets for this trip.

So, does everyone think $465 from the West Coast is an OK deal?

Warmwinds

Considering that until January the air fare from Philly directly to San Juan was up around $1300 pp that's a steal from the west coast. We paid $340 from Philly, non-stop but the prices have gone up since then. AND remember some airlines are now charging for luggage so take that into consideration. I know United charges $25 per bag, Spirit charges $20 - and additional for each and as of May 1 US Air is charging also. That means they're all not far behind.

So, I might wait a little longer but today they announced that the airlines are increasing prices due to fuel increases so -- right now it's a crap shoot as to whether it will go down. I wish you good luck though.

Our next cruise is from FLL because we can fly - that's why we're doing FLL. No more flying for a while.

Pat C

Oh yes, from the west coast that's a good price!

I have a friend who lives in Reno who says she would never use her FF miles for anything but Europe since it's usually so expensive to get there from the west coast. So I know just what you mean about saving your FF miles for Europe. Good going.

PS about asking for your routing. I was typing when you posted your route so did not see it until I hit save. Sorry

Archived